Garmin Dakota 20

I use a Dakota 20 for my geocaching and frequently find the compass arrow pointing at me as I walk forwards towards a GZ and the distance counts further and further down. Recently I spotted the GZ about 500 feet away and walked in a straight line, across open ground, towards it. The arrow remained constantly pointing directly away from the GZ though it counted down steadily from 545 feet to 1 foot and I was almost standing on the cache.

Does anyone else "suffer" from this phenomenon? Is there a fix? :blink: :blink: :blink:

I don't know, but my eTrex 30 suffers from a horribly unreliable compass which requires calibration every hour at best. I simply disabled the compass and am relying on heading and a true old school Silva compass, everything works better that way.

Yes it is set to bearing and I do calibrate after battery change. I have also noticed that when it is doing this and I click to map it orientates the map so that all the writing is upside down in relation to the direction I am taking.Puzzling :blink:

Do you have a smartphone?

Can you video the device behaving this way and upload to youtube?

@geraldiscambrensis: How is your routing configured? The arrow could point to the nearest intersection when routing is on. I've had the same problem, when using routing to get to a geoache. Now I set routing to offroad, on the map it shows my current position connected by a straight line to the geocache. The arrow then also points in the right direction.

@geraldiscambrensis: How is your routing configured? The arrow could point to the nearest intersection when routing is on. I've had the same problem, when using routing to get to a geoache. Now I set routing to offroad, on the map it shows my current position connected by a straight line to the geocache. The arrow then also points in the right direction.

Thanks kritou but I change to off road before I exit car. :)

That's odd. I have no problems with mine, rarely recalibrate the compass. I would suggest calling Garmin.

I quite agree, it is odd.Probably why I mentioned it. I have contacted Garmin, and followed their very precise instructions for a factory re-set, but from time to time this glitch manifests itself. Of 20 caches I visited yesterday this only happened twice. On the fifth and the seventeenth.It's not life-threatening, in my neck of the woods, but is a bit of a pain. :blink: