Seek but don't hide

alien55

It is interesting to me to see that so many support "leeches" in the geocaching community, and even give them a laughable excuse that they will hide bad and/or poorly maintained caches. If you are capable of finding them, then you are capable of hiding and maintaining them. I agree that there are other ways to contribute, but I seriously doubt very many non hiders are actively participating in those.

"Leeches"? :blink:

There are many reasons why somebody might not want to hide any caches, and I don't really care which reason it is... if they can't or don't want to for any reason, then I don't want them to, either. That doesn't make them a "leech". Those that want to hide, will hide. Those that don't want to hide, shouldn't hide. I am a hider, and I don't care, in fact... have never even given any thought to... how many hides any finders of my caches have. I certainly would never consider any of them to be "leeches".

Why the big hang up over quality, well maintained caches? The reality is that most caches are pretty ordinary and have damp logs. Without the park n grabs stuck under lampost skirts or the ammo cans hidden under geopiles that can be seen from 25 yards we'd be struggling to have a regular hobby. Sure, it's great to find a unique hide in a wonderful location, but these are the exception rather than the norm. There's plenty of room on this planet for caches of all types, surely, and you can take them or leave them.

We didn't "struggle to have a hobby" back before all the stop-sign and lampskirt caches. We are "hung up" over quality caches because, well... we prefer quality caches. That's why we call them "quality", don'tcha know.

Let me add another way of looking at this:

As a hider of many caches, I would prefer that cache hiding be voluntary. I would rather my caches be seen as a voluntary act of giving than as a requirement for finding caches. I feel better about myself because I give my caches to others voluntarily. Make hiding mandatory and you take that away from me.

As a hider of many caches, I would prefer that cache hiding be voluntary. I would rather my caches be seen as a voluntary act of giving than as a requirement for finding caches. I feel better about myself because I give my caches to others voluntarily. Make hiding mandatory and you take that away from me.

I've never said make it mandatory, it is a concept to me, that if you are going to use the resources, then you should contribute. I've already stated that I think there are other ways to contribute, but doubt many strictly do them. Contrary to all the crappy hides out there, hiding caches isn't that difficult. I don't like the enabling attitude of giving people a pass to not contribute, because they won't hide quality caches. To use another silly analogy that won't quite fit (like the writing a book one used earlier). It's like not expecting your kids to do chores around the house, because they won't don't them well. Like I said, it is a concept, not a reality or call for a mandatory rule.

I've never said make it mandatory, it is a concept to me, that if you are going to use the resources, then you should contribute. I've already stated that I think there are other ways to contribute, but doubt many strictly do them. Contrary to all the crappy hides out there, hiding caches isn't that difficult. I don't like the enabling attitude of giving people a pass to not contribute, because they won't hide quality caches. To use another silly analogy that won't quite fit (like the writing a book one used earlier). It's like not expecting your kids to do chores around the house, because they won't don't them well. Like I said, it is a concept, not a reality or call for a mandatory rule.

I never said you said to make it mandatory. :D In fact, you weren't exactly the target of my though. I was referring to the entire thread, not just what you have said about it. And my point stands. As soon as you start to say that people "should" hide caches, then my caches are no longer a contribution. They are a tax.

Perhaps the distinction that needs to be made is between those who are incapable of placing a cache because of a handicap, lack of time and resources or other such reasons, and those who have the time and ability but simply can't be bothered. Placing a decent hide is not rocket science but it does require some thought and effort that not everyone wants to be bothered with. Is that right or wrong? The overall opinion that seems to be coming through on this thread is that it doesn't matter.

Perhaps the distinction that needs to be made is between those who are incapable of placing a cache because of a handicap, lack of time and resources or other such reasons, and those who have the time and ability but simply can't be bothered. Placing a decent hide is not rocket science but it does require some thought and effort that not everyone wants to be bothered with. Is that right or wrong? The overall opinion that seems to be coming through on this thread is that it doesn't matter.

Perhaps the distinction needs to be made between those who want to hide caches, and those who don't want to hide caches. Period.

+1

When you force someone to volunteer, they are no longer a volunteer. They are going to go about it begrudgingly and half hardheartedly, and they are not going to feel the sense of reward. The resulting work is not likely to be very good.

I never said you said to make it mandatory. :D In fact, you weren't exactly the target of my though. I was referring to the entire thread, not just what you have said about it. And my point stands. As soon as you start to say that people "should" hide caches, then my caches are no longer a contribution. They are a tax.

Holdup here! This thread is not about making it mandatory to hide. It is about whether geocaching should be approached in the spirit of give and take. Read the first post!

Why the big hang up over quality, well maintained caches? The reality is that most caches are pretty ordinary and have damp logs. Without the park n grabs stuck under lampost skirts or the ammo cans hidden under geopiles that can be seen from 25 yards we'd be struggling to have a regular hobby. Sure, it's great to find a unique hide in a wonderful location, but these are the exception rather than the norm. There's plenty of room on this planet for caches of all types, surely, and you can take them or leave them.

We didn't "struggle to have a hobby" back before all the stop-sign and lampskirt caches. We are "hung up" over quality caches because, well... we prefer quality caches. That's why we call them "quality", don'tcha know.

Please define quality. Isn't it in the eye of the finder? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of cachers who are happy enough logging magnetic key containers, film canisters and magnetic bolts. These hides may not meet your standards of quality but they give a lot of fun to a lot of cachers.

+1

When you force someone to volunteer, they are no longer a volunteer. They are going to go about it begrudgingly and half hardheartedly, and they are not going to feel the sense of reward. The resulting work is not likely to be very good.

On that basis, would the economy be in better shape if we all went to work voluntarily? :-)

Holdup here! This thread is not about making it mandatory to hide. It is about whether geocaching should be approached in the spirit of give and take. Read the first post!

The first post says this.

It seems that there's more than a few geocachers out there who have racked up many, many finds but not placed a single hide. I'm interested to hear what others think about this. My feeling is that geocaching should be done in the spirit of give and take, although I understand that for one reason or another it might be difficult for some cachers to place hides.

And the title is "Seek but don't hide". "Give and take" is there but buried later in the small print.

I have no problems with spirit of give and take but every problem with seek but don't hide which is the headline description.

It seems that there's more than a few geocachers out there who have racked up many, many finds but not placed a single hide. I'm interested to hear what others think about this. My feeling is that geocaching should be done in the spirit of give and take, although I understand that for one reason or another it might be difficult for some cachers to place hides.

And the title is "Seek but don't hide". "Give and take" is there but buried later in the small print.

I have no problems with spirit of give and take but every problem with seek but don't hide which is the headline description.

...and "mandatory" is not mentioned at all, either in large or small print.

...and "mandatory" is not mentioned at all, either in large or small print.

Also and if we're going to get pedantic, you could interpret the title of the post as advising against hiding....

How's this for an answer? The overall opinion in this thread, and every other time I remember it coming up, is that it doesn't matter. But this is the forums, not your local geo community. :)

Seeking withou hiding is not the norm, also. And I'm defining this with over 1,000 finds and no hides (very rare), or one or two hides (much more common, at least in my area).

Please define quality. Isn't it in the eye of the finder? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of cachers who are happy enough logging magnetic key containers, film canisters and magnetic bolts. These hides may not meet your standards of quality but they give a lot of fun to a lot of cachers.

No, I don't think that it is in the "eye of the finder". Not really. There is a universal acknowledgement of what quality is. There are subtle differences, but in general, we know what quality is just as we all know what "red" is, even though none of us see colors exactly the same as everyone else. There is general agreement about what makes up "red" and "quality".

+1

On that basis, would the economy be in better shape if we all went to work voluntarily? :-)

There may be a lot of truth in that. We'd only be paying the productive workers then. Why pay the deadbeats to do nothing?

The blood center where I donate uses volunteers to staff the canteen area (where donors are provided refreshments while waiting the mandatory 15 minutes after donating blood). Some volunteers are there only because it's an easy way to clock their required community service hours for school. Some volunteers are there because they want to serve the blood center by serving those who have donated blood. It isn't hard to tell which are which. Fortunately, the ones who just want to clock their hours aren't there long. Unfortunately, there are plenty more ready to replace them.

I'm not a 'leech'.

I have almost 1500 finds.

I have planned 1 event.

I have adopted 2 caches.

I have put out 7 other caches.

I am very active in the local geocaching community; I volunteer for the GPS maze exhibit; I teach new cachers the ropes; I CITO out on most cache runs; I send out and move on trackables; I write nice logs and help take care of caches when needed; I care about the hobby.

Around here, many parks/areas are saturated. Adding another cache just for the numbers is silly to me. I try to make my caches unique in some way. I am more of a finder than a placer, but if I find an area that needs one and I have a good idea, I may add one. I don't need a convention to tell me when to add another cache, which would just lead to another film can in a parking lot (none of mine are that).

I had over 800 finds before I placed my first cache just a few weeks ago. Have wanted to place one for quite sometime, but I have been moving around between cities (and countries) for work, and didn't see the point in putting one out and either archiving it or not maintaining it after a few months. Coming to the forums and seeing all the complaints about rubbish caches also made me very nervous about the placement! I hope I will hide another one soon.... when I find a good spot!

Interesting to get all these opinions, which clearly support the notion of geocaching is whatever you want to make of it.

Ummm no. I like to play baseball. I don't like to play shortstop. So I don't. That doesn't mean I don't play by the rules.

But that doesn't mean I have to play every position. And there's plenty of people on the field who want to play shortstop.

Interesting to get all these opinions, which clearly support the notion of geocaching is whatever you want to make of it.

Ummm no. I like to play baseball. I don't like to play shortstop. So I don't. That doesn't mean I don't play by the rules.

But that doesn't mean I have to play every position. And there's plenty of people on the field who want to play shortstop.

I think you misunderstood. When I said geocaching is what you want to make of it, I meant that cachers can participate in the parts that they enjoy and do not necessarily have to bother with the aspects that they don't enjoy......just like you seem to do with baseball. Not sure what geocaching-related point you're making regarding playing by the rules.

I didn't read every post so someone probably pointed this out but it is worth repeating.

Many people with massive find counts have alternate accounts that they use for their hides.

Yes, someone has already made that point. Thanks anyway,I wasn't aware of that.

I think this post has run its course. A lot of opinions have been expressed (which I respect but don't necessarily agree with) and analogies with this, that and the other have been put forth. There is no doubt that the majority view is that cachers shouldn't feel obligated to place hides if they aren't interested in doing so. Thanks to all who participated.

And not every person is good at every position. Personally I prefer if people like and are good at the positions they are playing instead of playing a position because they feel obligated to.

I think this post has run its course. A lot of opinions have been expressed (which I respect but don't necessarily agree with) and analogies with this, that and the other have been put forth. There is no doubt that the majority view is that cachers shouldn't feel obligated to place hides if they aren't interested in doing so. Thanks to all who participated.

PS - I'm going to continue placing hides in my own merry way. Some will be simple park and grabs and others will be a bit more unique. One thing I'm sure of is that I'm not going to have sleepless nights worrying about whether they pass muster with the geoquality police. Cache on!

I had over 800 finds before I placed my first cache just a few weeks ago. Have wanted to place one for quite sometime, but I have been moving around between cities (and countries) for work, and didn't see the point in putting one out and either archiving it or not maintaining it after a few months. Coming to the forums and seeing all the complaints about rubbish caches also made me very nervous about the placement! I hope I will hide another one soon.... when I find a good spot!

Thank-you!

You'll know it when you see it. ;)

IMNSHO, an excellent analogy!

I think pitcher might have been a better choice, but we get the idea. B)

Please define IMNSHO for the uninitiated and explain why the analogy is excellent. Baseball is a highly disciplined team sport that is highly dependant on the functioning of the team as a cohesive unit for success. However,geocaching works well as an individual pursuit or team sport/pastime.

Edited by alien55

There are over 183,526 cachers and 1,826,702 hides. I really don't see a problem with some who choose not to place any.

When we have someone with 1,826,702 finds and they start complaining that there isn't enough caches to find, then we should worry about getting more placed. As it is, the pace of cache hiding is more than adequate for 90% of geocachers and the rate is accelerating. Not to mention the pace of quality hides lags waaaay behind total hides. Double or triple the quality hide pace and it'd still be woefully inadequate.

I'm much more grateful to the cacher who chooses not to place a hide than I am to someone who perceives an imaginary pressure to hide caches or thinks a large number of hides equals status and shotguns a few dozen every 528 feet or places one at every stop sign in the county.

Agreed. As a cache seeker, I feel it's my responsibility to contribute to the community in whatever way I can. Sadly, too many people nowadays are reluctant to volunteer for *anything* and that includes contributing to the geocaching community. Either by hiding caches, helping maintain, or whatever. They just want to take, take, take...

However, on the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't want someone to hide a cache just because they felt obligated and then do a bad job of it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Please define IMNSHO for the uninitiated and explain why the analogy is excellent. Baseball is a highly disciplined team sport that is highly dependant on the functioning of the team as a cohesive unit for success. However,geocaching works well as an individual pursuit or team sport/pastime.

In My Not So Humble Opinion. :P

In Baseball, forcing someone to play a position they would rather not may not produce the best game-play.

In Geocaching, forcing someone to hide caches may not produce the best hides.

Agreed. As a cache seeker, I feel it's my responsibility to contribute to the community in whatever way I can. Sadly, too many people nowadays are reluctant to volunteer for *anything* and that includes contributing to the geocaching community. Either by hiding caches, helping maintain, or whatever. They just want to take, take, take...

However, on the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't want someone to hide a cache just because they felt obligated and then do a bad job of it.

Oh oh! Another "geoquality" cop has pulled up! Keep your caches where we can see them! :P

Oh oh! Another "geoquality" cop has pulled up! Keep your caches where we can see them! :P

...and remember that possession of bison tubes and 35mm film containers is limited to 2 of each item! The penalty for breaking this law is 60 hours of geocommunity service: hiding AAA+ grade caches and drying damp logs

I don't know why you're singling me out. I"m not personally against micros, if nothing bigger will fit. Further up the thread, you said this:

...and remember that possession of bison tubes and 35mm film containers is limited to 2 of each item! The penalty for breaking this law is 60 hours of geocommunity service: hiding AAA+ grade caches and drying damp logs

You asked a question. I answered it with my opinion. Then you mock me. Boo! :rolleyes:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

You asked a question. I answered it with my opinion. Then you mock me. Boo! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, it's not aimed at you. Our friend Knowschad (whatever that mght mean) was taking a jibe at me in response to my earlier comment about not worrying over whether my caches will be acceptable to the geopolice.

I don't know why you're singling me out. I"m not personally against micros, if nothing bigger will fit. Further up the thread, you said this:

Sorry... I wasn't picking on you in the least... I was calling out the phrase "geopolice" that was used in a previous post in reference to many of us that made statements regarding cache quality.

Sorry... I wasn't picking on you in the least... I was calling out the phrase "geopolice" that was used in a previous post in reference to many of us that made statements regarding cache quality.

Geopolice - a term not a phrase :)

Edited by alien55

Our friend Knowschad (whatever that mght mean)

It means that I know Chad.

Thanks for that. I was wondering. In case you are wondering too, well, I'm just another alien (but a legal one, so please don't send the geopolice after me).

Edited by alien55

Baseball is a highly disciplined team sport that is highly dependant on the functioning of the team as a cohesive unit for success. However,geocaching works well as an individual pursuit or team sport/pastime.

This got me thinking. Baseball isn't always "highly disciplined" or even a "team sport" - I remember playing many a 'work up' game as a youth. No teams and only the individual's skill that got him to the plate.

On the other side, geocaching isn't only a 'individual pursuit' either. It takes a team to do it - hider (CO), lister (GC.com), and seekers. Without all three, there wouldn't be much going on around here.

Baseball is a highly disciplined team sport that is highly dependant on the functioning of the team as a cohesive unit for success. However,geocaching works well as an individual pursuit or team sport/pastime.

This got me thinking. Baseball isn't always "highly disciplined" or even a "team sport" - I remember playing many a 'work up' game as a youth. No teams and only the individual's skill that got him to the plate.

On the other side, geocaching isn't only a 'individual pursuit' either. It takes a team to do it - hider (CO), lister (GC.com), and seekers. Without all three, there wouldn't be much going on around here.

The Tigers, Jays and Umpires are not one team.

hider (CO) = Defense

seekers = Offense

lister (GC.com) = All other non team roles