Looking for a GPS that holds extra cache data

LTSWI

I have the following 3 units:

-- Garmin Nuvi 265WT with the newest Map Update (works great in my car, not very accurate for geocaching, or so it seems. Bulky.)

-- Garmin GPSmap 60C (Handheld, screen is a bit harder to see. Portable)

-- Garmin eTrex (Coming in the mail, bought it for $13. It's the bright yellow one, so I know it's an older model. 12 satellite coverage.)

I'm new to Geocaching, and I find it a bit annoying to have to print out hints and/or cache data AND carry the coordinates in my GPS. I'd like to be as close to paperless as possible. I've been sending cache cordinates to my auto GPS with no issues. It doesn't seem to hold extra cache data well. My 60C can display the first 30 characters only of cache name/data.

I've been browsing online and seeing this Magellan model series with Geocaching built in. I stopped by Best Buy and their demo model seems to have what I'm looking for. It gives me cache names, location data, hints, and full cache descriptions. I don't want to rely on a in store demo though. What I'm wondering is if I can take one of these GPS units listed below and download the name and description of the caches from geocaching.com? If so, how much can I actually download? Can I get the full description from a cache's page including the word jumble and clues? Is it all listed data or only up to a certain character count? Can I mark that I found a cache, then come home and connect it to my computer and upload the data to my geocaching.com account page? If possible, I'd also like to download all caches within a certain number of miles from my home, along with all related cache data, and send it to the GPS. Not sure if these are that advanced yet, but it would be nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at these models thus far:

Magellan eXplorist GC (demo'd in Best Buy)

Magellan eXplorist 110

Magellan eXplorist 310

Garmin eTrex Venture HC

I'd like to keep this at or below $150 if possible. I connect with a late 2011 iMac, but I can run Windows in a virtual machine if needed. It would be nice to find a GPS that does geocaching really well, but also will do things besides, but that's not a top priority. I have the auto GPS for my heavy business needs. If I found a suitable Geocaching gps that also did regular GPS, I might sell some of my older models.

Thanks!

Edited by LTSWI

I have the following 3 units:

-- Garmin Nuvi 265WT with the newest Map Update (works great in my car, not very accurate for geocaching, or so it seems. Bulky.)

-- Garmin GPSmap 60C (Handheld, screen is a bit harder to see. Portable)

-- Garmin eTrex (Coming in the mail, bought it for $13. It's the bright yellow one, so I know it's an older model. 12 satellite coverage.)

I'm new to Geocaching, and I find it a bit annoying to have to print out hints and/or cache data AND carry the coordinates in my GPS. I'd like to be as close to paperless as possible. I've been sending cache cordinates to my auto GPS with no issues. It doesn't seem to hold extra cache data well. My 60C can display the first 30 characters only of cache name/data.

I've been browsing online and seeing this Magellan model series with Geocaching built in. I stopped by Best Buy and their demo model seems to have what I'm looking for. It gives me cache names, location data, hints, and full cache descriptions. I don't want to rely on a in store demo though. What I'm wondering is if I can take one of these GPS units listed below and download the name and description of the caches from geocaching.com? If so, how much can I actually download? Can I get the full description from a cache's page including the word jumble and clues? Is it all listed data or only up to a certain character count? Can I mark that I found a cache, then come home and connect it to my computer and upload the data to my geocaching.com account page? If possible, I'd also like to download all caches within a certain number of miles from my home, along with all related cache data, and send it to the GPS. Not sure if these are that advanced yet, but it would be nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at these models thus far:

Magellan eXplorist GC (demo'd in Best Buy)

Magellan eXplorist 110

Magellan eXplorist 310

Garmin eTrex Venture HC

I'd like to keep this at or below $150 if possible. I connect with a late 2011 iMac, but I can run Windows in a virtual machine if needed. It would be nice to find a GPS that does geocaching really well, but also will do things besides, but that's not a top priority. I have the auto GPS for my heavy business needs. If I found a suitable Geocaching gps that also did regular GPS, I might sell some of my older models.

Thanks!

I purchased the Garmin Etrex 20 from Amazon for just a bit more than your 150 Dollar Limit. I've been very happy with it. You can sync it with the Cache webpage and it downloads a file (GPX IIRC) and has the Description, Hints, Logs and places an Icon on your Etrex Map screen. You click on the Map Icon and it gives you the description, if you wish to make the cache your next destination you click "Go" and it takes you back to the map screen and shows you a line directly from where you are on the map to the cache. If you wish to review the Cache description again you just switch to the Geocache section and it gives you a menu for Description, Logs, Hints etc. You can also enter your log right on the unit and I am told re-sync with the Cache page and it will load your log to the page. (Don't hold me to the re-sync part because I have never done it since entering text on the Etrex is slow without a keyboard so I have no direct knowledge if that feature works)

Edited by Mad Dawgg