GC2DDQY

Would annoy me too. Adults not allowed at parks if they don't have kids? Maybe those with kids should watch them better.

Most New York City playgrounds do not permit adults without children.

Wow! I almost can't believe that. I'm kidless by choice. I'd totally feel discriminated against by that rule/law/whatever is is. Do those without kids have to pay any taxes for those parks? Do 4 legged kids count?

Here in Vegas, there are huge SID fees (thousands of dollars) for master planned communities. I'd be really upset if I had to pay that and then couldn't enjoy the park.

You are taxed for plenty of things that you never use and some things that intentionally try to never use. For example, my community fire station just got a new station house costing thousands of dollars. While my tax dollars when in to building it I will NOT be doing anything in an attempt to use their services and I am okay with that.

If you don't like the laws then get involved in government. At the very least VOTE. If you don't like the community rules then get involved in your HOA or buy your own land and build whatever you want there and make your own rules.

Would annoy me too. Adults not allowed at parks if they don't have kids? Maybe those with kids should watch them better.

Correct. I do believe there was a guy who was ranting in these forums about a year ago that his NYC playground cache was rejected, and the reviewer cited the law in a note on the cache page. I'd like to think there are other places in the USA with such a law, but then again, NYC is the only place that bans Trans fats in restaurants, and is threatening to regulate how much Pepsi you can have with your meal. :laughing:

NYC is were Etan Patz went missing. He is the first missing boy to be featured on a milk carton.

Wow! I almost can't believe that. I'm kidless by choice. I'd totally feel discriminated against by that rule/law/whatever is is. Do those without kids have to pay any taxes for those parks? Do 4 legged kids count?

Here in Vegas, there are huge SID fees (thousands of dollars) for master planned communities. I'd be really upset if I had to pay that and then couldn't enjoy the park.

You are taxed for plenty of things that you never use and some things that intentionally try to never use. For example, my community fire station just got a new station house costing thousands of dollars. While my tax dollars when in to building it I will NOT be doing anything in an attempt to use their services and I am okay with that.

If you don't like the laws then get involved in government. At the very least VOTE. If you don't like the community rules then get involved in your HOA or buy your own land and build whatever you want there and make your own rules.

Thousands of dollars? Down here, it's millions. As far as voting, despite the fact that no one I have ever voted for has ever been elected, I'll keep trying. We're to close too Hollywood. Around here, people vote for the candidate with the best hair. As far as the topic, I have absolutely no problem with a jurisdiction creating a "children only" area in their public parks. I am a 51 year old single man. I have no business hanging around with a bunch of 2-5 year old children. What's sad is when we have to legislate common sense.

Edited by Don_J

I don't think that they are excluding anyone from the entire park, you just can't play on the Jungle Gym.

This was a helpful and clarifying reply. Thanks Don_J.

I don't think that they are excluding anyone from the entire park, you just can't play on the Jungle Gym.

This was a helpful and clarifying reply. Thanks Don_J.

That would be incorrect. Any area that is designatd a 'playground' has a sign prohibiting adults not accomapnied by children.

I am a 51 year old single man. I have no business hanging around with a bunch of 2-5 year old children. What's sad is when we have to legislate common sense.

Not really Geocaching related, but I toss it out there anyway.

What is REALLY sad is that you and those kids could probably learn a lot from each other, if there wasn't this big societal perception that you (or I) must be some kind of pervert.

Back in the day, the 'old folks' were the primary caregivers of the younger kids, and a lot of REALLY GOOD wisdom was passed along that way. Kids mostly don't get that any more. :(

Thousands of dollars? Down here, it's millions. As far as voting, despite the fact that no one I have ever voted for has ever been elected, I'll keep trying. We're to close too Hollywood. Around here, people vote for the candidate with the best hair. As far as the topic, I have absolutely no problem with a jurisdiction creating a "children only" area in their public parks. I am a 51 year old single man. I have no business hanging around with a bunch of 2-5 year old children. What's sad is when we have to legislate common sense.

Is it common sense to legislate me out of any area of a park? Sure, restrooms of opposite sex come to mind. Maybe park offices if there. But to make it a crime for an adult to be on a play ground without kids?

I get not wanting the creepy guy there staring down kids with one hand in his pants. So arrest him I say. To just ban adults without kids is crazy, IMO. What if I'm playing catch with my adult friend and the ball goes into the playground area? Is it illegal to retriev it? Can a safety inspector inspect the playground equipment without a token kid? Could a cop investigate a crime at the pkayground without bringing a kid?

I know these are over the top, but it seems to me the intent is to ensure an adult in a park or near a playground with kids has a purpose. I submit looking for a cache is indeed a purpose and I'm having a hard time trying to see why it should be illegal.

Edited by CatfishPilot
I submit looking for a cache is indeed a purpose and I'm having a hard time trying to see why it should be illegal.

On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that permission had been sought (or granted) to place a cache in a park that prohibits unaccompanied adults.

Why? There is one like that in San Francisco. It is illegal for unaccompanied adults to enter the park in question. Cache got approved with (AFAIK) no problems.

I submit looking for a cache is indeed a purpose and I'm having a hard time trying to see why it should be illegal.

On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that permission had been sought (or granted) to place a cache in a park that prohibits unaccompanied adults.

Why? There is one like that in San Francisco. It is illegal for unaccompanied adults to enter the park in question. Cache got approved with (AFAIK) no problems.

Cache approved / published does not imply permission was granted.

A geocache will attract geocachers. Many geocachers are adults, and geocache without kids. Some will be drawn to the park, regardless of what the cache page says. A city employee who understands the game will be unlikely to risk his / her job in approving such a cache.

Edited by Chrysalides