Cash in the Cache

Ok, I've seen this too often not to ask: What's up with people leaving cash in the cache? I mean, I've seen a couple of quarters here and a few pennies there... I kind of get it, but I came across a cache with some folding money in it. What compels people to leave cash in the cache? Is it because they maybe aren't carrying some swag at the moment to trade? Just curious.

Because they think its an even trade when they take a trinket.

But its not.

Agreed. Its a cache, not a store. I guess I understand how it happens (child: "Daddy, I want that", Father: "We didn't bring anything to trade" Child: "Waaaahhh" Daddy: "OK, I guess its worth a quarter"). The problem is that it leaves a basically empty cache except for a few coins sliding around in the bottom, cushioned only by the soggy calling cards ( :ph34r: ). Its a sad sound.

I also do not swap money for items in there (ie the store comment) but have seen folks do it and justify it, so its definitely done. I also know some folks who just take any money they find in caches so the end effect is the swag is not traded.

I really need to remember to put swag in my backpack more as I have 3 year old who will invariably want things in caches.

Once upon a time, it used to be moderately popular to leave Where's George dollars in caches. At least in the Mid-Atlantic Region, and I remember it being very popular in New Jersey in 2003-2004 when I made 12 business trips there. But then we had the microcache explosion. :P It was actually controversial on the Where's George side, and wasn't considered "natural circulation" of the bills. Someone can back me up on this, perhaps BrianSnat?

Anyways, sorry for that trip down memory lane. I have never traded exclusively coins or dollars for an item, but I have added some when I didn't consider it a fair trade. I remember once I left some swag and 2 dollars for someone's pathtag. And like someone said, I did consider that children might come along and be excited to find some money in the cache. So yep, guilty as charged. :lol:

Once upon a time, it used to be moderately popular to leave Where's George dollars in caches. At least in the Mid-Atlantic Region, and I remember it being very popular in New Jersey in 2003-2004 when I made 12 business trips there. But then we had the microcache explosion. :P It was actually controversial on the Where's George side, and wasn't considered "natural circulation" of the bills. Someone can back me up on this, perhaps BrianSnat?

Anyways, sorry for that trip down memory lane. I have never traded exclusively coins or dollars for an item, but I have added some when I didn't consider it a fair trade. I remember once I left some swag and 2 dollars for someone's pathtag. And like someone said, I did consider that children might come along and be excited to find some money in the cache. So yep, guilty as charged. :lol:

I think this is what you're speaking of: Where's George and Geocaching

I have been caught up in the situation with the G'kids and nothing but pocket change to trade. It works for them and works for me. Also, on some instances they like to get a coin or two out of a cache (Of course they always have traded something for it.)

One cache I found in a rather large park had a note in the log book, "Thanks for the change, I needed a beer." From the looks of the area it was probably a "local" resident muggle. :unsure:

I have been caught up in the situation with the G'kids and nothing but pocket change to trade. It works for them and works for me. Also, on some instances they like to get a coin or two out of a cache (Of course they always have traded something for it.)

One cache I found in a rather large park had a note in the log book, "Thanks for the change, I needed a beer." From the looks of the area it was probably a "local" resident muggle. :unsure:

That's not what most of us (or at least, not I) consider trading. That is buying. If your grandkids are going to want swag, bring swag, please. We don't all feel like this about change in a cache, for sure, but the subject has come up often enough over the years that I think its safe to say that most of us do. Many, for sure. Save your pocket change for the tooth fairy, OK?

That's not what most of us (or at least, not I) consider trading. That is buying. If your grandkids are going to want swag, bring swag, please. We don't all feel like this about change in a cache, for sure, but the subject has come up often enough over the years that I think its safe to say that most of us do. Many, for sure. Save your pocket change for the tooth fairy, OK?

Agreed.

I have taken only 2 bits of trade and they were something that was extremely strange and unique. But I still enjoy opening up a cache overflowing with swag because I enjoy seeing random objects left by people, it all tells a story and common change doesn't.

Disagree.

What is "buying"? Is it not a trade? Money for items? Money is just an easy "place holder" for a trade - I trade my time/skills to a company for marks on paper (well, bits in computer these days), some of which are printed out and are carried in the wallet. These bits/paper then can be traded elsewhere of other items or services. In and of themselves they have little value, but what value we assign to them. So I could trade my money for items elsewhere, then carry those items to a cache, then trade for different itmes - two trades that can also be done in one trade. Money for items - items for money -items for items, it's all the same thing.

Exactly!! But pretty much a dead practice, moving them in Geocaches. Despite mymren's origami efforts. :lol:

Disagree.

What is "buying"? Is it not a trade? Money for items? Money is just an easy "place holder" for a trade - I trade my time/skills to a company for marks on paper (well, bits in computer these days), some of which are printed out and are carried in the wallet. These bits/paper then can be traded elsewhere of other items or services. In and of themselves they have little value, but what value we assign to them. So I could trade my money for items elsewhere, then carry those items to a cache, then trade for different itmes - two trades that can also be done in one trade. Money for items - items for money -items for items, it's all the same thing.

Agree, coins, paper bills, trinkets, it's all just stuff. Who's to say there aren't people even kids, that love trading for money? As long as they trade even or up I think there are bigger fish to fry than people who put money into a cache.

Edited by Roman!

I'm a caching fundamentalist, and you're all heathens. If it was in the original stash... if it was good enough for the Ulmer, Our Lord and Founder, then it's good enough for me. Cash, videos, slingshots, cans of beans... these are the Holy Relics, and these shall always be acceptable in geocaches henceforh.

Now, go ye forth unto the woods and seek ye the tupperware. I'm off to bury a five-gallon bucket... :anibad:

A majority of items in caches usually are broken or wet toys, business cards, scarred up golf balls, religious tracts, melted chewing gum, bars of soap, soap bubble mix, hotel shampoo, used toenail clippers, used hair ties, tampons, spent bullet casings, dead batteries, expired coupons, buttons, used fingernail files, Tums, and so on. So people are going to get annoyed at a $5 bill, or any money at all left in a cache? :D:rolleyes::ph34r:

Yep, Wheresgeorge bills were so popular in geocaching that the Wheresgeorge website actually took to marking any bill that spent time in a geocache as ineligible for their stats page. When I want on vacation back then I would register and stamp $50 in singles to use as swag. It was a lot easier to carry while traveling than a bag full of goodies.

I don't see anything wrong with using cash now and then as a trade item in a pinch. Heck, I used to love trading out Wheresgeorge bills and after a few finds I'd have lunch money. But I'd hate to see it become so common that caches are filled with nothing but money and trades amount to tossing in a quarter and taking two dimes and a nickel. I don't see it coming to that however. Cash has been used in caches since the beginning and considering that scenario hasn't developed, I don't see it as a concern.

Edited by briansnat

Yep, Wheresgeorge bills were so popular in geocaching that the Wheresgeorge website actually took to marking any bill that spent time in a geocache as ineligible for their stats page. When I want on vacation back then I would register and stamp $50 in singles to use as swag. It was a lot easier to carry while traveling than a bag full of goodies.

I meant you could back me up on how popular they were in New Jersey. A little south of you, Central Jersey it was insanely popular. Everyone seemed to do it!

Yepper, if you used the word "Geocaching", or any form of it when entering a bill, it would be designated a "Geocache Bill". I have no idea if people without a wheresgeorge account can see this, but here's a link

I'm the guy who moved it from Harford, Pa. to Staten Island. Note how *I* did not use the word Geocaching. But the next guy did. :lol:

I'm a caching fundamentalist, and you're all heathens. If it was in the original stash... if it was good enough for the Ulmer, Our Lord and Founder, then it's good enough for me. Cash, videos, slingshots, cans of beans... these are the Holy Relics, and these shall always be acceptable in geocaches henceforh.

Now, go ye forth unto the woods and seek ye the tupperware. I'm off to bury a five-gallon bucket... :anibad:

Ok, I've heard more than one reference to a can of beans. Link or enlighten?

Exactly!! But pretty much a dead practice, moving them in Geocaches. Despite mymren's origami efforts. :lol:

It's probably sitting on his bookshelf, never to be unfolded... :laughing:

Because they think its an even trade when they take a trinket.

But its not.

I know! The trinkets are worthless!

Maybe to you. Its one of my favorite things about geocaching. I have a nice collection of "worthless" stuff that I think is awesome. So people taking a trinket and putting down a nickel really annoys me.

I have left a handful of change, under the assumption that when a child opens the cache, that cache turns into a treasure chest! I never actually trade cash for swag like someone said its not a store.

Yeppers! My boy found a 'cool coin!' and really wanted it.

I meant you could back me up on how popular they were in New Jersey. A little south of you, Central Jersey it was insanely popular. Everyone seemed to do it!

Yepper, if you used the word "Geocaching", or any form of it when entering a bill, it would be designated a "Geocache Bill". I have no idea if people without a wheresgeorge account can see this, but here's a link

I'm the guy who moved it from Harford, Pa. to Staten Island. Note how *I* did not use the word Geocaching. But the next guy did. :lol:

At least it was found in a cache and really had become a geocaching bill. I once entered a Where's George note with something along the lines of 'Picked up as change while shopping for geocaching swag at Target.' A few days later, after a lot more George site research, I learned that my note was what triggered the designation change. :(

The way I see it, when talking about caching to a friend which would you rather say: "I found this cache with a _____ in it" or "I found this cache with 75 cents in it"

I found a prisoners ID card which I think is pretty cool and strange but no one mentions leaving it or seeing it in the logs, I have wondered how an item ended up states away into this cache... And it's been a mini conversational piece at my place amongst me and my friends. You do not get cool stories from change or dollar bills.

With that being said I think money is a great find for little kids espicially ones young enough to not understand the difference between a nickel and a quarter all they see is treasure

Disagree.

Of course you are technically right about money being a trade item in real-life commerce. But in the case of geocaching, the object is to have a container that is full of fun "stuff", not full of pocket currency. It isn't about money. Its about toys.

Wait stop you can't put alcohol in caches?
From the Help Center article:
Contents are family-friendly. Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol and any illicit material should not be placed in a cache. Geocaching is a family-friendly activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.
Wait stop you can't put alcohol in caches?
From the Help Center article:
Contents are family-friendly. Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol and any illicit material should not be placed in a cache. Geocaching is a family-friendly activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

It was just a joke

Disagree.

Of course you are technically right about money being a trade item in real-life commerce. But in the case of geocaching, the object is to have a container that is full of fun "stuff", not full of pocket currency. It isn't about money. Its about toys.

Thoghts:

Why always "toys"? I find (and place) all sorts of useable "stuff" in caches.

I guess this stack of 2 and half dollar gold coins on my desk can't be swag as they are "money" (they might be hard to trade even or up for...).

I find cash to be "fun stuff".

Anything to excess in a cache could be bad. If the only 'stuff' were baby toys, I'd not be interested. So if the cache was nothing but cash, I could see a problem (although I've seen caches just about money i.e.. swapping pennys to get all the dates in the 1900's or the one for swapping state quarters). But a blanket "money is bad" doesn't work.

ETA: I thought about a comment about adult items, but that was the wrong connotation. But there was that one cache in Reno while hunting I found a bag women's unders and a bag of magizines ... too bad my kit was too small to CITO it all... :rolleyes::laughing:

Edited by The Jester

At least it was found in a cache and really had become a geocaching bill. I once entered a Where's George note with something along the lines of 'Picked up as change while shopping for geocaching swag at Target.' A few days later, after a lot more George site research, I learned that my note was what triggered the designation change. :(

Do not use that dirty word, Geocaching, on Wheresgeorge, although it's a moot point, and no one cares anymore.

I didn't quote Frinklabs, but I have used U.S.A. silver dollar sized Chinese coins as swag purchased at a local "Chinese" Dollar Store. I'm sure I've left several in Mississagua. I don't remember exactly where though, and it's been like 3 years. Go for it. :lol:

My daughter collects coins from other countries and is always happy to trade for them when available.

Not sure if foreign cash counts as cash in this context.

I don't consider foreign coins to be "cash". Most of the coins that I have put into caches have very little monetary value even in the their local country. I've got some Tanzanian Shilling coins that essentially worthless, but still might be considered "collectable". There are other currencies such as Italian Lire or Zimbabwian Dollars that are no longer used as currency but would make some interesting swag. BTW, there are numerous websites where one can purchase foreign coins in bulk and get a bunch of coins from different countries.

(child: "Daddy, I want that", Father: "We didn't bring anything to trade"

Child: "Waaaahhh" Daddy: "OK, I guess its worth a quarter").

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEND !!!

thrust me, I am that dad.. and I am so sorry.

other wise she would have yelled the rest of the day or found a little dirty stone and put it instead.

I promise to do better next time :-)

swag can be ANYTHING of value to someone,

The whole idea is it is good stuff to some, and not for some others.

but it is NEWER trash !!

I placed numerous of a bit odd things all in perfect working condition:

PC mouse, cell phone charger, usb cables, usb chargers, battery chargers,

calculators, flashlights, talking and walking electric toys of all sorts,

Edited by OZ2CPU