The Rules of Golf

Allyn56

A long time ago I picked up a hobby where I wanted to get out of the house, get some fresh air, some exercise, socialize with people with common interests, and enjoy places I have never seen before. But then people kept trying to explain the rules to me. Took the fun right out of it!

"Basically there are 34 rules of Golf. However, there are approximately more than 100 sections and subsections. Moreover there are over 2000 explanatory decisions, probably giving golf the most complicated rules of any sport."

I need to find a new hobby. :rolleyes:

A long time ago I picked up a hobby where I wanted to get out of the house, get some fresh air, some exercise, socialize with people with common interests, and enjoy places I have never seen before. But then people kept trying to explain the rules to me. Took the fun right out of it!

Tell me about it! Some people saw that Geocaching has “only two rules”, and decided it gives them license to run roughshod over everyone, that vandalism, stealing, or whatever you feel like doing is acceptable, being somehow outside of the world – that “no rules” means they've removed themselves from the etiquette of a polite society. If you're playing golf, you either follow the structure or you are not playing golf. For some, it's "fun" to hit others with golf clubs or carts or tear up a golf course, only because "those are rules and I hate rules". It makes the people who wanted to golf miserable, one reason there need to be rules.

Somehow they didn't seem to notice that they can get out of the house without playing golf.

Edited by kunarion

I think he's trying to point out Geocachers shouldn't play golf, we have one rule: sign the dadgum log and a good chunk of us can't event follow that rule.

We are however great at making up excuses as to why we couldn't follow the rule so I'm sure the golf officials would just love s.

Edited by Roman!

I think he's trying to point out Geocachers shouldn't play golf, we have one rule: sign the dadgum log and a good chunk of us can't event follow that rule.

We are however great at asking up excuses as to why we couldn't follow the rule so I'm sure the golf officials old just love s.

That would be true if only there was a rule to sign the log. :ph34r:

There are official rules of golf. But when a group of golfers go play a friendly weekend game they don't necessarily follow all the rules. They may even have some rules of their own. "Do overs" and "mulligans" are against the "rules" of golf but are quite common for a friendly game. People carry extra clubs, move balls out of hazards without taking a penalty, etc. Some don't even keep score.

There may be a few rules that golf course owners enforce even on the most informal play. They want to protect the integrity of the course and avoid interfering with other golfers.

When it comes to geocaching, it seems we have some players who would like to make this into the PGA (Professional Geocachers Association) tour.

Fortunately, outside of the forums, they are few. For most people, geocaching is a fun light game. There is no "score". While some will keep track of how many caches they have found, most people realize that this number doesn't mean much (like the golf score of a player who is taking mulligans, or comparing the scores of two different players on two different courses).

Like the golf course owner, the cache owner is permitted some enforcement of the online logging. Assuming a player posts a find online, the owner may delete the log if the physical cache log is not signed. The more general guideline is to delete logs which are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. Groundspeak has decided that online logs are meant to be used to share geocaching experience with other cachers and has asked cache owners to police these logs for inappropriate use. The rationale may be that abuse of the online log interferes with others playing of the game. It's mainly up to the individual cache owners to decide when an online log is interfering with other players. But my interpretation of the little guidance that has been given is to allow more leeway in accepting find logs rather than trying to enforce rigorous rules.

Actually I meant it On Topic in that sometimes we feel rules should always be followed no matter what even with how specific they are. Like playing golf with mulligans, kicks, etc. it is still golf just not strictly by the rules golf. If you are not in a tournament who cares if you are out having fun. Just remember you didn't follow all the rules.

For geocaching I believe there are specific rules we should all follow like sign or stamp the log after you found the cache. But who is to say if you replace a known muggled cache that is wrong or just helping the cache owner. I usually post or email so the CO can say I got the wrong one if I did. How about the long hike to the cache where you forgot to bring something to sign the log and used blood to mark the log? I actually had a friend do that and I got a good laugh from it. Should only the CO replace the log or can others help out.

I think geocaching would lose some fun if we had Marshall's standing over a cache in the field giving a ruling like you see in golf.

As for golfing and caching that sounds fun. As long as I wasn't holding up the course then I would log.

IBTL. OR before thread moved to OT

By using the rules of golf as an analogy, the OP sets up an interesting framework for a discussion of geocaching's rules and guidelines. So long as the topic sticks to that, the thread is just fine as-is. The Off Topic forum would be the right place to discuss your golf game, compare handicaps, or speculate on who will win the British Open.

Coincidentally, my player account owns a mystery cache that uses frisbee golf hole locations as a basis for triangulating the cache location. Today is the cache's 10th birthday!

It's difficult to make an equivalent comparison of the two activities because of some the fundamental differences. To make golfing equivalent to geocaching each hole would have to be owned and maintained by individuals. The golf club would just be place that you would go to get a listing of the available holes.

It's difficult to make an equivalent comparison of the two activities because of some the fundamental differences. To make golfing equivalent to geocaching each hole would have to be owned and maintained by individuals. The golf club would just be place that you would go to get a listing of the available holes.

Well the holes could be owned by the same owner and then you could call it power golfing and the players would be responsible for the maintenance of the holes. This then would bring up the question of do you drop another ball in the hole and move the one in the hole forward and is this legitimate golfing. But then you would need two or three threads discussing if this was real golfing, and are the players of these holes real golfers and would this be the downfall of golfing.

Bad analogy, golf IS a competition.

Depends on how well you can play - mostly it's a "competition" with yourself to see if you get better. Occasionally, there are tournements that are competitive.

Odd, how you never hear about people trying to be the first to get a hole-in-one on new golf courses...

IBTL. OR before thread moved to OT

By using the rules of golf as an analogy, the OP sets up an interesting framework for a discussion of geocaching's rules and guidelines. So long as the topic sticks to that, the thread is just fine as-is. The Off Topic forum would be the right place to discuss your golf game, compare handicaps, or speculate on who will win the British Open.

Coincidentally, my player account owns a mystery cache that uses frisbee golf hole locations as a basis for triangulating the cache location. Today is the cache's 10th birthday!

I also own a cache next to a frisbee golf course but it's a traditional. Unless someone plays disc golf they probably wouldn't know of the existence of the course and unless someone geocaches they probably would never discover the pretty little glen where about have of the finders have mentioned seeing deer.

Sorry, this post doesn't mention anything about golf or geocache rules but it's certainly about geocaching.

Depends on how well you can play - mostly it's a "competition" with yourself to see if you get better. Occasionally, there are tournements that are competitive.

Odd, how you never hear about people trying to be the first to get a hole-in-one on new golf courses...

There are two sides to golf. The professional side where the official rules apply, golfers can even be fined for violating some of these rules. Then the Amateur side where you're not being watched, you're not going to be fined for a rule violation, and you can play with "house rules". Geocaching doesn't have a professional side. No one has been fined for violating geocaching rules and many geocachers play by "house rules".

There are two sides to golf. The professional side where the official rules apply, golfers can even be fined for violating some of these rules. Then the Amateur side where you're not being watched, you're not going to be fined for a rule violation, and you can play with "house rules". Geocaching doesn't have a professional side. No one has been fined for violating geocaching rules and many geocachers play by "house rules".

When we were kids we used to spend a lot of sleepovers playing Monopoly. We started the game by placing a $500 bill on the middle of the board. All fines from jail or from cards or from landing on Luxury Tax, went into the pot. If a player landed on "Free Parking", he won the pot and it was restarted with a fresh $500 from the bank. Over the years I have found people that played Monopoly the exact same way. I have also found others that had never heard of such a rule.

Here's what the rule book says about Free Parking.

A player landing on this place does not receive any money, property or reward of any kind.

This is just a "free" resting-place.

Glenn is correct, House Rules apply. There are many variations of playing this game, many of them regional. What we do here in the west may seem silly to someone in the east and visa-versa. I developed my Geocaching Principals from watching those around me when I first started playing. Most of them have not changed over the years. I do think that a lot of bad habits have infiltrated the game and new players pick them up and think that they are acceptable.

Groundspeak doesn't impose monetary fines, but they do penalize people for violating guidelines. For example, a cache placed on private property without permission might not be published or might be archived if reported.

While some golfers might play by "house rules," at some point what they are doing isn't considered to be golf. If they simply drive around in golf carts from hole to hole and drop their balls into the holes, I don't think many people would call that "golf." By analogy, most people don't consider armchair logging to be "geocaching."

Edited by CanadianRockies

Groundspeak doesn't impose monetary fines, but they do penalize people for violating guidelines. For example, a cache placed on private property without permission might not be published or might be archived if reported.

Cache placement would be equivalent to hole placement which is done by a golf club and not the golfer. Geocaching has very little guidelines covering how someone is to go about finding a geocache.

Golf is a competitive sport. If you're a competitor in that sport, the calarity of a large list of specific rules is very important. I'm unaware of any geocaching rules at this level.

Golf is a game. If you play the game, whether against others or just yourself, you and the people you're playing with can adjust the rules however you want. Some people see some geocaching rules at this level, and I think this is where the major disagreements are.

Golf is for fun. If you're playing for fun, you can enjoy the game however you want. I think most geocachers see themselves at this level, although various artificial competitions in the geocaching world raise some cases to the level of a game.

The owner of the golf course can make rules for whatever reason that you are required to follow to use their course, rules that protect the integrity of the course and limit one golfer's impact on another, for example. I'm reasonably satisfied, personally, that the geocaching.com rules are primarily along these lines. (Just keep in mind that an unmaintained cache is analogous to a divot, not to a missing hole.)

When I play golf I usually play by normal house rules and will tend to stick to the basic rules and not worry too much about the more specific rules. If my ball moves while I am trying to move some debris, so what, unless I am in a tournament which now make this hobby a competition. So golf for me is played by a certain set of basic rules and the rest I am out to just have fun.

Geocaching is kind of the same thing. I follow the basic rules but don't worry about some of the more specifics. I read some of the threads here about log rolling, throwdowns, proper placement, what kind of caches are okay and which ones are a waste of time and effort, etc. and wonder if maybe some of us put too much effort into this hobby that ultimately takes away some fun. Now I am against arm chair caching, you need to go find the dang thing and sign or stamp the log. But if I want to log roll on a power trail that a CO says is okay, so what. If I replace a cache trying to help another cacher then what is the harm? Do we make the CO come out and replace their cache exactly the way it is?

My brother who introduced me to geocaching and we have played a bit of golf together. We find the two similar in how you choose to play the game. Play by some basic house rules and who cares how somebody else plays, that's their choice.

It would be interesting if their was a tournament of sorts where you had to play by specific rules. And we could have marshal's out their with rule books giving judgment on how a cache lies. Two find penalty for not placing the cache back exactly as it was found. Stroke and distance for the same? :)

Golf is a competitive sport. If you're a competitor in that sport, the calarity of a large list of specific rules is very important. I'm unaware of any geocaching rules at this level.

Golf is a game. If you play the game, whether against others or just yourself, you and the people you're playing with can adjust the rules however you want. Some people see some geocaching rules at this level, and I think this is where the major disagreements are.

Golf is for fun. If you're playing for fun, you can enjoy the game however you want. I think most geocachers see themselves at this level, although various artificial competitions in the geocaching world raise some cases to the level of a game.

The owner of the golf course can make rules for whatever reason that you are required to follow to use their course, rules that protect the integrity of the course and limit one golfer's impact on another, for example. I'm reasonably satisfied, personally, that the geocaching.com rules are primarily along these lines. (Just keep in mind that an unmaintained cache is analogous to a divot, not to a missing hole.)

Well said and nice analogy!

It's not uncommon for golfers to do a little on course wagering, so it is not usually well received if one is caught deviating from the agreed upon format. Even when informal rules such as mulligans and gimmes are the norm, it is considered poor form to push the limits. Taking a gimme on a four foot putt is not going to make you any new friends. No matter how loosely the rules are followed, keeping an accurate scorecard is a basic expectation. When golfers start awarding themselves gimmees just for driving a cart on the fairway and "forgetting" strokes whenever it suites them, then golf and geocaching will have a lot more in common.

Taking a gimme on a four foot putt is not going to make you any new friends.

Absolute nonsense. It will make you friends with anyone else that takes gimmes on four foot putts.

No matter how loosely the rules are followed, keeping an accurate scorecard is a basic expectation.

More nonsense. Some golfers don't keep score at all. Many only keep accurate scores on holes they do well on.

When golfers start awarding themselves gimmees just for driving a cart on the fairway and "forgetting" strokes whenever it suites them, then golf and geocaching will have a lot more in common.

By those standards, golf and geocaching have a lot in common.

Wow, it's as if you've never played golf. You act as if every round of golf is high stakes, while, in fact, many people feel there are no stakes at all beyond the risk of personal frustration, something that's easily reduced by doing exactly what you're claiming no one does.

"Basically there are 34 rules of Golf. However, there are approximately more than 100 sections and subsections. Moreover there are over 2000 explanatory decisions, probably giving golf the most complicated rules of any sport."

I need to find a new hobby. :rolleyes:

There is a book I own called "The New Games Book" its subtitle is "Play Hard. Play Fair. Nobody Hurt." Its a rule I live by whenever I take up a new game or hobby. I engage in activity that gives me and my family pleasure as long as it does not "hurt" us or someone else. I love Geocaching because at its heart it is an embodiment of the "Play-Hard-Play-Fair-Nobody-Hurt" rule. And has things like "take something leave something of equal or higher value" and CITO.

The only rules I see so far that can be considered "complicated" is "Cache Placement" rules and everyone of them I've read seem logical. (Don't place near Railroad Tracks etc.) And what I've read seems that even those "rules" are not set in stone. Because sometimes special circumstances exist that make that rule not a concern in that area. So, so far I don't see "complicated rules" ruining Geocaching. But maybe I am missing something.

Wow, it's as if you've never played golf. You act as if every round of golf is high stakes, while, in fact, many people feel there are no stakes at all beyond the risk of personal frustration, something that's easily reduced by doing exactly what you're claiming no one does.

What's nonsense is twisting "usually not well received" and "considered poor form" into saying I'm claiming no one does something. Apparently you've never played golf with anyone who takes it seriously enough go beyond merely pretending they are playing golf. A foot wedge is a very useful tool for "reducing frustration", but using one is widely considered to be cheating by anyone who has any respect for the game, or themselves.

Only keeping accurate scores on holes one does well on? That's perfect. Why bother keeping an accurate score unless you like it? That sounds exactly like the logging practices of some geocachers.

What's nonsense is twisting "usually not well received" and "considered poor form" into saying I'm claiming no one does something.

OK, that's a fair point. I'm sorry I misrepresented you. What I should have said is that you act like no one accepts such things, when, in fact, many golfers could care less.

Apparently you've never played golf with anyone who takes it seriously enough go beyond merely pretending they are playing golf.

I've never played with someone like that more than once, that's true.

A foot wedge is a very useful tool for "reducing frustration", but using one is widely considered to be cheating by anyone who has any respect for the game, or themselves.

Eh. As I've been saying, that only makes sense if you're concerned about the score. You obviously are. I've never been, and I don't care how the people I play with feel about it, either. I understand some people are more serious, but I'm not sure you understand that some people are less serious. Way less serious.

Only keeping accurate scores on holes one does well on? That's perfect. Why bother keeping an accurate score unless you like it? That sounds exactly like the logging practices of some geocachers.

It's more like not putting in your log how long it took you to find the cache except when you found it right away.

Anyway, I think we can agree that very few people, if any, approach geocaching as seriously as you approach golf. What we seem to disagree about is my claim that many people approach golf as casually as almost everyone approaches geocaching.

If golf and geocaching are synonymous, what does Putt-Putt Golf equal? :rolleyes:

I'd say power trails. Well, power trails are the equivalent of miniature golf. If you take into account the quality of Putt-Putt over typical miniature golf, the equivalent of Putt-Putt is perhaps simple caches placed for an event.

If golf and geocaching are synonymous, what does Putt-Putt Golf equal? :rolleyes:
I'd say power trails. Well, power trails are the equivalent of miniature golf. If you take into account the quality of Putt-Putt over typical miniature golf, the equivalent of Putt-Putt is perhaps simple caches placed for an event.
I think numbers run trails are more like going to the driving range to hit a bucket or two of balls. The goal is to hit as many balls as possible in as little time as possible, and the normal rules of golf don't apply. But the analogy isn't perfect: golfers don't keep score at the driving range, but geocachers on numbers run trails do keep score.

I like the analogy between miniature golf and event caches. Or maybe miniature golf is like the geocaching classes I've taught, where I place a couple dozen containers in a small area, and then have the kids take turns telling me which ones they've spotted.

OK, that's a fair point. I'm sorry I misrepresented you. What I should have said is that you act like no one accepts such things, when, in fact, many golfers could care less.

OK, but at some point the threshold between what they'd like to think they are doing, playing golf, and what they are actually doing, playing make-believe, is crossed. You are correct that many people could care less, but that's a big part of why terms like duffers and hackers are commonly used.

OK, but at some point the threshold between what they'd like to think they are doing, playing golf, and what they are actually doing, playing make-believe, is crossed.

Only from the point of view of someone looking at golf as a sport defined by its rules rather than a fun activity involving clubs, balls, and holes.

The important question is when it makes any difference to you if some other golfer does something you'd consider cheating. The only time I can think of is when you are measuring yourself against their score in some manner, and in those cases I can see you'd have a valid objection. I think this is the same consideration that can focus us on what's really important to make rules about in geocaching.

You are correct that many people could care less, but that's a big part of why terms like duffers and hackers are commonly used.

Really? I always thought those terms applied to someone that plays badly regardless of how closely they follow the rules. Although I suppose "real golfers" would typically prefer duffers and hackers not follow the rules, since they play so much slower when they do.

OK, but at some point the threshold between what they'd like to think they are doing, playing golf, and what they are actually doing, playing make-believe, is crossed.

Only from the point of view of someone looking at golf as a sport defined by its rules rather than a fun activity involving clubs, balls, and holes.

The fun activity involving clubs, balls and holes is fine for little kids. Like geocaching, golf is a really simple game and not all all difficult to play within the rules. But apparently it is more important to a lot of people to manage their frustrations than it is to actually play the game.

The important question is when it makes any difference to you if some other golfer does something you'd consider cheating. The only time I can think of is when you are measuring yourself against their score in some manner, and in those cases I can see you'd have a valid objection. I think this is the same consideration that can focus us on what's really important to make rules about in geocaching.

Because there is money riding on the game? No pun intended, but it is a safe bet that other people's scores do matter. If not, I wonder why golf bothers with scorecards and handicapping?

You are correct that many people could care less, but that's a big part of why terms like duffers and hackers are commonly used.

Really? I always thought those terms applied to someone that plays badly regardless of how closely they follow the rules. Although I suppose "real golfers" would typically prefer duffers and hackers not follow the rules, since they play so much slower when they do.

Duffers are just mediocre golfers, e.g. most golfers. Hackers is more of a derogatory term reserved for people who could care less.

So I wonder how many rules golf started out with way back when? The basic rule I think we all will/would follow in geocaching is:

•  
  • Find the physical cache
  • Sign or stamp the log
  • Log it on GC.com

So what about:

•  
  • You and I find the cache and you sign the log and then out of courtesy sign the log in my name with me standing there. Rule infraction?
  • I find the cache while you walk up and I hand you the cache to sign/stamp. Rule infraction?
  • I find the cache, sign the log and when replacing, hide it better since in my opinion it was not hidden correctly by the last player. Rule infraction?
  • I can't find the cache so call a friend who gives me a hint on where to find and I find based on hint. Rule infraction?
  • We are teamed up on a power trail and buy a stamp for our team that includes four of us GC.com members and stamp that and we all claim? Rule infraction?
  • Our "team" takes turn grabbing the caches on a trail to spell each other (I grab 25, you grab 25, etc.) and the finder stamps the cache and replaces exactly as found and we all claim the find. Rule infraction?

These are just many examples where they could be construed as technical violations but maybe not or maybe we don't care. Same as golf. I am hitting my ball and putting it into the hole or maybe taking the 4 foot gimme and recording the score. Not in a competition. Should I get flamed by fellow golfers for rule infractions?

Just some thoughts on how I think at times golf and geocaching could be the same.

Edited by Allyn56

These are just many examples where they could be construed as technical violations but maybe not or maybe we don't care. Same as golf. I am hitting my ball and putting it into the hole or maybe taking the 4 foot gimme and recording the score. Not in a competition. Should I get flamed by fellow golfers for rule infractions?

Just some thoughts on how I think at times golf and geocaching could be the same.

Everything you describe, with the possible exceptions of PAF and taking turns would probably be acceptable to most people. A gimmee is generally considered to be a "can't miss" putt, but if you are playing in a group where everyone has agreed that anything within a club length, or four feet, or whatever is acceptable, then so be it. Just don't expect that everyone you might play with will always be agreeable to such a loose definition. And if you are marking your card according to what you are happy with rather than your actual score, you could have a credibility problem, especially if you brag about your alleged score in the clubhouse.

:yikes:

Everything you describe, with the possible exceptions of PAF and taking turns would probably be acceptable to most people. A gimmee is generally considered to be a "can't miss" putt, but if you are playing in a group where everyone has agreed that anything within a club length, or four feet, or whatever is acceptable, then so be it. Just don't expect that everyone you might play with will always be agreeable to such a loose definition. And if you are marking your card according to what you are happy with rather than your actual score, you could have a credibility problem, especially if you brag about your alleged score in the clubhouse.

:rolleyes:

Thank you Mr. Hoyle for expounding on the rules and what is acceptable. I care neither for your opinions on golf or on geocaching. If someone is having fun and they are not interfering with the play of others, it's good for me.

Granted if someone insists on viewing the number of online found logs someone has as the "official" score, they are likely to get their knickers in a twist, just as some golfer might be upset if someone posted their scorecard in the clubhouse without counting all those mulligans and gimmes.

In "official" tournaments players sign their score cards to attest that their score is correct per the rules they have agreed to. Outside of tournament play no one cares what someone writes on their scorecard or even if they have a scorecard. Some seem to feel that posting an online log in geocaching is in some way equivalent to signing a scorecard in a golf tournament.

Since there is no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, it seems to me that the online log is not attesting to having followed some particular definition of what constitutes a find. Certainly posting entirely bogus online finds is wrong. Couch potato logging can interfere with others caching experiences. Falsely claiming a cache is there can delay needed maintenance. However, it is up to individual cache owners to decide which logs are bogus. In a fun game where the points don't matter, it seems pretty clear that cache owners can accept a person's word that they found the cache. Some owners are willing to allow a find log online even when the cache wasn't actually found. We might wonder how this can be; but the practices of friendly golfers shows that it's not uncommon to count (or in golf - to not count) near misses. To me the fact that golfers will allow their fellow players mulligans and gimmes without getting their knickers in a twist means that perhaps golf has matured to the point where we can hope geocaching will be one day.

Thank you Mr. Hoyle for expounding on the rules and what is acceptable. I care neither for your opinions on golf or on geocaching. If someone is having fun and they are not interfering with the play of others, it's good for me.

We all know the only thing you really care about is listening to yourself prattle on endlessly about knickers twisting. Unintentional irony seems to be a specialty in these forums. Carry on.

Certainly posting entirely bogus online finds is wrong. Couch potato logging can interfere with others caching experiences. Falsely claiming a cache is there can delay needed maintenance. However, it is up to individual cache owners to decide which logs are bogus.

I'm curious where you, as a cache owner, would draw the line on bogus finds. It sounds like you would accept an armchair find on a virtual cache that is unlikely to ever require maintenance but not on a traditional. But what if the armchair "finder" logged one of your traditionals and pre-dated the find to be a year ago (to avoid any maintenance issues)? Is that acceptable to you?

Certainly posting entirely bogus online finds is wrong. Couch potato logging can interfere with others caching experiences. Falsely claiming a cache is there can delay needed maintenance. However, it is up to individual cache owners to decide which logs are bogus.

I'm curious where you, as a cache owner, would draw the line on bogus finds. It sounds like you would accept an armchair find on a virtual cache that is unlikely to ever require maintenance but not on a traditional. But what if the armchair "finder" logged one of your traditionals and pre-dated the find to be a year ago (to avoid any maintenance issues)? Is that acceptable to you?

Sure. I don't see how this would be different then the kid who got his own account and went back to log all the caches he's found over the years with his parents. I believe there was a recent thread where the cache owner deleted logs because the kid hadn't signed his own name when he found it.

Rather the applying a unnecessary imaginary rule and disappointing some child, as a puritan would have me do, I'm inclined to just leave that log.