Do you leave a calling card in caches?

I've started leaving a business card tagged with my GC handle.

You?

Most people on here are going to tell you not to leave buisness cards because they will just end up becoming a soggy mess in the cache.

My business cards are stamped aluminum. :)

Stamped aluminum? Cool! Where to get one for those that are interested.... Like me???

I trade for any calling card by another cacher. I have quite a collection.

Here is mine:

a7d06b96-6ea8-41b4-81a0-6ad02a515c49.jpg

We bag everything we put in a cache. We added our sig cards to the bags.

Later, friends told us that the items were probably traded, but the cards were taken out and laying in the bottom of caches, sometimes still in the bag.

- We no longer put cards in, since they may end up as litter later.

No I don't and if you put them in my caches, they will be cleaned out on my next maintenance run. Sig items(depend if they can handle getting wet) and all calling cards will be removed.

Out of curiosity, why do you clean them out? Certainly as a CO, that's your prerogative, but I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

Edited by flyangler18

No I don't and if you put them in my caches, they will be cleaned out on my next maintenance run. Sig items(depend if they can handle getting wet) and all calling cards will be removed.

Out of curiosity, why do you clean them out? Certainly as a CO, that's your prerogative, but I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

Because they (the non-stamped aluminum kind) will "just end up becoming a soggy mess in the cache." Those that don't fall out and get scattered by the wind, that is.

I can count one one hand how many times I've taken swag from my 144 finds. It's usually my little cousins that like to trade. I don't mind Sig items, one of the locals has some plastic disks with their geonames on it. Now of course Ive found business card sig items and they are usually a "soggy mess"

Edited by T.D.M.22

I use a special Carte de Viste that I've created just for Geocaching. My avatar with the URL to one of my personal websites is on the card with some of my favorite activities: Geocaching, Bicycling, Hiking and Story Telling*. No offer of services is implied or stated. The closest I come to business is on one of the URLs I have a link to a fundraiser bike ride sponsored by a local MS chapter; when the ride is in season, the link is active. When the ride is over, the link is not on the page.

I revived a practice from when I rode motorcycles with club dedicated to a specific brand motorcycle. Members developed these "Visiting Cards" to exchange with other members at rallies. I view Geocaching kinda like that: it's a rally, only we're not all there at the same time. If I like the cache, and there's room, I'll drop a card after signing the log. I'm not much into the trading because I've rarely find anything in the caches I want. Doesn't mean I can't leave something behind without taking something.

*I'll gladly trade a story for a cold one. And yes, ice tea will do just fine if that's all you've got :)

I leave my laminated calling card/signature item when the container has room and the cache itself was a nice hide/great view/had a creative container/was in an interesting spot. The cards are individually numbered (since some people love to collect this stuff) and has a deprecated coin inside the plastic. It's described and pictured on my profile page. One of the cards contains a lucky chance wildcard spoiler to a D4 mystery on the back, and I may even have left it behind in a cache somewhere ;) Then again, I may not.

You?

Most people on here are going to tell you not to leave buisness cards because they will just end up becoming a soggy mess in the cache.

Stamped aluminum? Cool! Where to get one for those that are interested.... Like me???

Here is mine:

That's cool! I would grab your stamped logo and attach it to my swag bag. Definitely tradeable.

Since this has evolved into a conversation about personalized tokens, what is the best way to create some of these tokens? I really love Snoogans' metal tokens, although the burned wooden nickels seem a bit more economical. I'm hunting around online, and it seems that a decent DIY kit is going to run me $300-400 for initial start up. Has anyone found any cheaper set up?

We place wooden nickles with our caching name in caches some of the time. I love seeing sig items in caches. I enjoy seeing some clever ways people create their own sig items.

I sometimes use wooden nickles as well. I haven't made any recently thougth, so only have a few left. I usualy only put them in caches I really enjoy, or when out of town.

You?

Here is mine:

That's cool! I would grab your stamped logo and attach it to my swag bag. Definitely tradeable.

One of my most exciting caching moments was finding a snoogans smooshed penny in a cache (and then trudging through the mud back to the car). I still have them sitting around.

I'll leave those tags we can't talk about in caches in a lot if they'll fit. I've thought about doing a card like thing with photographs I've taken but opted out of it.

You?

Here is mine:

One of my most exciting caching moments was finding a snoogans smooshed penny in a cache (and then trudging through the mud back to the car). I still have them sitting around.

I'll leave those tags we can't talk about in caches in a lot if they'll fit. I've thought about doing a card like thing with photographs I've taken but opted out of it.

Aww ... You just made my day. Thanks. :)

We sign the log and if we like the cache, we leave our heart (psssst, we are rockhounds).

31wdaRGRykL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Like this one - rose quartz or any other type of stone that has been polished. It is something that people of all ages might like to grab and keep or pass along.

Shirley~

Heyyy I picked up a heart like that from a cache while traveling out west in 2010. Now I have to check if we have found any of the same caches and if I was there after you.

That stone rode on my dash for the rest of that 8,666 mile trip.

After surfing this topic I googled 'wooden nickels' and came across a site that prints them up. I ordered 100 wood coins for about $50. When I got them they turned out to be pretty nice. If they have any misprints they toss those in as well for no charge so I ended up with 112.

Actually, if your cache is getting wet, your not using an appropriate container and/or not doing a good maintenance job. If a calling card can get wet, then the cache log can get wet as well.

I place Personal Trading Cards in caches all the time. If placed properly, they turn out to be great trading items. The cards should be laminated or placed in water resistent sleeves. Hard plastic top loading sleeves work the best, and thats what i use. The cards should also only be placed in dry containers. I usually place a card (with a sleeve) inside the log book where I sign, and then make sure the container also includes a ziplock back for the log book.

Never had any complaints and my cards have been well received.