Favorite Points

I did a search on Favorite Points, but I did not find a thread similar to this post, so I'm starting this topic. I hope it's not a redundant one.

I hunted caches in the 2011 Texas GeoCaching Challenge put out by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I gave favorite points to those I liked. The Challenge has ended and TPWD has archived all its caches. Since the caches are archived, is it appropriate, good caching etiquette, to take the Favorite Points back (if that is even possible), so they can be saved to be applied to future cache discoveries I find appealing?

Thanks for helping.

I did a search on Favorite Points, but I did not find a thread similar to this post, so I'm starting this topic. I hope it's not a redundant one.

I hunted caches in the 2011 Texas GeoCaching Challenge put out by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I gave favorite points to those I liked. The Challenge has ended and TPWD has archived all its caches. Since the caches are archived, is it appropriate, good caching etiquette, to take the Favorite Points back (if that is even possible), so they can be saved to be applied to future cache discoveries I find appealing?

Thanks for helping.

You're good, this has rarely come up. :P I personally have taken them away some of, but not all of, the time. I think having favorite points used on archived caches under this system (which I really like, by the way), is a waste.

I'm sure mine will end up being the minority opinion though.

P.S. It's really easy, you just click "remove from favorites" on the cache page.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I often trail through my previous 'favourites' and enjoy doing so. As I tend to give out favourites quite liberally I sometimes take some back where the cache has been archived so I can reward deserving 'active' caches.

They are your favourites so in my opinion you can use/amend them how you see fit.

Thanks for helping.

I have been at this for 9+ years, so when we got favorite points I awarded them to my favorites regardless of whether or not they were still active or not. I wouldn't dream of changing my mind about it.

If they deserved the points then why not leave them....? :unsure:

Thanks for helping.

I have been at this for 9+ years, so when we got favorite points I awarded them to my favorites regardless of whether or not they were still active or not. I wouldn't dream of changing my mind about it.

I tend to agree with the Snoogs and the above bolded statement. That's not to say however, that I don't think there's a good point on the other side. Since people use favorite points to help them find caches, removing them from an archived cache and instead using them on an active cache could help people decide which caches to hunt. I'm pretty stingey with my points though, so I have quite a few just waiting to be used, but some people aren't. It's just however you feel is the right way to do it I suppose :grin:

I removed them. Fav point is really for other to know where are the "best" caches in an area that they are visiting. Spending all your fav points or most of them on archived caches isnt very helpful.

As a cache owner, I very much appreciated when a few folks went back and favorited a cache of mine that had been archived for several years.

If it inspires a good hider to hide more good caches, how is that not helpful? :unsure:

I would like to point out that awarding a favorite to a cache is awarding it to a cache but removing a favorite point from an archived listing is not removing it from a cache....

I disagree, and I'll tell you why. I think that the favourite point is an expression of approval for whatever reason. I feel that removing that symbolic expression also negates your statement. Is no statement the same as a blue ribbon? Not in my book.

I think that history is as much a part of this game as the future and we explore other people's experience to learn about them. It would be nice to see that a person had caches in their past that were favourited by fellow cachers. If only as a part of their previous efforts, it still tells a story.

I removed them. Fav point is really for other to know where are the "best" caches in an area that they are visiting. Spending all your fav points or most of them on archived caches isnt very helpful.

22% of my 7000 finds are now archived, 1585 of them. So, if I spent the ~158 points on the remaining ones and had no archived ones, then technically I would be even further increasing my # of favorites to the top 13%, not 10%. I have enough trouble finding 10% to favorite.

So, if you want to use up all your favorite points on ONLY active caches, then its more than 10%.

A movie does not stop being a favorite when its no longer in the movie theatre.

Good topic. I'm not sure what to do. Personally, I have more points then I can use, but if I were out, I wouldn't mind reclaiming them from archived caches.

The point of favorites, IMO, is to help other cachers discover great caches, and not so much to preserve a history of best caches of all time. I see no good reason that old caches need to keep their favorites.

I would like to point out that awarding a favorite to a cache is awarding it to a cache but removing a favorite point from an archived listing is not removing it from a cache....

I disagree, and I'll tell you why. I think that the favourite point is an expression of approval for whatever reason. I feel that removing that symbolic expression also negates your statement. Is no statement the same as a blue ribbon? Not in my book.

I think that history is as much a part of this game as the future and we explore other people's experience to learn about them. It would be nice to see that a person had caches in their past that were favourited by fellow cachers. If only as a part of their previous efforts, it still tells a story.

You do disagree, and I'll tell you why. You do not differentiate a cache from a listing even tho a listing is not a cache. But that is your prerogative.

I tend to have a more blunt view.

Q: What is the point of a favorite point?

A: The point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others.

Now granted that explanation is found under favoriting events but the logic holds true to archived. Why recommended a great caching experience to others that they can not have? It is rather pointless pun intended.

A couple of recent threads about favorite points where the issue of archived caches gets discussed:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=297173

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283703

I personally don't remove my favorite points from caches that are archived. I have my reasons for giving caches favorite points, and they may not coincide with other people's reasons.

B.

This is one of those topics that will always be divided. This stems from the generally accepted idea that, within some basic guidelines, cachers should cache how they like to cache. That idea alone causes differences in this instance as those that choose to not ignore certain caches will acquire many more points to give and therefore are less protective of their balance.

Personally, I like the idea of leaving my favorite points on archived caches for historical purposes. There was a local cache that got archived last year. At the time, it had the most favorite votes in the state. I like to think that someone stumbling across that listing would be able to see it's full history. If I take favorites back and begin giving those out, eventually I will be watering down my criterion or building a massuve surplus.

While clearly one of the uses of favorites is to "recommend" caches, I keep hoping that eventually favorites might become part of Netflix-like system of "If you liked this cache, you might also like this one". To do this the system would have to look at the people who recommended a cache and see not only what other caches they recommended but look at who recommended those caches and see what caches those people recommended. Eventually every cache would have a score that would reflect how likely someone who liked cache A would like cache B.

In such a system favorite points given to archived caches would serve an important purpose. While you might see the archived cache itself recommended, it could be the starting point for finding other similar caches. And certainly the recommendations people made on caches that are now archived can be important in linking to other cachers with similar tastes and seeing what other caches they favorited.

Thanks, All.

Very interesting opinions and viewpoints on each side. It will give me some ideas to ponder.

Geocaching.com knew that TPWD was introducing Geocaching for 13 months to see what type of reaction it had with the public and on its state parks. Many more positives than negatives resulted, but one of the biggest negatives were the unintended "geo-trails." TPWD is beginning a new geocaching adventure in October 2012 and will be working out some of the kinks. Many of the parks that were involved in the official challenge now also have Pathtags available to purchase, too. So, I see Geocaching being a part of Texas State Parks for the near and distant future. I just didn't know what I was supposed to do, if anything, with my Favorite Points I awarded, albeit grudgingly, to those now-archived caches.

I appreciate your help and direction.

Thanks, All.

Very interesting opinions and viewpoints on each side. It will give me some ideas to ponder.

Geocaching.com knew that TPWD was introducing Geocaching for 13 months to see what type of reaction it had with the public and on its state parks. Many more positives than negatives resulted, but one of the biggest negatives were the unintended "geo-trails." TPWD is beginning a new geocaching adventure in October 2012 and will be working out some of the kinks. Many of the parks that were involved in the official challenge now also have Pathtags available to purchase, too. So, I see Geocaching being a part of Texas State Parks for the near and distant future. I just didn't know what I was supposed to do, if anything, with my Favorite Points I awarded, albeit grudgingly, to those now-archived caches.

Why are you grudgingly awarding favorite points?

I keep hoping that eventually favorites might become part of Netflix-like system of "If you liked this cache, you might also like this one". To do this the system would have to look at the people who recommended a cache and see not only what other caches they recommended but look at who recommended those caches and see what caches those people recommended. Eventually every cache would have a score that would reflect how likely someone who liked cache A would like cache B.

In such a system favorite points given to archived caches would serve an important purpose. While you might see the archived cache itself recommended, it could be the starting point for finding other similar caches. And certainly the recommendations people made on caches that are now archived can be important in linking to other cachers with similar tastes and seeing what other caches they favorited.

This is a fantastic suggestion! I think a VERY interesting social idea for geocaching.com. Favorite points could be used in this way to present users with a list of "other caches you might like" based on which caches you favorited, and who else favorited those caches, and which other caches those people favorited that you have not found. It could have filters for time, and also location/distance. Size, Difficulty, and Attributes could be considered as well.

Even without any new kind of rating or having to do anything other than favorite caches you like, GS could build a custom/changing list of recommended caches for each user based on favorite points and caching behaviors.

Have you suggested this in the feedback section?

I award favorite points to caches that were/are my favorites. The fact that they be archived does not remove them from my favorites list. Isn't that the porpoise? To reward the caches that are my favorites? 22 have been archived. They're still among my favorite caches. Crab Creek will always be one of my favorites!!!!

As far as I can recall, the only one I have removed from my list was due to a CO arguing about my logging style. Hey! I'll tell you what I think. Ya don't like it, your cache is no longer one of my favorites!

An interesting discussion of a subject that has been on my mind.

I have yet to award my first favorite point, but I have considered that perhaps I should do so despite my misgivings and lack of satisfaction of how the system is set up.

I considered reviewing all my finds and favoriting them based on my subjective enjoyment, but what to do with an extremely good cache that is now archived?

Should I favorite it anyway...who would care? :unsure:

Certainly the owner would be gratified (assuming they are still active), but that favorite point would do nothing to help cachers find the best available caches worth finding.

If it could somehow be tied in to a 'liked this, you'll like that' system, that would be great. B)

As it is, I see a favorite point on an archived cache as wasted. :(

And yes, I still see the whole system as a woefully inadequate way to recommend good caches while avoiding those of lesser quality. (And who is to decide which caches are of a lesser quality? I am, just as I can determine those of superior quality.)

I am hopeful that as time goes on the system will evolve and improve.

Thanks, All.

Why are you grudgingly awarding favorite points?

Well, now that's a really good question, J the Goat. Grudgingly was the wrong word. Maybe, I should say stingy or miserly. I don't just hand them out willy-nilly. I award a cache a favorite, because for whatever reason, something in that cache causes me to remember it days/weeks later afterwards, and it makes me smile/fondly remember it. Now, I understand what I like about a cache may be the very thing that someone else dislikes about it, but to me, I see favorites as a way to say, "Kudos to you cache creator; you did an excellent job with this hide in my opinion." I don't use the Favorite Points to determine whether I'll seek a cache or not, and until this thread, I did not fully grasp that was Groundspeak's intention when creating them. This misunderstanding about Groundspeak's intentions is what led me to ask what I was supposed to do with the favorites when the cache is archived. I have 10 points "bank rolled," and I have awarded nine, six of those have been archived. Thanks for helping me see my faux pas!

Edited by flyfshrgrl

For me – in principle, I think favourite points on an archived cache is part of the history, and ideally I would not remove them.

But in practice: If I had no surplus points available, and found a great cache which clearly deserves a fav point – that means I need to remove a point from another cache. I would be tempted to take the point from an archived cache; as I would prefer to “spend” my points promoting current caches.

Edited by redsox_mark

But in practice: If I had no surplus points available, and found a great cache which clearly deserves a fav point – that means I need to remove a point from another cache. I would be tempted to take the point from an archived cache; as I would prefer to “spend” my points promoting current caches.

Yeah, this is the way I feel about it. I, too, have surplus and haven't had to act on the idea, but if I did, my attitude would be that it used to be one of my favorites, but it's non-existence has caused it to be demoted.

On the other hand, I once gave a favorite point to a cache that didn't exist when I found it. But that's another story.

Thanks for helping.

This is the way i choose to award favorites. These caches were fun to do, creative, challenging, and/or left an impression on me when i found them. Of course i have over 500 points left to award at this time so that enters into my decision also.

I do feel that favorites are a good tool to use when i'm seeking active caches to go for these days. This being the case, and if i only had a few to award, then i would probably remove as needed from archived caches and place on, what i think, are good active caches. This way they might at least be helpful to other cachers who are looking for something other than routine/standard hides.

I don't see either way as right or wrong, simply a matter of personal preference. As a cache owner I'm flattered when I see someone has favorited one of my archived caches. I know that people only get so many to give out and if an archived cache gets one, it must have made a very good impression on that person. It makes me more likely to place a similar cache in the future.

Unlike many others here, I don't have a ton of favorite points to give out so I tend not to award them to archived caches. However of someone else wants to do that I think it's fine.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for helping.

When the cache gets archived, I'll pull my favorites for use somewhere else.

I would just as soon leave my favorite point as the reason I awarded it doesn't change since it got archived. I understand the point of letting others know of best caches in the area. Just my preference.

While the points can be used to recommend caches, that is not the primary reason why I award them. I award them to tell the cache owner that I enjoyed their cache and that I consider it to be above average. That does not change if the cache is archived. Besides, I have about 215 points just gathering dust.