Multi-Caches

Newbie question time again!

As some of you may have read before, I'm relatively new to Geocaching (less than six months), but I'm really enjoying it - from seeking caches to starting my own collection of trackables (personal collection, not swiped from play!) to placing my first cache.

The thing is, I haven't had very many people come looking for the cache. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. As a result, I'm wondering... Why not?

I chose a multi-cache for my first cache primarily for the reason of where the cache is placed. My bosses are very supportive of their employees and enjoy our idiosyncracies - for example, I and another coworker go to Build A Bear once a month or so and purchase a couple of bears with t-shirts and display them all around the office until December, when we pack them all up to donate to Toys for Tots. Sure, it causes a few raised eyebrows when people come into the office, but the bosses like having a chuckle while we explain ourselves.

At any rate, when I asked for permission to hide a cache on the company-owned property, they said, 'Sure!'. So, after researching the area to ensure I'd be within GS guidlines, I chose to do a multi-cache. The place I wanted to put the ammo box was technically too close to another cache to be placed, (they let it slide because it was just the slightest bit too close and because my caches are both located on my company's property), but other areas of the property that were the minimum distance between caches had no foliage or other cover for the ammo box. So, the solution was to make a multi-cache and hide a micro container in the less-than-ideal spot and provide direction to the more ideal hiding spot for an ammo box.

Due to some oopses with coordinates, the first to find person had to come back for a do-over after I corrected some things in the micro cache's clue to lead him to the ammo box. After that, another seeker found the ammo box and I (and my coworkers) thought we'd start seeing people coming and going, especially since many caches in my area of the world seem to mostly be micros that can't hold trackables (which I LOVE to put out on journies).

That hasn't happened, though.

Is there something off-putting about multi-caches? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a cache more attractive to seekers? Are there any other multi-cache owners who have this same concern? Are there any cache owners who just stick a cache out there are forget about it? (Ie., it's just not that important?)

I will say that one of my coworkers and I will seek a cache that's within walking distance of our office, primarily because we can walk to it and get our exercise while adding the "fun" aspect of seeking a cache. (Yeah, she's the same one as the Build a Bears, for those keeping track. I haven't gotten her to sign up on GC yet, but I'm hoping she will, 'cause she should really be getting credit for a lot of the finds we do together.) Because we seek on our lunch hour, we do tend to avoid multi-caches because we're concerned about the time factor involved in looking for more than one cache, though we have put some on the to-do list.

I'd sure like to hear others' thoughts about multi-caches.

Thanks for listening!

Is there something off-putting about multi-caches?

There are problems with them and most of us have experienced the problems.

• Unknown number of stages --- how long will it take? Will I have time to complete it? If one of the stages goes missing can I still get to the final? If I don't understand the puzzle question at stage 3 will I have wasted a trip?
  • Unknown length between stages - if I get the coordinates at stage 1 will I have to drive another mile to get to stage 2 or can I walk to the next stage?
  • I'm on vacation and haven't got a lot of time to plan my outtings. It's going to be easier to stick to traditional caches that have recently been found. There are plenty of those to keep me busy so I'll skip the puzzles and multis.

Having said that, multis are still some of the best caches out there. And many of them get favourite votes. As a finder, I do most of my multis locally, so that I can easily go back to complete them if an issue comes up.

Once locals find a cache its the travelers that come. Most, including myself, do not include multi's in their PQ when they are on the road.....multi's can be time consuming and when traveling I don't care to spend too much time in one area.

As has been said the numbers hounds will avoid them.

I have 2 multi's that are 3 stage and 1 is 7......they are almost never found.

In all fairness the more stages there are the more likely one will be missing meaning a lot of time would be wasted.

I'm a big fan of multi caches and I do visit them also when being abroad when I can understand the cache description.

I looked at your multi cache and I noted that those who do not come prepared and do not have mobile internet, will end up in big problems. I

prefer multi caches where I do not need to do preparations at home and if some homework is necessary I prefer if the first few lines of the cache description tell

me so. I typically read the hint section at ground zero and decrypt it manually and would be very annoyed about reading something like what is written in your hint.

It is true, however, that you have set the fields puzzle attribute. I need to mention that I'm a bit careful about multi caches with that attribute when the cache is farther away and I have no idea what to expect.

It might also be a good idea to mention an approximate overall duration for your multi cache. That makes planning easier.

Moreover, I noted that the caches in the area around your cache do not seem to get that many visits anyway. So this of course plays a role as well. In my home town a drive in traditional may well get 50+ visits in the first week while a multi cache will get less visit, but still a decent number.

Cezanne

I've had the same experience with my mulit, multi's just get found less often. I guess it's the time consuming thing. However, when people do find it, they usually really like it. The same thing goes for my caches with a ***** terrain rating. People either don't have a boat or don't want to load it up for one little cache. Somewhat disappointing that the caches we put the most work in aren't found very often.

• Unknown number of stages --- how long will it take? Will I have time to complete it? If one of the stages goes missing can I still get to the final? If I don't understand the puzzle question at stage 3 will I have wasted a trip?
  • Unknown length between stages - if I get the coordinates at stage 1 will I have to drive another mile to get to stage 2 or can I walk to the next stage?
  • I'm on vacation and haven't got a lot of time to plan my outtings. It's going to be easier to stick to traditional caches that have recently been found. There are plenty of those to keep me busy so I'll skip the puzzles and multis.

Having said that, multis are still some of the best caches out there. And many of them get favourite votes. As a finder, I do most of my multis locally, so that I can easily go back to complete them if an issue comes up.

So, do you think that if I edited my cache entry to mention that it is only a two-part cache and should take less than an hour to find, it might help? Also, the final cache location is within view of the first cache, on the same property, which I think I mentioned.

Once locals find a cache its the travelers that come. Most, including myself, do not include multi's in their PQ when they are on the road.....multi's can be time consuming and when traveling I don't care to spend too much time in one area.

As has been said the numbers hounds will avoid them.

I have 2 multi's that are 3 stage and 1 is 7......they are almost never found.

In all fairness the more stages there are the more likely one will be missing meaning a lot of time would be wasted.

When I was on vacation, I didn't attempt multi-caches either, but that was primarily due to the fact that I am the only cacher among those travelling with me. My kids roll their eyes at my caching and while my dad is on board with my making stops along the way to check out caches, he's in his 70s and doesn't need to be out in the heat.

I'm a big fan of multi caches and I do visit them also when being abroad when I can understand the cache description.

I looked at your multi cache and I noted that those who do not come prepared and do not have mobile internet, will end up in big problems. I

prefer multi caches where I do not need to do preparations at home and if some homework is necessary I prefer if the first few lines of the cache description tell

me so. I typically read the hint section at ground zero and decrypt it manually and would be very annoyed about reading something like what is written in your hint.

It is true, however, that you have set the fields puzzle attribute. I need to mention that I'm a bit careful about multi caches with that attribute when the cache is farther away and I have no idea what to expect.

It might also be a good idea to mention an approximate overall duration for your multi cache. That makes planning easier.

Moreover, I noted that the caches in the area around your cache do not seem to get that many visits anyway. So this of course plays a role as well. In my home town a drive in traditional may well get 50+ visits in the first week while a multi cache will get less visit, but still a decent number.

Cezanne

I'd been giving some thought to including a copy of the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals active roster to the first cache to make it easier for those attempting the cache, but would other cachers think that I'm taking away from the spirit of the game? I want to make it challenging enough for someone to find it worthy of their time to look for it, but I also want people to FIND the cache. It's no fun to go searching for something and come up with nothing. (I've done that more than a few times myself!) So, I guess I'm asking, have I fairly balanced the challenge with the reward, or do I need to weigh the odds a little better in favor of the seekers?

I've had the same experience with my mulit, multi's just get found less often. I guess it's the time consuming thing. However, when people do find it, they usually really like it. The same thing goes for my caches with a ***** terrain rating. People either don't have a boat or don't want to load it up for one little cache. Somewhat disappointing that the caches we put the most work in aren't found very often.

Back to another reply, above, I have to say I am a little biased against the multi cache because of time concerns, too. I generally cache on my lunch hour or even before work, and avoid looking for multis for some of the same reasons I've seen posted here.

I my experience there is no one reason that multis get less traffic, but I think that many people are into geocaching because they enjoy finding caches, for a number of reasons, not always about counting finds, but because of the sense of accomplishment which comes with a successful find. With multis the time/effort/risk to find ratio is lower - meaning I don't know how much time it will take or what my chances of success are. If it is a hard ten stage cache, then I could have to abandon the search at any stage.

If you are trying to attract seekers, you could advertise that it is easy, which is not always desirable, but will liekly entice more people.

Another common method is to make a cache series rather than a multi. A series rewards the seekers with many finds, not just one.

I myself, enjoy a good multi, but I appreciate it if I know upfront how much time it will take, so I can plan accordingly.

Looks like a great cache, especially like the large final.

Since you did ask, though, these are the things that stand out to me, as making your cache less appealing:

1) Multi/puzzle combination-no matter how good they are these are found far less often-too much work/time

2) Field puzzle-It's kind of daunting to get there and if you don't have the right info, you're screwed.

3) High muggle zone with people watching you-this creeps many people out and it's often nicer to go for a walk in the forest

My suggestions:

You can leave it as it is and just accept that it will get found less often.

You can re-publish it as a traditional if you want maximum traffic.

You can give people a list of questions they need to answer on the cache page. So they can be prepared before they go. ++

You can also add a line at the beginning to entice people 'This is a 2 stage EASY multi. You will need to look up the answers to 3 questions ahead of time at home and will take about 15 minutes to complete once you get there.'

So, do you think that if I edited my cache entry to mention that it is only a two-part cache and should take less than an hour to find, it might help? Also, the final cache location is within view of the first cache, on the same property, which I think I mentioned.

The more explicit you are about all aspects of the multi, the more people will visit because you're making it more like a traditional, so less of the negatives mentioned in this thread come into play. So, yes, explicitly say it's just a pointer and a final, N feet away, visible from the posted coordinates, and even "the first stage is a bison tube hanging in the 3rd tree from the left" or whatever. I wouldn't worry about making it challenging: a big old ammo box is usually appreciated no matter how easy it is. In fact, in a case like this, it would probably be appreciated more because it's big and easy. Save the tricks for a cache you're willing to have visited infrequently.

One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned yet is the private property issue. I don't know how much this looks like private property and how much that might put off seekers, either on scene or looking at it from space, but to minimize such issues, make it clear that you and your company are welcoming people to come seek the cache. I'm sure you mention permission, but that might not be enough. If necessary and appropriate, mention that everyone looking out the window at GZ is in on the game.

I looked at the cache page and here is why I wouldn't do it if I was on vacation. It looks more like a puzzle to me. As in if I go to step one I will not get coordinates to step two unless I happen to do the internet work ahead of time. That info is buried in the hint.

I would probably also be skeptical if I saw the DNF there about the coordinates for step 1. I would be waiting for another person to find it first.

I see you mention you and coworkers watching to see people... I'm, personally, not a fan of doing caches where I'm going to be watched as out in the open as implied in this cache. If I drive up and see an office I or business I typically drive away. It just weirds me out. I'm also a little uncomfortable in general private property caches.

It's unclear of the time that I would have put into doing this. Combined with the puzzle that apparently has to be solved that kind of marks it out for me unless I lived right near by. The distance in total I'm going to be covering is unclear too.

Generally for multis in the area I do a drive by at first. If the area doesn't look all that interesting or exciting I may just drive by until I'm feeling an extreme need to do a cache and am willing to look past the area.

I'll agree with dprovan: Let people know that they are welcomed. (Hmm... I did one multi where the coords for the final were scotch taped to an office window!)

Harder caches (either difficulty or terrain) will get fewer visits. Multis and mysteries get fewer visits. Cache and dashes get lots of visits!

Myself, I hide all sorts of caches (though usually in a scenic or interesting location.) Evil mystery caches, long hikes, cache and dashes. The cache and dashes make up for the seldom visited other caches. <_< But most of them are in scenic or interesting places!

I looked at the cache page and here is why I wouldn't do it if I was on vacation. It looks more like a puzzle to me. As in if I go to step one I will not get coordinates to step two unless I happen to do the internet work ahead of time. That info is buried in the hint.

Yeah, now that Chokecherry and The_Incredibles_ have brought up the specific cache, I agree with Chokecherry that any risk of having to come back a second time is a big negative. I go out of my way to do mutli's, but even I'd be put off by that factor if the cache far enough away that I wasn't sure when, if ever, I'd be back to finish it up.

As The_Incredibles_ mention, if you want to avoid that problem, post the questions in the description so people can solve them at home. Then they'll know they're at least going to be able to look for the final. Since it would no longer be pegged to your questions collected in the field, it would be more accurate to make it an unknown type. But if you like the idea of them finding something else first, you could continue with a multi and have them find something like a key that tells them how to use the answers they brought with them.

Everyone keeps saying this, but just to be clear: there's nothing wrong with the cache as published, we're just suggesting things that are causing your stated problem, which is low popularity. I actually kinda like the general idea of a quiz in the field, although a baseball quiz would almost certainly require 2 trips for me, which would be somewhat annoying...

Cezanne

I'd been giving some thought to including a copy of the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals active roster to the first cache to make it easier for those attempting the cache, but would other cachers think that I'm taking away from the spirit of the game?

As someone else mentioned, the cache listing comes across a bit like an unknown rather than a multi. Including the roster in the first stage container so that one can answer questions in the field is actually much more like a multi cache where one must obtain information off a sign or some object in order to derive the coordinates for a subsequent stage. The fact that you have to find a container (rather than a sign) to discover the questions and a key for the answers gives it an interesting spin. It also retains the spirit of the theme of the cache. Personally, I prefer to see multicaches that either have the full coordinates for a subsequent stage at each stage or only require a simple plug-n-play of the numbers required. IMHO, anything more complex than simple arithmetic, and it should be submitted as an unknown caches. While, a multi does serve the purpose of allowing you to place an appropriate sized container at each location, and can be used deal with proximity or private property issues, to me, the primary benefit of a multi cache is to bring someone to multiple interesting locations, not to add unnecessary complexity to finding a container.

I think this would definitely help, i have a two stage multi which i placed on the 25th Jan 2012 and have the fact that it's a short two stage multi in the description, it's been found 30 times and has 22 favourites.

While the simple fact that it is a Multi may deter some visitors (who may not even look at the cache page), my own experience says that is not a major issue. I own one multi which is in a similar area to some traditionals I own. The multi has 55 finds in 2.5 years; the traditionals average around 45 in 2 years.

In my description for the multi I make it clear that it is 2 stages, and the final is within .25 miles of the first (virtual) stage.

I own another multi in a different area which as only 77 finds in 7 years. In that one I tell you it will take between 1 and 1.5 hours. That's fine - less people want to invest that time on a single cache.

Now there is nothing bad about hiding a cache which gets few visitors... if a cache is challenging/difficult it will get less finds. But likely will be more appreciated by those who find it.

In your case: It doesn't look like a particularly difficult cache, and as others have said there are specifics in your description which could put finders off. I would be put off by the muggle factor (being watched etc). And as much as I love baseball I would be a bit confused about the puzzle aspect and if I could solve it in the field.

Looks like a great cache, especially like the large final.

Since you did ask, though, these are the things that stand out to me, as making your cache less appealing:

1) Multi/puzzle combination-no matter how good they are these are found far less often-too much work/time

2) Field puzzle-It's kind of daunting to get there and if you don't have the right info, you're screwed.

3) High muggle zone with people watching you-this creeps many people out and it's often nicer to go for a walk in the forest

My suggestions:

You can leave it as it is and just accept that it will get found less often.

You can re-publish it as a traditional if you want maximum traffic.

You can give people a list of questions they need to answer on the cache page. So they can be prepared before they go. ++

You can also add a line at the beginning to entice people 'This is a 2 stage EASY multi. You will need to look up the answers to 3 questions ahead of time at home and will take about 15 minutes to complete once you get there.'

Thanks for the extensive feedback! This is quite helpful. I was wondering what kind of revision I could make on the description to make it easier and less daunting. My cache really is a very easy find and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes from parking to grabbing.

Thanks to all for your input on my cache. If you happen to check back to this topic, would you mind checking out the updated cache? I've added some notes and changed the hints so that this multi cache might appear to be more friendly to seekers. The physical caches and their locations haven't changed, but I've made available in the description, the information needed to solve for the final cache location. Thoughts?

GC3NE51

Some of that can be addressed on the cache page. I prefer when cache owners state the number of stages in the text. I do that on my multis and often add the combined distance of the multi and/or the estimated amount of time it would take to complete it. Still my multis are far less popular than traditionals. I have a three stage multi an a park that is really cool. There are also three single caches in the same park and it probably takes longer to do the traditionals than it would the multi, but the traditionals have about 5 x the number of finds even though they haven't been there as long.

I love multis but I'm as guilty as anyone of ignoring them. I filter them out of PQs when I travel. I'm just afraid I won't have the time to complete one. I may also avoid them when out caching if there is no info on the page regarding number of stages, time and distance, because I might not want to find myself in more of an adventure than I had planned.

In the end however if you want to hide a cache that will likely receive a high percentage of favorite points, make it a multi. If you want your cache to get a lot of finds stick it on a dumpster next to the 7-Eleven.

Edited by briansnat

I have also revised the clue page that's located in the first cache to add a final hint. It's encrypted, but I have included the decryption key so that people who don't want to fool around with the addition and subtraction can simply decode the hint and follow the directions. Of course, unless someone around here actually tries it out, I don't know if the final hint is any good. Anybody in the St. Louis area wanna be a guinea pig?

Looks much better!

I would go for it if I lived in the area.

Thanks! I hope it will attract some who may have given it a pass before. :)

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the volume of people who find it. As I mentioned above, if you want a lot of finds stick a magnetic key holder on a dumpster next to a 7-Eleven. With a multi you'll get far fewer finds but those will find it will probably enjoy the experience more than they do the run of the mill caches.

Looks much better!

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the volume of people who find it. As I mentioned above, if you want a lot of finds stick a magnetic key holder on a dumpster next to a 7-Eleven. With a multi you'll get far fewer finds but those will find it will probably enjoy the experience more than they do the run of the mill caches.

You're right, but everyone wants their caches to be found and enjoyed. :)

Looks much better!

You're right, but everyone wants their caches to be found and enjoyed. :)

True to a point, but I'd rather place a cache that 10 people thoroughly enjoy, than one where where 1,000 people say "ho hum, +1".

The fact that it's a multi cache will make it less likely that I will look for it. This is simply because I rarely use a GPS of any kind so multi caches generally require multiple visits to a site. I do do this at times - and have on one occasion guessed a likely location from manual triangulation after gathering clues in the field. But in general if it's a multi I'm just less likely to do it.

But if it looks good and doesn't have too many stages then I'd certainly go for it, especially if logs recommend it. It's great that you've stated how many stages there are btw - that's really helpful (we started one recently which seems to have about 7 stages and is a two hour drive away - shame we didn't know the number of stages until finding the first stage...).

I blatantly advertised my first Multi on Facebook.

Published as a MOC this made it even harder to attract seekers.

Slowly but surely it is getting found. My experience with Multis

is they get found the least...most cachers go for the easy ones.

But the ones that do go after a quality Multi usually offer cool

log entries and that is whats its all about, at least to me.

Have fun, be safe and happy hunting

The fact that it's a multi cache will make it less likely that I will look for it. This is simply because I rarely use a GPS of any kind so multi caches generally require multiple visits to a site. I do do this at times - and have on one occasion guessed a likely location from manual triangulation after gathering clues in the field. But in general if it's a multi I'm just less likely to do it.

But if it looks good and doesn't have too many stages then I'd certainly go for it, especially if logs recommend it. It's great that you've stated how many stages there are btw - that's really helpful (we started one recently which seems to have about 7 stages and is a two hour drive away - shame we didn't know the number of stages until finding the first stage...).

Thanks for the input. I, too, am one who generally avoids multis, primarily because of timing issues. I'd rather have had a single cache, but due to the hiding spots available, it was necessary to make it a multi to ensure I had a good concealment for the ammo box.

I blatantly advertised my first Multi on Facebook.

Published as a MOC this made it even harder to attract seekers.

Slowly but surely it is getting found. My experience with Multis

is they get found the least...most cachers go for the easy ones.

But the ones that do go after a quality Multi usually offer cool

log entries and that is whats its all about, at least to me.

Have fun, be safe and happy hunting

I wouldn't put mine on Facebook for the simple fact that folks I'm friends with aren't Geocachers. It's mostly family and real-life friends, and I know they don't do this. But it's a great idea that you posted yours there. If you have loads of friends, it's a good way to get it noticed. :)

As to the quality of the cache, I hope it's a good one. I've been to some caches that seem to be loaded with junk, like old receipts and broken pencils that needed to be cleaned out. But since I went to the trouble of researching my location and setting up a large cache, I figured it would be made attractive by the log entries of people who find it, because it is a well-maintained, easy cache. At least, I hope it will be. :)

If anyone's watching this topic, would you mind reviewing my updated cache? Another seeker came by while I was in my office and gave me a few pointers to help me revise the listing that (I think) may make it better. She did say that it was not an easy cache, and it's certainly not a park and grab, but I'm hoping that this fine tuning will make it a better cache and one that others are encouraged to try.

I did notice that after this seeker, another cacher came by and found it as well. :anicute: I'm not necessarily looking for huge finder numbers, but it's my first cache, and I want to get opinions of seekers/finders so when I post future caches, I'll have a better chance of getting the posting right the first time. :anibad:

Thank you to all who have so far responded! Your input has been invaluable to teaching a newbie how it's done.

I typically build multi-caches, because I am trying to target cachers that want something more than a drive by experience. A good trick that I have found is to place travel bugs (yours or others) in the multi. A little incentive for the out of towners to check it out. Most of my multis only get a handful of finds a year, but almost everyone leaves very positive comments, so it works for me.

Edited by hiplainsdrifter

I typically build multi-caches, because I am trying to target cachers that want something more than a drive by experience. A good trick that I have found is to place travel bugs (yours or others) in the multi. A little incentive for the out of towners to check it out. Most of my multis only get a handful of finds a year, but almost everyone leaves very positive comments, so it works for me.

I have placed travel bugs in my ammo box and they have attracted seekers, but it appears that the "multi" listing is turning a lot of people off. However, since I'm going for quality not quantity, I think that the logs are a lot better than they would have been if I'd just placed, say, a micro with no swag or tags. The reason I'm being a little "pushy" with the questions is because I haven't been caching long and it's my first attempt at being a CO, so I want to make the experience memorable for other seekers. It also helps me to fine tune things for when I decide to place another cache. All this feedback is very helpful.