Change someones "Found IT" to a DNF

lazydawg

I recently had someone drop a new container and claimed a find on one of my caches. I checked and the cache was exactly where it should be. I donot think that it is right nor fair to other cachers that actually look for and find a cache before they claim it as a find. I was wondering if I could remove the find and replace it with a dnf and if so; how do I go about it?

All you could do is delete the found it log (preferably with an explanation e-mail to them) and let them re-log it as a dnf if they want.

If you're asking how to remove a found it log, go to the log, click "view log" and when it refreshes, you'll see a little red X in the top right corner to delete the log.

I think the proper etiquette is to email them first and explain. Give them the chance to do the right thing. Then, if they don't fix it, you can delete the log yourself. In the end, it might not be worth getting in a war over it.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

As a very new cacher, I have heard that the CO can erase a find somehow .. I had thought of it on an easy one I put out, but the "finder" rescinded the find shortly after my cache went missing. I'd send an email first, but am confident more experienced folks will be along shortly with the correct way ..

I agree, if it is there then the Find should be anulled

I recently had someone drop a new container and claimed a find on one of my caches. I checked and the cache was exactly where it should be. I donot think that it is right nor fair to other cachers that actually look for and find a cache before they claim it as a find. I was wondering if I could remove the find and replace it with a dnf and if so; how do I go about it?

This is what is called a 'throw-down' cache.

They are hardly ever a good idea, and certainly not a substitute for actually finding the cache.

People who do this may claim to be 'just trying to help the owner', but it's clear they are just trying to help themselves to an un-deserved smilie.

You checked your cache, and your container is still there. 'They' didn't find it, and you should delete their log immediately. Naturally you should also remove their 'litter', so others don't get confused by it.

Common courtesy dictates you should send a follow-up message explaining that you deleted their log because they didn't find your cache.

... 'They' didn't find it, and you should delete their log immediately. Naturally you should also remove their 'litter', so others don't get confused by it.

Common courtesy dictates you should send a follow-up message explaining that you deleted their log because they didn't find your cache.

This

Throw down caches are just not a good idea. Although I believe that most cachers who put out replacement caches do so with good intentions of helping out the CO, they almost always cause angst.

If I were the cache owner, I would delete the log and send a nice email to the logger, explaining why you deleted the log and suggesting they log their dnf. I would also thank them for their attempt to help and suggest they might want to attempt the find again since the original cache is still there, perhaps with a hint on what they missed.

Make sure you remove what they left as soon as possible. Otherwise other searchers will find it first and log a find, assuming it's the cache. Then you end up with a real dilemma: delete the logs of some finders who signed a logbook and did nothing wrong, or keep the logs knowing that they never found your cache.

As for the person who dropped the new container, I'd delete their log now. There's no point in emailing them-- they knew what they were doing.

... Although I believe that most cachers who put out replacement caches do so with good intentions of helping out the CO, ...

Cannot disagree more. None of them tries to help CO, they just want an undeserved smile and don't care about anything else, geocaching is not their game, it's just "I want to raise my numbers".

Delete the log. E-mail the user.

Please, if anyone finds the throwdown before you have a chance to remove it, just let their log stand.

Unfortunately, this person really has created work for you, the need to go remove the second cache ASAP.

I have another point of view on this. Especially for someone who repeatedly throws down caches. Email everyone that found your cache after the throw down was places. Let them know that you discovered a throw down and who did it. Then tell them that they need to email you back with a description of the container they found. If they describe the throw down or don't email back then erase their find. Invite them to log a DNF and revisit the cache site to find the cache you hid. Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them from throwing down again.

Edited by Glenn

I have just emailed the cache "finder" and asked them to change the log. Will wait and see what happens.

That sounds polite, and I hope it's what I would have done. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had any problem with you just deleting the entry out of hand. There's nothing wrong with removing a log that you know for a fact was inaccurate, even if you think it was an honest mistake.

In addition, I'd suggest posting an Owner Maintenance log explaining that you went out there and removed a bogus replacement cache.

Please, if anyone finds the throwdown before you have a chance to remove it, just let their log stand.

Unfortunately, this person really has created work for you, the need to go remove the second cache ASAP.

I have another point of view on this. Especially for someone who repeatedly throws down caches. Email everyone that found your cache after the throw down was places. Let them know that you discovered a throw down and who did it. Then tell them that they need to email you back with a description of the container they found. If they describe the throw down or don't email back then erase their find. Invite them to log a DNF and revisit the cache site to find the cache you hid. Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them throwing down again.

While I think I understand your concept I disagree with it. You are advocating punishing innocent cachers for the bad behavior of someone else.

I have another point of view on this. Especially for someone who repeatedly throws down caches. Email everyone that found your cache after the throw down was places. Let them know that you discovered a throw down and who did it. Then tell them that they need to email you back with a description of the container they found. If they describe the throw down or don't email back then erase their find. Invite them to log a DNF and revisit the cache site to find the cache you hid. Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them throwing down again.

While I think I understand your concept I disagree with it. You are advocating punishing innocent cachers for the bad behavior of someone else.

+1 I wouldn't harass cachers who may have found the throwdown. Their found logs should stand.

I agree with contacting the cacher who did the throw-down to give them the chance to do the right thing. Then delete if they don't. :D

+1 I wouldn't harass cachers who may have found the throwdown. Their found logs should stand.

I agree with contacting the cacher who did the throw-down to give them the chance to do the right thing. Then delete if they don't. :D

Allowing logs on throw downs isn't that far from allowing armchair logging. I'm curious what you would do if the cache is a terrain 5 (30 foot up a tree) and the throw down is placed at the base of the tree. Or the cache is of the evil variety and has a difficulty of 4+ and the throw down is just resting on the ground.

Allowing logs on throw downs isn't that far from allowing armchair logging. I'm curious what you would do if the cache is a terrain 5 (30 foot up a tree) and the throw down is placed at the base of the tree. Or the cache is of the evil variety and has a difficulty of 4+ and the throw down is just resting on the ground.

Seems easy to me. If the throwdown is clearly different from the actual hide then finders of the throwdown should be fully aware they did not find the actual cache and any found it logs for the throw down should be deleted after proper notice is given by the cache owner. Common sense should prevail and we really should not be needing to discuss and debate every possible iteration of a throwdown here.

While you may consider deleting a log if you can tell from the contents that the writer found the throwdown, I wouldn't actively ask other cachers to jump through hoops for something that they couldn't have prevented.

Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them throwing down again.

Do you realize that the person who throws down a cache and the finders afterwards are separate people? The finders of a throwdown did not leave it there, someone before them did, and no amount of harassing emails can keep them from repeating something that they didn't do in the first place. They are the collateral damage of the war against throwdowns.

Also, your usage of the term "peer pressure" in this context is not correct. (That whole sentence is wrong actually. I think you meant "keep them from throwing down again.")

Edited by Ambient_Skater

Seems easy to me. If the throwdown is clearly different from the actual hide then finders of the throwdown should be fully aware they did not find the actual cache and any found it logs for the throw down should be deleted after proper notice is given by the cache owner. Common sense should prevail and we really should not be needing to discuss and debate every possible iteration of a throwdown here.

If common sense prevailed then we wouldn't have to discuss throw downs at all because there would be no throw downs.

If the cache owner gave a decent description of the cache and good hint then perhaps finders would be able to distinguish a throw down from the real cache. I would also say that this might discourage throw downs, except that I I've found throw downs that clearly don't match the description or the hint.

However, without a clear description and hint from the owner, I doubt that I would think that just because a high terrain or difficulty cache was easy to get to or easy to find that this means it's a throw down. There is always a certain amount of cache migration. Sometimes the attachment mechanism fails and the cache can't be replaced exactly as found. And weather often destroys the original camouflage.

In my experience throw downs are generally left for caches that should have been easy finds anyhow. I think there have been more cases where I found the original cache which the cache owner had left a replacement for, than when there was a throw down and the original cache is still there.

If the cache owner gave a decent description of the cache and good hint then perhaps finders would be able to distinguish a throw down from the real cache. I would also say that this might discourage throw downs, except that I I've found throw downs that clearly don't match the description or the hint.

Since you'd be the cache owner you'd make sure you have good descriptions.

However, without a clear description and hint from the owner, I doubt that I would think that just because a high terrain or difficulty cache was easy to get to or easy to find that this means it's a throw down. There is always a certain amount of cache migration. Sometimes the attachment mechanism fails and the cache can't be replaced exactly as found. And weather often destroys the original camouflage.

Sounds like a cache that is in need of maintenance. That's a different issue.

In my experience throw downs are generally left for caches that should have been easy finds anyhow. I think there have been more cases where I found the original cache which the cache owner had left a replacement for, than when there was a throw down and the original cache is still there.

My post is describing what I would do for someone repeatedly throws down. This is different from the situation you describe here. Also, when the cache owner does it you can't really call it a throw down.

I think you meant "keep them from throwing down again.")

Yes, I did. Fix it. Thanks.

In this case, the correct term is "fixed it."

You have not addressed the other points I made in my post. Subsequent finders should not be blamed for the actions of one irresponsible cacher.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

I have another point of view on this. Especially for someone who repeatedly throws down caches. Email everyone that found your cache after the throw down was places. Let them know that you discovered a throw down and who did it. Then tell them that they need to email you back with a description of the container they found. If they describe the throw down or don't email back then erase their find. Invite them to log a DNF and revisit the cache site to find the cache you hid. Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them from throwing down again.

Punish everyone else because of one person's indiscretion? I'd much rather not play that game. Besides, if it is not some fly-by-niter and actually someone who would respond to peer pressure, I could probably get better results by handling it personally.

Also, we had a guy down here announce on his cache page that he just discovered a throw down at his cache site and that he was going to start deleting logs going back two years. It caused so much fuss that the reviewer simply archived and locked it.

While you may consider deleting a log if you can tell from the contents that the writer found the throwdown, I wouldn't actively ask other cachers to jump through hoops for something that they couldn't have prevented.

Hopefully a little peer pressure will keep them throwing down again.

Do you realize that the person who throws down a cache and the finders afterwards are separate people? The finders of a throwdown did not leave it there, someone before them did, and no amount of harassing emails can keep them from repeating something that they didn't do in the first place. They are the collateral damage of the war against throwdowns.

Also, your usage of the term "peer pressure" in this context is not correct. (That whole sentence is wrong actually. I think you meant "keep them from throwing down again.")

His suggested method may have the effect of having the other cachers put pressure on the offender, thus "peer pressure". I think that it's a cheap way out. If I have a problem with some other cacher, I'll either ignore it or deal with it personally. If necessary, I might get someone to help moderate, but I wouldn't start messing with other people's find history to get them to do my bidding.

Punish everyone else because of one person's indiscretion? I'd much rather not play that game. Besides, if it is not some fly-by-niter and actually someone who would respond to peer pressure, I could probably get better results by handling it personally.

I wouldn't be the one punishing them. The person placing the throwing down is doing the punishing. Especially if the cache is a unique, clever, or evil hide or the cache container is unique.

I've found a couple throw downs before. Only to discover that it was throw down after I'd returned home and was logging the cache online. I've returned and then found the correct cache container and log. I did NOT log multiple finds on the same cache. That would be like logging a find for each piece of trash you CITO.

Throw down caches are just not a good idea. Although I believe that most cachers who put out replacement caches do so with good intentions of helping out the CO, they almost always cause angst.

If I were the cache owner, I would delete the log and send a nice email to the logger, explaining why you deleted the log and suggesting they log their dnf. I would also thank them for their attempt to help and suggest they might want to attempt the find again since the original cache is still there, perhaps with a hint on what they missed.

e

I agree. I think that most cachers who leave 'throw-downs' do so with the best intentions and only want to help. Someone left a throw-down at one of our cache locations the other day because he couldn't find our cache and was sure it was gone. The hard part about contacting this member about this particular throw-down was, this cacher didn't then log his own throw-down as a find! Ikes!

We don't mind if someone does this on one of our LPC caches when the location is obvious.