NJ Newbie :)

_Pebcak_

Hey everyone!

I'm a newbie and I was looking for someone or someplace that might be willing to help me out and teach me a few tricks. I'm in the SOUTH Jersey area, and it seems most of the NJ events are in Central Jersey. Plz someone adopt me and let me apprentice into this fun hobby :laughing:

Thanks for the site, I did sign up there so I can't wait to see where it goes. And Arcadia, pretend I'm you. What are some things you wish someone told YOU when you were learning? What advice do you have for me? Especially when it comes to walking through woods. I tend to get nervous b/c I don't know where or how to go. I sort of make my own path but even with the app pointing me, I wonder if I'm making an error.

Edited by darth_tyress

Welcome to the game!

Rule #1. Bring a pen.

Rule #2. Bring water.

Rule #3. Don't give up.

Other than that:

Bring handiwipes and bug spray.

If your geo-app has the capability, and you're going to be doing a lot of woodsy walking, consider setting a "return to parking" waypoint.

Thanks for the site, I did sign up there so I can't wait to see where it goes. And Arcadia, pretend I'm you. What are some things you wish someone told YOU when you were learning? What advice do you have for me? Especially when it comes to walking through woods. I tend to get nervous b/c I don't know where or how to go. I sort of make my own path but even with the app pointing me, I wonder if I'm making an error.

my advice when it comes to walking through woods is to stick to the trail when possible. not only will this keep you from getting lost but is usually the path of least resistance. meaning the path is usually easier to take than bushwacking off trail. make sure you have GPS and a map. if that GPS battery dies or something you have to have a backup. a compass and map can save you. and also if you dont know where or how to go DONT GO. do your research on the website first and familiarize yourself with the area.

also make sure someone knows where you are going and what cache your heading for, and make sure you bring more water than you think you'll need. one time i was out for a 2 hour hike that turned into a 5 hour hike in extreme heat with no water when i got lost. learned my lesson. go with someone when you can. another set of eyes makes things easier and safer. also, when looking for a cache, dont just stick your hands in places. specially in the woods that could be very dangerous. snakes and such like to hide under the same rocks that a cache might be. use a walking stick to poke around and bring a flashlight.

point is, be safe. its very easy to get lost or hurt when your doing things in the woods.

1. If you're walking through heavy brush or otherwise difficult terrain, remember that the hider probably didn't go that way. He went the easy way. Look for it.

2. Mark the waypoint of your car.

Use bugspray. Trust me.

make sure you prepare and check for ticks afterwards as well. If you check in Walmart in the camping section they have the 2 types of bug sprays that will help the most. for your skin you want deet at 20% or more and for clothing you want permethrin (only spray on clothing/footwear/camping gear etc) it will last several washes. do not put permethrin on your skin as it will not work as a repellent. as with any chemical if you've never used that product before perform a small test. with the skin spray do a small area first and see if you have a reaction to it. for the clothing I would say spray a wrist band or something small and wear it for awhile and keep track to see if you have any reaction.