How do you bring the caceh descriptions?

Jozii

I've seen many ways of bringing the details of caches (coordinates, hints, descriptions, photos, etc.) to the field. Some have GPS'es with all that info stored in them, others simply print the cache pages, and some write stuff down by hand from the screen. I've also seen some creative solutions, for example one guy who printed like a small booklet and even had a "table of content" on the first page. And one cacher who had a VERY organized logbook where it was determined what page the cache details would be written on based on where in the world the cache was located.

So how do you do it? If you have pictures of your "system", that would be cool too :D

I bought a Palm m500 PDA. I load the cache info onto the SD card and use that. (GSAK is great for this.)

Works real well for me.

Older Palms are cheap and can be found at garage sales, crags list, or even E-Bay. Just be sure if you are using windows 7, you get a palm that has the SD card. You cannot hotsync the palm and the computer with windows 7, (nor with Vista I think.)

Initially, I used a Palm PDA and copy-pasted cache descriptions into text memos on the Palm Desktop. Then I would hotsync the date to the device.

Now, I use Neongeo on my Android phone. It gives me access to PQ data (including corrected coordinates for solved puzzles) and to live data.

Occasionally, I print cache data. The main time I do this is when I'm introducing new geocachers to the activity. It's just easier to hand them printed pages than to explain how to use my phone.

My Garmin Etrex 20 allows you to sync with the Cache webpage and then download a GPX file (IIRC) which has all the info on it. Descriptions, Hints, Logs, Map Position, Etc. Then you just click on the Cache Icon on the Etrex Map screen and it shows you the description. Click "Go" and it is your next destination. and then it puts you back to the map screen. Then if you want to review the Cache Info you choose the Geocache section and it shows you a screen with a menu that has Description, Hints, Logs etc. It also allows you to enter whether you found the cache or not and write a log. Though I've never used the feature my friend who has a Garmin sez it is possible to sync the log you entered into the etrex unit when you hook it up to you computer and surf to the Geocaching.com site Even if this is possible I doubt I would use it because entering text into the Etrex is slow without a keyboard and I tend to be a bit wordy when I enter Logs on the Cache webpage.

In the very early days(sans a GPSr)it was paper printouts and google maps. Then it was printouts, and an eTrex GPS. later on I replaced the printouts with hand written notes to save paper and ink. Now I use my Garmin Dakota 20 for cache details, a hand written list of caches, and a marked street directory.

I think we all cache differently in the end. There are many ways to skin a cat.

I bought a Palm m500 PDA. I load the cache info onto the SD card and use that. (GSAK is great for this.)

Works real well for me.

Older Palms are cheap and can be found at garage sales, crags list, or even E-Bay. Just be sure if you are using windows 7, you get a palm that has the SD card. You cannot hotsync the palm and the computer with windows 7, (nor with Vista I think.)

I also use an older Palm (M515) I bought off E-Bay, and use CacheMate on it. One thing I like about CM is the ability to decode the hint - all at once or a piece at a time.

BTW, if you get a serial cradle (and USB to serial converter) you CAN hotsync the older PDA's on a Win7 system.

I used to use a Palm PDA. I bought cheap used ones on eBay. When I put them in my back pocket and sat on a rock it wasn't such a big disaster to hear that loud CRACK. :)

These days I use a GPSMAP 78S. Full paperless caching. I use GSAK to load the full cache info into the unit. I love it.

In memory -- mine. My GPS gets the name and the hint, but not the description. I generally live without it, if I have read the page before I set out, I can usually remember critical information.

If I am planning an out of town trip, I pick a few target caches and will write down (pencil and paper) a few important notes.

I sometimes/used to use a Palm PDA, but the technology moved on without it and I haven't upgraded to be able to use it anymore, or to replace it with something else.

I use GSAK to generate HTML listings twice a week, then copy them over to an SD card using the card reader on my laptop, then I insert it into my Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC and read them using Pocket Internet Explorer. It's a much simpler system than when I used a Palm, where I had to use a number of different programs to get it onto the PDA, since Palm Pilots don't read HTML by itself.