Do you have a GPS that doesn't work?

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

If anyone has an old GPS that doesn't work )and even useless for parts) I would be interested in it. My son (age 4) currently has a cardboard unit modeled after my yellow etrex. After succesfully guiding him to 16 finds, it is starting to show some wear and will soon need to be replaced. I thought if I could come up with the shell of and old unit, it might do him until he was ready for his own working model. Of course, I would be willing to pay shipping if you have something you would be willing to part with. icon_wink.gif Just trying to fuel his obsession!

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest Sluggo

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

Just trying to fuel his obsession!

OH MY GOD!!!! First we get the NPS, BLM, F&WS, and the USFS on us for mis-using the land .... and now....and now....gnbrotz is going to get CPS (Child Protective Service) to shift into DEFCON 5. I can see the headlines now "Child taken from parent because father fueled his obsession!" What is this world comming to? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

- Sluggo

Who's woods these are

I think I know.

His house is in the village though.

He will not see me stopping here

To place a box that once held ammo

- Apologies to Robert Frost

quote:

After succesfully guiding him to 16 finds, it is starting to show some wear and will soon need to be replaced.

I want to know why you spent good money on an eTrex when your son is able to do just as well with a cardboard box?!? What's the secret?

Guest joshuabrand

You all should be ashamed of yourselves! This is obviously a father who is simply looking for a gift to give his son. Put yourself in the place of his son. Wouldn't you be thrilled to be upgraded from a cardboard box to even a non-working GPSR? Some of you need to think before you post replies.

Guest gmagers

icon_smile.gif and they actually had fights to see who could follow "dad" around and around the yard icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

"Beacuse I said SO"

[This message has been edited by gmagers (edited 19 October 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by joshuabrand:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves! This is obviously a father who is simply looking for a gift to give his son. Put yourself in the place of his son. Wouldn't you be thrilled to be upgraded from a cardboard box to even a non-working GPSR? Some of you need to think before you post replies.

Whoa dude - chill...

quote:

Some of you need to think before you post replies.

And some need to read carefully before they post.

I can't see any replies to be ashamed of. I see some obvious good-natured kidding between friends, and I see one rather good suggestion. A toy cell phone looks ALOT like a GPSR. Surely close enough for a 4yr olds imagination to fill in the blanks. I plan on saving that idea for when my 1yr old son is ready for "his own GPS".

y joshuabrand:

Some of you need to think before you post replies.

And some need to read carefully before they post.

I can't see any replies to be ashamed of. I see some obvious good-natured kidding between friends, and I see one rather good suggestion. A toy cell phone looks ALOT like a GPSR. Surely close enough for a 4yr olds imagination to fill in the blanks. I plan on saving that idea for when my 1yr old son is ready for "his own GPS".

Guest joshuabrand

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess when people start using obscenities they're not actually serious, now are they? Come on! The cell phone was a good idea, but people could at least be constructive, most of these replies don't even help this guy out at all.

Guest Rootbeer

quote:

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess when people start using obscenities they're not actually serious, now are they?

Obscenities?

Now, I don't know a way to say this that doesn't sound patronizing, so bear with me and understand that I'm being totally sincere in trying to be helpful here.

Is your browser able to show you the smilies, such as this symbol here: icon_smile.gif ? Because a poster's own facial expression and tone of voice doesn't come across the Internet, the poster will often use these symbols to show that their post is intended as a joke, an exaggeration, or is otherwise intended in a good way.

But even if there is no smile symbol, most people generally intend their message to be a friendly, helpful one. (That's what I am intending with this message, for example.)

Looking back at the messages under this topic, I see no sign of malice in any of them. Please read them again, keeping your mind open to see the poster's good intentions, and perhaps you will agree.

Thanks in advance for being understanding.

[This message has been edited by Rootbeer (edited 22 October 2001).]

Guest Rootbeer

na, Arial">quote:

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess when people start using obscenities they're not actually serious, now are they?

Obscenities?

Now, I don't know a way to say this that doesn't sound patronizing, so bear with me and understand that I'm being totally sincere in trying to be helpful here.

Is your browser able to show you the smilies, such as this symbol here: icon_smile.gif ? Because a poster's own facial expression and tone of voice doesn't come across the Internet, the poster will often use these symbols to show that their post is intended as a joke, an exaggeration, or is otherwise intended in a good way.

But even if there is no smile symbol, most people generally intend their message to be a friendly, helpful one. (That's what I am intending with this message, for example.)

Looking back at the messages under this topic, I see no sign of malice in any of them. Please read them again, keeping your mind open to see the poster's good intentions, and perhaps you will agree.

Thanks in advance for being understanding.

[This message has been edited by Rootbeer (edited 22 October 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

You could probably contact Garmin and ask them about possibly getting an Etrex case without the electonics inside. They probably have defective units and such that can't be repaired that they would love to get rid of and manufacturers always have extre cases and such lying around. It wouldn't hurt at least. Just an idea. icon_smile.gif

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 22 October 2001).]

I just want to make a comment and observation that if you are new to the forums, you should take some time to get to know the regulars. Sluggo is a dedicated cacher who has posted many caring comments. If gnbrotz was offended, I am sure he would have replied. And since he has made almost 60 posts to the forums he is probably familiar with what a good natured comment is.

Now, if you want to experience some real verbal ping-pong, Hang around the forums here when we hook a troll !!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest scruffy

quote:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves! .

Where is your suggestion Mr. No Humour? All you've done is start a low grade flame fest that has done nothing at all for the person posing the question.

I think the cell phone compass idea is great and might do the same for my kids. One of those large map type compasses might even work. Kids imagination are a great thing.

"Think before you reply", how 'bout follwing your own advice.

Guest logscaler

joshuabrand : Hey guy, whats the problem. These people where just joking with him. chill out and get with the program. The good ideas all come out in the end. Also, sit back and read some of the other postings by theses same people. Their sense of humor may not be yours but the rest of us understood what they where getting at. Besides, where are the so called Obscenities at ? And after that being said ; gnbrotz, if you have the time or option, try hitting some of the pawn shops in your area - if you have any - and see what they might have of use to you. TTFN, logscaler

Guest sdstack

I just checked ebay for you. No broke GPS's for sale. Keep checking. Also... Some of the discount chains have "non working" models on display due to the high rate of theft. Maybe you could steal one!!! icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, really, maybe Garmin would sell you a non working model for a few bucks. Or maybe give you one they have discontinued.

Guest dave351

quote:

If anyone has an old GPS that doesn't work )and even useless for parts) I would be interested in it. My son (age 4) currently has a cardboard unit modeled after my yellow etrex. After succesfully guiding him to 16 finds, it is starting to show some wear and will soon need to be replaced. I thought if I could come up with the shell of and old unit, it might do him until he was ready for his own working model. Of course, I would be willing to pay shipping if you have something you would be willing to part with. icon_wink.gif Just trying to fuel his obsession!

I am a model maker. I currently have a mag. 330, and a gar. 48. Which one would you like you son to have a model of? The unit will be made of ABS, so it is paintable, I can put a small compass onto the front of the surface where the display would be. Let me know what your sons favorite color is, and I will paint it that color.

Dave Mitchell.

go here to see some of my stuff

http://dave351w.tripod.com/daveslife/id17.html

email me directly to let me know where to mail the unit.

Guest dave351

ds, it is starting to show some wear and will soon need to be replaced. I thought if I could come up with the shell of and old unit, it might do him until he was ready for his own working model. Of course, I would be willing to pay shipping if you have something you would be willing to part with. icon_wink.gif Just trying to fuel his obsession!

I am a model maker. I currently have a mag. 330, and a gar. 48. Which one would you like you son to have a model of? The unit will be made of ABS, so it is paintable, I can put a small compass onto the front of the surface where the display would be. Let me know what your sons favorite color is, and I will paint it that color.

Dave Mitchell.

go here to see some of my stuff

http://dave351w.tripod.com/daveslife/id17.html

email me directly to let me know where to mail the unit.

>

Dave's a legend. He has been chatting with me about making a "micro cache box". Check out some of his stuff. The man's a genius!

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

quote:
Originally posted by dave351:

I am a model maker.

Dave's a legend. He has been chatting with me about making a "micro cache box". Check out some of his stuff. The man's a genius!

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Guest dave351

Just checked back to see if there was a reply...

Kinda embarrassing, but thanks.

But ya know I do this sort of thing for a living ... all gnbrotz has to do is when someone need something, do it without asking why. Especially if he has some skill someone else does not have.

OK??

Dave

[This message has been edited by dave351 (edited 06 November 2001).]

Guest schiesz

I just checked out the fake eTrex and All I can say is WOW! It does the heart good to see people helping others like this, and helps to show others just exactly what type of people participate in geocaching.

Great job Dave!

Maybe I can get dibs on that faux-trex when Noah is ready for a real one...I have a daughter that will be just about right for it at that time. I may even have a real eTrex to trade for it by then.

schiesz

Guest geospotter

Gizmo Dave,

Many years ago someone like you did something similar for me. It changed my life forever. Because of their kindness I am always looking for ways to "pay it forward".

Your kind gesture has changed Noah's life and touched many hearts here. I applaud you. If you ever need anything just ask.

Dave what a nice thing you did... and great handywork there. I had a similarly generous experience from another geocacher. I posed a question for what gear to get for a budding rockhound. A fellow cacher responded and proceeded to send my son a wonderful collection of rocks and minerals all labled, a field guide and a wonderfully encouraging letter for my son welcoming him to the facination with rocks. It meant alot to my son and myself, and my son's hobby has grown. Truly some good, genuine people drawn to this game of ours icon_smile.gif

Tina

Guest gnbrotz

Dave:

I apologize for the delay in posting back here. Let me say again how much my family appreciates the time and effort you put into this project. I don't have all the finishing touches done yet, but I will post with pics when it is done.

Everyone else:

I'm not sure what my area of expertise would be. I know a little about basic web design. I guess my strongest trait as it relates to caching is land navigation, specifically using the UTM coordinate system. If you think I can be of any help, please contact me; and, if you're ever near south-central PA, let me know and maybe we can hook up!

schiesz:

I'd prefer an etrex venture icon_wink.gif

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Guest gnbrotz

when it is done.

Everyone else:

I'm not sure what my area of expertise would be. I know a little about basic web design. I guess my strongest trait as it relates to caching is land navigation, specifically using the UTM coordinate system. If you think I can be of any help, please contact me; and, if you're ever near south-central PA, let me know and maybe we can hook up!

schiesz:

I'd prefer an etrex venture icon_wink.gif

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

WOW! That was a wonderful thing you did Dave! And hey, I like that GPS better than mine! No distracting antenna sticking out, really easy to use graphic interface, and I like the way the back is designed to hold on to. Plus I bet it holds a bunch of spare batteries! Sincerely, everyone have a safe & Happy Holiday!

Guest gizmo dave

quote:

I would like to see cache containers that can be made to look like a gps also.

[/b]

I'll work on that. Good Idea. It would have to be a pretty small items in the microcache, maybe the "screen" could be the door... It would be much more difficult to make a clamshelled hinges unit, but anything is possible.