Archived cache

getfit74

Hey guys,

Got a quick question, I have a cache that's been archived by a reviewer. I'm in the process of getting it replaced. It's a regular cache but was wanting to if I can get it activated again turn it into a multi cache, keep the original coords for the first stage and have the coords to the final cache in it. Was just wondering if this was possible.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Eric

Hey guys,

Got a quick question, I have a cache that's been archived by a reviewer. I'm in the process of getting it replaced. It's a regular cache but was wanting to if I can get it activated again turn it into a multi cache, keep the original coords for the first stage and have the coords to the final cache in it. Was just wondering if this was possible.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Eric

First question is why did the reviewer archive the cache? Was it a proximity issue? Or some other issue that would prevent a cache from going in the same spot?

The reviewers are unlikely to unarchive the listing if you're changing the cache's type. Just go ahead and submit a new listing. You wouldn't be the first to reuse a cache location for a different kind of cache.

This sounds like the best option for you to follow.

Good luck with the new Listing!

A couple of things here.

1. The cache was archived over five months ago. Unless there are some sort of special circumstances involved, it should not be unarchived and the reviewer may be reluctant to do so.

2. The cache was archived because it apparently went missing and you did not respond to several DNF logs. You also didn't respond to the note from the reviewer to check on the status of your cache, thus the reviewer arched it. If you place a new cache, will you be able to maintain it, or will the reviewer have to get involved again?

3. After a cache is published, the owner cannot change the cache type. A reviewer can but many will not if anyone has posted a found log to it as it changes their caching history.

Your only real option would be to start fresh. Place your multi and submit a new cache page.

You have only found 36 caches since you became a member in 2006, and only 9 this year. You placed one cache which you ignored a few DNF logs, a reviewer note to your cache, and presumably an email was sent to you as well. You also had 2 years away from logging any finds. Are you absolutely sure you can and will maintain the cache? If so then you will need to make a new cache. you can use the same co-ords, that's fine. If you won't maintain it then please don't put one out.

It's not a race, It's experience. The more you find, the more you see what makes a good cache and what doesn't. I was in a hurry when I started and I decided to place some caches. thought they where great, but they all sucked. I didn't even completely understand why the guidelines where there. What I mean to say is IMO you don't have the experience, and you seem to be doing this as a "thing" that you will blow off after a month or two, which if that's the case please don't place a new cache. Of course if you are going to stick with it, and you think you know what you are doing, then by all means go for it...

It's not a race, It's experience. The more you find, the more you see what makes a good cache and what doesn't. I was in a hurry when I started and I decided to place some caches. thought they where great, but they all sucked. I didn't even completely understand why the guidelines where there. What I mean to say is IMO you don't have the experience, and you seem to be doing this as a "thing" that you will blow off after a month or two, which if that's the case please don't place a new cache. Of course if you are going to stick with it, and you think you know what you are doing, then by all means go for it...

Wow! There is a new player just north of me. He/she started about 14 weeks ago, has found 50 or so and has placed 2 traditionals. A week or so ago he placed a five part multi. It has had five finds, five glowing logs and five favorite points. I talked to the guy that was FTF. He has found around 5000 and says that it is the best cache that he has ever found, that each stage on it's own was the best he had ever found.

To say flat out that someone does not have enough experience to hide a cache based on their number of finds is just plain wrong.

Wow! There is a new player just north of me. He/she started about 14 weeks ago, has found 50 or so and has placed 2 traditionals. A week or so ago he placed a five part multi. It has had five finds, five glowing logs and five favorite points. I talked to the guy that was FTF. He has found around 5000 and says that it is the best cache that he has ever found, that each stage on it's own was the best he had ever found.

To say flat out that someone does not have enough experience to hide a cache based on their number of finds is just plain wrong.

The cache in question (a 1.5/1.5 small) was archived after it received several DNFs stretched out over almost 6 months, then was disabled by the reviewer (presumably after someone notified said reviewer) and then was archived due to lack of intervention by the cache owner. I think the point that needs to be made is if you are going to hide a cache you should have plans to perform maintenance should the need arise, which is something that did not happen with the cache that was archived.

Please see the last 2 sentences of T.D.M.22's post (which I have highlighted in bold & red) above in my reply. That pretty much sums it up for me.

The cache in question (a 1.5/1.5 small) was archived after it received several DNFs stretched out over almost 6 months, then was disabled by the reviewer (presumably after someone notified said reviewer) and then was archived due to lack of intervention by the cache owner. I think the point that needs to be made is if you are going to hide a cache you should have plans to perform maintenance should the need arise, which is something that did not happen with the cache that was archived.

Please see the last 2 sentences of T.D.M.22's post (which I have highlighted in bold & red) above in my reply. That pretty much sums it up for me.

That is a matter of responsibility and has nothing to do with the amount of caches one has found. We have cachers with 15K+ finds that do the exact same thing, repeatedly. If someone wants to condemn this guy because he abandoned his cache, then do so, or better yet, explain that placing a cache is a responsibility and you need to follow up on your cache if problems arise.

I started typing this, this morning but had to rush off before I could post it. Now I see:

Didn't realize I would get the third degree for asking a simple question, note taken take questions elsewhere:)

Actually, this is a great place to ask questions and I believe that you got the proper answers. Unfortunately, people here usually start to answer questions that were not asked and give advice that was not solicited. Please understand that because of the way that Geocaching.com works, we can all see your other cache listing and we can see the history of it. When you submit a cache, you have to click a box at the bottom of the form that says that you have read the guidelines and understand them. One of the guidelines is that you are responsible for the maintenance of the cache, including replacing it if it is missing or archiving it if you have no plans to replace it. You didn't do this with your last cache and that is where the criticism comes from. Cache owners not maintaining their caches is a big ongoing issue in these forums and you kind of dropped right into the middle of it. I would hope that you now understand that this is an important part of being a cache owner and I wish you luck with your new cache.

The more you find, the more you see what makes a good cache and what doesn't.

So finding every cache on a power trail lets you see what makes a good multistage puzzle cache? (Yes, I know I am twisting your words :P )

While finding caches of the type that you want to hide will help you get a little experience the best way to experience being a cache owner is to hide a cache. Cache descriptions can be changed. Caches can be relocated. If needed caches can be archived and new ones listed.

What you don't want to do is place a cache and then expect that to be all that you have to do and move on to something else.

You have only found 36 caches since you became a member in 2006, and only 9 this year. You placed one cache which you ignored a few DNF logs, a reviewer note to your cache, and presumably an email was sent to you as well. You also had 2 years away from logging any finds. Are you absolutely sure you can and will maintain the cache? If so then you will need to make a new cache. you can use the same co-ords, that's fine. If you won't maintain it then please don't put one out.

Since we've got the rulers out, you, T.D.M., have only been caching for a year and have only found 146 caches. Based solely on this, I wouldn't consider you the voice of experience, either. Nor would I hold myself out as such, because there are plenty of folks out there who have been doing this much longer and have far more experience than I.

Take a step back and stop worrying about statistics so much, and let Groundspeak and the reviewers worry about who gets to place what caches.