Cash in the Cache

I didn't quote Frinklabs, but I have used U.S.A. silver dollar sized Chinese coins as swag purchased at a local "Chinese" Dollar Store. I'm sure I've left several in Mississagua. I don't remember exactly where though, and it's been like 3 years. Go for it. :lol:

Hey, I have left plenty of those in caches also. I then checked and found that they were worth some serious money. I then checked even further and discovered that they were counterfeit steel versions, as they could be picked up with a magnet. :P They are still fairly interesting, though.

I didn't quote Frinklabs, but I have used U.S.A. silver dollar sized Chinese coins as swag purchased at a local "Chinese" Dollar Store. I'm sure I've left several in Mississagua. I don't remember exactly where though, and it's been like 3 years. Go for it. :lol:

Hey, I have left plenty of those in caches also. I then checked and found that they were worth some serious money. I then checked even further and discovered that they were counterfeit steel versions, as they could be picked up with a magnet. :P They are still fairly interesting, though.

Almost didn't see this. I get them from a totally independent Dollar store run by a Chinese family. Sometimes Silver Dollar sized ones 6 or 8 for $2, sometimes 12 or 16 Kenedy half dollar sized ones for $2. Sometimes loose silver dollar sized ones. Gee, now I have to go get some more, and check this out. It's been at least a year.

EDIT: My guess is I've left 250 of them in caches.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Almost didn't see this. I get them from a totally independent Dollar store run by a Chinese family. Sometimes Silver Dollar sized ones 6 or 8 for $2, sometimes 12 or 16 Kenedy half dollar sized ones for $2. Sometimes loose silver dollar sized ones. Gee, now I have to go get some more, and check this out. It's been at least a year.

EDIT: My guess is I've left 250 of them in caches.

I've also bought them from an independent Dollar store run by a Chinese family (they also own a restaurant in the same strip mall). The coins I've bought are a bit larger than a silver dollar and are sold as "souvenir coins". I seem to recall paying more than that but never really considered that they may be worth more than a dollar each.

WOW! So the very first cache actually WAS BURIED!!! No rules about digging holes back then... :P

(i know... i know... off topic!)

Buried and had food in it. The second cache also had alcohol.

Wait stop you can't put alcohol in caches?

Whew, I almost had a heart attack there. At first I read it incorrectly as, "you can't put alcohol in CACHERS" and I was envisioning the apocalypse... :o

WOW! So the very first cache actually WAS BURIED!!! No rules about digging holes back then... :P

Whew, I almost had a heart attack there. At first I read it incorrectly as, "you can't put alcohol in CACHERS" and I was envisioning the apocalypse... :o

How awesome would it be to find a cold beer in a cache after a long summer hike.... I see the problems with my statement but I mean it would be awesome. Plus it would get a lot of teenagers active in geocaching if we stocked caches with booze.

My granddaughter loves to find coins in caches. In alot of the caches we find, there isn't much of interest in them, rocks, business cards or maybe even some toys that don't interest her, so if she can find a penny or nickel, she's happy. We leave custom made signature items (beaded keychains and usually rubber ducks) if the cache is big enough. We leave the keychains even when we don't take anything.1b19b841-73fd-4fb9-b52d-25ad33f943d9.jpg

Someone found one of our keychains and made a TB out of it. Sadly it's gone missing now.

Edited by QuiltinNana

My granddaughter loves to find coins in caches. In alot of the caches we find, there isn't much of interest in them, rocks, business cards or maybe even some toys that don't interest her, so if she can find a penny or nickel, she's happy. We leave custom made signature items (beaded keychains and usually rubber ducks) if the cache is big enough. We leave the keychains even when we don't take anything.1b19b841-73fd-4fb9-b52d-25ad33f943d9.jpg

Someone found one of our keychains and made a TB out of it. Sadly it's gone missing now.

That's a beautiful keychain! I wouldn't mind finding something like that in a cache. :anibad: I've learned that it really doesn't matter if you have something attached to a geocoin/tag or not... some things just disappear. Someone carried one of my tags all the way to Groundspeak HQ to put it in their cache and the next thing I know, I'm getting an e-mail from them letting me know my tag (with its shrinky dink wolf tag attachment) is now MIA. Heartbreaking.

I've left a few bucks as an FTF prize for gas money a few times. I left several dollars in quarters in Necropolis so the next few finders who forgot to bring quarters could roll the special smashed coin inside the final.

Over all it's a bad practice to leave any money in caches if it is legal tender in the country where the cache resides. Foreign money is cool and I really like finding it in caches.

If it was perceived that all caches contained money, lots more caches would get "muggled."

I usually trade for any money that is in a cache. I think the most I ever found was a 5 dollar bill and I put a full set of my coins in the cache as trade for it.

Back when I started caching there was a real $100 bill that was a TB on a mission to repay some guy clear on the other side of the country. It went missing. Go figure.

If someone finds a link to the $100 TB please post it. I can't find it.

Sorry. The caching rules require that you consume all alcohol you carry, other than medicinal, on your trek to the cache. The purpose of this is to raise the difficulty level for your return to the geovehicle.

Let's turn this one star into a five!

Sorry. The caching rules require that you consume all alcohol you carry, other than medicinal, on your trek to the cache. The purpose of this is to raise the difficulty level for your return to the geovehicle.

Let's turn this one star into a five!

Funny, I've had just the opposite experience. After a few the hard ones seem easier to get to, or at least I'm more willing to go for them!

On topic, my kids love finding money in caches. We never leave money, but they're quick to trade for any cash in the cache. In fact the most recent FTF they were chomping at the bit to go find because it has a dollar bill for the kids FTF.

For those of you who enjoy leaving foreign coins in caches, and want to present them a little nicer (instead of having loose coins rolling around at the bottom of a cache), an alternative is to use cardboard coin flips. Coin collectors will be familiar with them :

Coin%20Flips.jpg

They're inexpensive - about a cent each in bulk, I guess. You fold it into half, sandwiching the coin between the plastic windows, and staple it shut. I've seen one where the cacher wrote their geocaching handle on it for a bit of personalization. Put the whole thing in a ziploc for a bit of additional protection.

You could get the vinyl pouches usually used for coins / geocoins as well, but there's something about the cardboard that just appeals to me for some reason.

I have been caught up in the situation with the G'kids and nothing but pocket change to trade. It works for them and works for me. Also, on some instances they like to get a coin or two out of a cache (Of course they always have traded something for it.)

One cache I found in a rather large park had a note in the log book, "Thanks for the change, I needed a beer." From the looks of the area it was probably a "local" resident muggle. :unsure:

That's not what most of us (or at least, not I) consider trading. That is buying. If your grandkids are going to want swag, bring swag, please. We don't all feel like this about change in a cache, for sure, but the subject has come up often enough over the years that I think its safe to say that most of us do. Many, for sure. Save your pocket change for the tooth fairy, OK?

Disagree.

What is "buying"? Is it not a trade? Money for items? Money is just an easy "place holder" for a trade - I trade my time/skills to a company for marks on paper (well, bits in computer these days), some of which are printed out and are carried in the wallet. These bits/paper then can be traded elsewhere of other items or services. In and of themselves they have little value, but what value we assign to them. So I could trade my money for items elsewhere, then carry those items to a cache, then trade for different itmes - two trades that can also be done in one trade. Money for items - items for money -items for items, it's all the same thing.

Of course you are technically right about money being a trade item in real-life commerce. But in the case of geocaching, the object is to have a container that is full of fun "stuff", not full of pocket currency. It isn't about money. Its about toys.

Ahh the First Geocache had money in it. So from the gitgo actual money was placed in caches. So the first Geocache was about indeed about money...

and a tape player...

and a video tape...

and software...

and a can of black-eyed peas (not beans)...<_<

So ya know...

Mad Dawgg B)

How awesome would it be to find a cold beer in a cache after a long summer hike.... I see the problems with my statement but I mean it would be awesome. Plus it would get a lot of teenagers active in geocaching if we stocked caches with booze.

Well I would give it a favorite point (If it was a Guinness Extra Stout of course...)

Mad Dawgg B)

I used to do an annual flyfishing trip with a group of friends that involved about a 2.5 mile hike to a spot in Sequoia National park. We adopted several customs related to the long weekend, one of them involving stashing a few beers at stop a couple hundred feet upstream on a feeder stream where the trail crossed about halfway to the camp. On the way out we'd stop at our stash to quench our thirst with a cold beer.

Although we're not supposed to put "food" in a cache, there are quite a few caches created that include a "bonus location" where a FTF prize is hidden. For a cache that requires a long hike, including the coordinates in the cache for a FTF to find a cold one on the way back from the cache might test the limits of family friendliness but I suspect that many cachers might appreciate it.

I see no problem with leaving cache or coins in a geocache. Most of the stuff in most caches isn't worth much anyway unless you find a cache early on that was placed with good stuff. A quarter, nickel, or penny is as good as anything else, but obviously some things are better than others.

I did leave $20 in one of my caches in the hopes that it would encourage more finders. 4 months later no one has bothered to go after it.