GPS Unit Similar To iPhone?

I just started geocaching recently and since I didn't want to invest in something I might not continue on with I decided I would just use my phone as my gps device. I am now addicted to geocaching, and although I really like the features of my iphone + geocaching.com application, the battery life is horrible, the accuracy is sometimes off, and I'm afraid I'll drop and break my phone while scaling rocks and trees. That said, is there a GPS unit out there that has similar features to my iphone. I like the fact that I can do everything right from my phone (send in logs, look up/download caches, view descriptions/hints/logs, take pictures (though not a priority)). Basically I'm looking for a more rugged iphone with better battery life. I've noticed people mentioning units not being compatible to macs (which I have) but I haven't actually had to hook up to my computer for anything, so I don't know if this would be a factor or not, but if so I need a MAC compatible unit as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One approach would be to accessorize your iPhone with a Otterbox or other rugged case, and get an external battery pack. These options would address both of your primary concerns to some extent, but the battery pack would make the arrangement a little awkward.

Your other option would be to purchase a dedicated GPS unit...you're not going to get the exact same functionality as your iPhone but you can come close. You will never be able to look up caches on the fly or log from the field, because no GPS has data capability...at least none that I know of. You will have to do a little prep work up front before going out, like installing maps for your area and downloading caches from Geocaching.com. If you purchase a unit with paperless geocaching capability, you will have all the cache info, hint, description, and a few recent logs available to you on the device...essentially everything you would need in the field. You can mark caches "found" on the unit, but you'll have to wait till you connect to a computer to upload your found caches.

There is a little learning involved with all this...it won't be as lead-you-by-the-hand easy as the iPhone app, but once you get your GPS set up like you want it and learn how to use Pocket Queries it works great. Some of them even have a camera :)

Now, I'm not a Mac guy so I couldn't say which units play well with them...maybe someone else will chime in with that info.

I just started geocaching recently and since I didn't want to invest in something I might not continue on with I decided I would just use my phone as my gps device. I am now addicted to geocaching, and although I really like the features of my iphone + geocaching.com application, the battery life is horrible, the accuracy is sometimes off, and I'm afraid I'll drop and break my phone while scaling rocks and trees. That said, is there a GPS unit out there that has similar features to my iphone. I like the fact that I can do everything right from my phone (send in logs, look up/download caches, view descriptions/hints/logs, take pictures (though not a priority)). Basically I'm looking for a more rugged iphone with better battery life. I've noticed people mentioning units not being compatible to macs (which I have) but I haven't actually had to hook up to my computer for anything, so I don't know if this would be a factor or not, but if so I need a MAC compatible unit as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use an old iPhone 3GS with my mac using iTunes for the interface. I have yet to find a decent geocaching app for a mac that doesn't gum up and lose info. I even deleted Mac cashing app because it made the job more complicated.

I'm not sure I understand your mac/phone compatibility question as there is no link on GC for iphones anyway. I recently learned how to generate and download pocket queries for the iPhone (which downloads best in a wifi area), which I will take with me for cache information purposes. Sure beats making txt files for my kindle! Other than that I also take my Garmin etrex venture hc which is mac happy and lets me download all the waypoints I want directly through the USB cable.

You can spend a ton of money on GPSs that accept pocket queries, but I'm satisfied using my iPhone for info and logging while in the field, and using my GPS to find the caches. You can also pick up a car charger for the iPhone for travelling...

Edited by Rckhnd

"I'm not sure I understand your mac/phone compatibility question as there is no link on GC for iphones anyway."

Thanks for the info. I was referring to any new GPS unit I might purchase being compatible with a mac computer for downloading/uploading info to and from the GPS unit. Maybe I'll just stick with my phone for a while longer. I am very happy with it for the most part, I just thought an actual GPS device might be more acurate in zeroing in on the cache location.

"I'm not sure I understand your mac/phone compatibility question as there is no link on GC for iphones anyway."

Thanks for the info. I was referring to any new GPS unit I might purchase being compatible with a mac computer for downloading/uploading info to and from the GPS unit. Maybe I'll just stick with my phone for a while longer. I am very happy with it for the most part, I just thought an actual GPS device might be more acurate in zeroing in on the cache location.

Not sure what version of iPhone you are using, but in my experience my 4 is as accurate as my Garnin GPS in most circumstances. Older iPhones (pre-3GS) are not as accurate. If you are using a 3GS or later, I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in your ability to locate caches. Your primary advantages will be ruggedness, battery life, and the ability to change batteries in the field if you ever do run it down (most handhelds take ordinary AA's)

I can't speak for later model phones, but the gps in the iPhone 3GS has given me a Margin Of Accuracy anywhere from 155' to 1.5miles. The MOA for my Garmin is +/- 30'.

I use the two together and it's good.

The iPhone 3GS has an awful accuracy. I used one and it made my life difficult to find the tricky caches.

However, upgrading to the 4S was unbelievably better. The accuracy is fantastic, and the clean, user friendly app from Groundspeak combined with this makes geocaching a joy. I too would love a gps unit that had the user friendly style of the Groundspeak app. That said, combining the two seems the best bet.

As for battery, I bought one of these and it is fantastic: Pebble

Edited by Sinver