Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Tante.Hossi

Signs of the Zodiac

34 posts in this topic

I have a new category idea: Signs of the Zodiac.

I wondered that there is no category where the Signs of the Zodiac fit into.

They can be found at different places, e.g. at clocks, sundials, ornaments at old buildings, churches ...

f3000bd6-8ec6-4acb-b73b-1a1c708aa76f.jpg

Some more informations about the Signs of the Zodiac at wikipedia.

What do you think about this idea?

Edited by Tante.Hossi

Let me check my horoscope first ...

I would exclude small and cheap zodiacs, limit it to Zs of some artistic distinction. I am sure that there are enough Zs in the world to be considered "prevalent".

It wouldn't be my favorite category, but I see no reason to vote "No" on this. I feel it will not be an easy category, if I look back into all my trips, I can only remember something I saw once in Bratislava.

These are not of high interest to me personally, and I thank these are not very common. If you do have a category for them, however, please consider including the oriental zodiac - the animals that represent the years. I've found a few interesting sites in Korea, but these can all be included in other categories. Usually they are a series of sculptures.

I'm still dealing with this idea. And I still think it is a good and vaild idea and would be a good addition to the existing categories.

To bring it back on topic I have posted some more example pictures:

Zodiac at Sundial

Memorial

And there are more out there!

Can't these be waymarked in Extraterrestrial locations? I have several zodiacs that I waymarked also in Relief Art. I like zodiacs :)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

I was amazed that this thread started in 2012, what happened?

Not a lot of discussion, do you have a "work in progress" for the category? Perhaps if you do it would be helpful to post it here.

Note: I looked for the group, is there one? If so post the link here.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I really like the idea! And while the classic Greek signs could indeed be logged under "Extraterrestrial Locations" I suggest to extend the idea and make it more even more global, including the Chinese Zodiac signs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac

I have seen some great zodiac artwork in Europe, Asia and in the Americas, I think this would be a really interesting category.

The issue though is that all the zodiacs can be waymarked in Extraterrestrial Locations. That's the definition of redundant, even though I like Zodiacs a lot :)

The issue though is that all the zodiacs can be waymarked in Extraterrestrial Locations. That's the definition of redundant, even though I like Zodiacs a lot :)

And almost all the Extraterrestrial Locations can be waymarked under either "Epic Beings and Creatures" or "Statues of Historic Figures".

Besides, I would like to keep the "Extraterrestrial Locations" mainly for statues whereas we are talking here about calendars, murals and other small symbols. Sure there would be overlap, but it would still be unique enough in my book. Especially if we include the Chinese Zodiacs (unless one would argue that all those can be waymarked under Figurative Public Sculptures).

And almost all the Extraterrestrial Locations can be waymarked under either "Epic Beings and Creatures" or "Statues of Historic Figures".

Besides, I would like to keep the "Extraterrestrial Locations" mainly for statues whereas we are talking here about calendars, murals and other small symbols. Sure there would be overlap, but it would still be unique enough in my book. Especially if we include the Chinese Zodiacs (unless one would argue that all those can be waymarked under Figurative Public Sculptures).

The key will be writing the category description. If you can make it more distinctive, then you can perhaps avoid the redundancy issue. I think focusing on the calendar aspect will be crucial. Sort of like how sundials are not the same as town clocks, although both tell time. Good luck! :)

I had a look in the added information. My opinion: it sounds good.

Question: In a waymark, has there be all of the zodiacs or is one enough?

CADS11

I tried a first draft of a possible category description.

It is NOT finished. It's only a first draft to better understand the intention of this category.

Here it is:

This category is looking for all representations of the Signs of Zodiac all around the world.

The Signs of Zodiac are old. They have been used since ancient times.

This category accepts the western Zodiac (also called Greek, Roman, Tropical, ...) as well as the eastern Zodiac (also called Chinese, Hindu, Sidereal, Earthly Branches, ...).

We are looking for every kind of representation of the Signs of Zodiac. This includes paintings, scupltures, symboles, etc.

They can be found on sundials, in churches, at old buildings and at many other objects and locations.

The Signs of Zodiac have their own Unicode symbols. If you find some of them, they can be waymarked as well.

The western Zodiac consists of this twelve signs:

Aries (The Ram)

Taurus (The Bull)

Gemini (The Twins)

Cancer (The Crab)

Leo (The Lion)

Virgo (The Maiden)

Libra (The Scales)

Scorpio (The Scorpion)

Sagittarius (The Centaur/Archer)

Capricorn (Goat-horned/The Sea-Goat)

Aquarius (The Water-Bearer)

Pisces (The Fish)

The eastern Zodiac consists of this twelve signs:

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Rabbit

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Goat

Monkey

Rooster

Dog

Pig

PROOF:

Pay attention! We are NOT looking for every Lion, Bull, Fish, Monkey or Rat.

There must be some proof that it is a Sign of Zodiac representation. Most times the Signs of Zodiac are presented all together. This would be a valid proof. Single representations are rare. But if they can be proofed in some way, they can be included as well.

SINGLE vs. COMBINED WAYMARK:

If there is more than one Sign of Zodiac at the same site, only one combined waymark for all of them is allowed.

A single waymark for every single sign is NOT allowed.

PICTURES:

You have to post at least two pictures of the Signs of Zodiac. One close-up and one more general view. More pictures are always welcome! If there is an information board, please post one picture of it, as well.

DETAILS:

Please provide as many details about the Signs of Zodiac as possible. For example: size, materials, artist, year of creation.

No comment about my first draft ???

:angry: Come on folks! No one interested in this idea?

The description semms to be clear.

I my opinion this catogory is something new an very interesting.

Lets find ZODIACs

I like it! I've found a possible Waymark in Wolfach, BW, last Saturday.

Bring it to the end. :)

We need some officers ...

open enrollment: OFF :sad:

Okay my true self is revealed...

My profile fits me perfectly, even down to the not so complimentary traits.

Might be nice to have a drop down menu with the signs of the zodiac one western the other eastern.

Someone could be a Taurus Dragon, not me though.

I (true to my nature) did a little research in the Extraterrestrial Locations and did not find near as many as I had expected. With some leeway maybe less than 25, most of which were street signs.

Will this qualify: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPV9P_Zodiac_Totem_Nelson_British_Columbia

So you have our interest. (okay, my interest) :blink:

It looks good my only concern when I read the topic was wayamring the Signs of Zodiac individual representations, but you clarified it in the description (must be some proof that it is a Sign of Zodiac representation to be actepted).

You have my support.

Just one thing that came to my mind now.

The waymarks must be permanent?

Zodiac Signs seen at an exoteric convention aren't accepted?

Just to make the category more clear.

We have created a category description. It can be found here: http://www.Waymarkin...2e-a2db389b43fe

We have added three variables:

Radio Button to mark Western or Eastern Zodiac

Dropdown List to choose 'multi-sign waymark' or the specific Sign of Zodiac

Dropdown List to choose type of waymark: Sculpture, Relief, Painting, Symbol, Unicode Symbol, other

We will send the category to Peer review soon.

So you may take a look before and write your comments here.

Thanks!

I don't get the Unicode symbol part. What exactly do you mean? Can you give an example?

I don't get the Unicode symbol part. What exactly do you mean? Can you give an example?

The 12 Western Signs of Zodiac have their own Unicode Symbols. We will accept them as well.

Example: http://www.alt-codes...odiac-signs.php

I know this, I am very familiar with Unicode. But Unicode is a standardized code representation of glyphs. Unicode does not exist outside of computers. How do you want to waymark that?

OK, so you want to say that you are going to accept the symbols as well as more figurative representations of the signs.

That's fine. I thought this is obvious, but it's always better to explicitly state it.

Just get rid of the term "Unicode", it is wrong and does not make any sense.

OK, so you want to say that you are going to accept the symbols as well as more figurative representations of the signs.

That's fine. I thought this is obvious, but it's always better to explicitly state it.

Just get rid of the term "Unicode", it is wrong and does not make any sense.

OK I have deleted the description of the 'unicode symbols'. I also have deleted the type 'unicode symbol' within the variables.

Has the category been approved? If so, have not found it to be active.

Has the category been approved? If so, have not found it to be active.

Yes! The category has passed Peer Review!

We officers are working on some details mentioned during Peer Review.

The category will be activated soon.

Thanks for your votes!

Category was activated automatically.

So send in your submissions!