Google Earth KML Not Accurate

That's on purpose - something about Groundspeak protecting its data, long story.

Have GSAK export your caches into a .gpx file and load that into Earth. That'll give you non-moving caches.

What?

More info please?

I do not have issues with caches bouncing around between zoom levels.

That's on purpose - something about Groundspeak protecting its data, long story.

Have GSAK export your caches into a .gpx file and load that into Earth. That'll give you non-moving caches.

What?

More info please?

I do not have issues with caches bouncing around between zoom levels.

There's lots of information about using Google Earth on this page. The third paragraph on the page addresses the "Cache bouncing" you see.

--Larry

The quote from the page about GE is

Please Note: The coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. The Geocaching Google Earth feature is a tool for viewing geocaches in a general location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for finding or placing geocaches.

I would read that as the 100' error bring on GE's side not GC. I have seen this argument in the past and tested it by going out and getting coordinates from a few locations and piloting them on GE, some are close and some are pretty far off from where I am standing.

Also how can an erroneous map display be protective when the correct coordinates are freely given out.

I would read that as the 100' error bring on GE's side not GC. I have seen this argument in the past and tested it by going out and getting coordinates from a few locations and piloting them on GE, some are close and some are pretty far off from where I am standing.

Also how can an erroneous map display be protective when the correct coordinates are freely given out.

To be clear on this: the text that Groundspeak is providing is misleading. The inaccuracy is only in the “Geocache Google Earth Viewer” which Groundspeak purposely built so that it would not show the exact location of geocaches. It is not a problem with Google Earth; just with Groundspeak’s viewer. The solution is very simple: don’t use the viewer. Instead:

- If you send a gpx file (PQ results or export from software like GSAK) to Google Earth the position is not obfuscated.

- If you use the Google maps and turn on the satellite images, then you see essentially the same as you would with GE and also not encounter any obfuscation.

As to why: if you see a Google Earth display with items displayed on it, then it is possible to save that display as kml file. This file could then be decoded so that the coordinates could be obtained for a very large number of geocaches and that would circumvent the Pocket Query feature. In other words, non-premium members could then gain a benefit that is reserved for premium members, and the limits on data imposed on all members, including premium members, could be circumvented.

I think some are missing the point of the topic "Why is the KML inaccurate?" The KML is a text file. If the KML was accurate, a program, like GPSBabel, could convert the KML to a free PQ like gpx file. PQ files are not free. The replies that use GSAK or a different viewer use PQs and are paid methods