Hint or no hint?

Roman!

Q1: Do you read the hint and if so when?

Before getting to GZ?

After a few minutes if you haven't found it?

After a 15-30 minutes if you haven't found it?

After a 30 minutes+ if you haven't found it?

Never?

Q2: Do you read the description and if so when?

Before getting to GZ?

Never?

Q3: Do you read the past logs and if so when?

Before getting to GZ?

Never?

ME:

Q1: Before getting to GZ?

Q2: After a 15-30 minutes if I haven't found it?

Q3: Before getting to GZ?

Q1: I usually will resort to the hint after a few minutes

Q2: I normally read the cache description before getting to GZ

Q3: More and more lately I check the recent logs before even setting out for a particular cache....not for help with the find but to see if there are a string of DNF's or NM logs, which usually indicate a missing cache. I will either skip those entirely, or at least not waste a lot of time searching.

Usually before getting to GZ, but sometimes after a few minutes of searching.

Usually before getting to GZ

Usually before getting to GZ

I especially do this when I'm going to search for caches in nature.

The description and logs can tell me lots about what challenges to expect on my way to the cache.

I like a good clear hint because I practice "Leave nothing but a footprint..." .

(I don't like finding a geocachers "I don't care at all search area" near a cache location.)

1. After the search becomes more of a chore than fun. Depending on conditions, my goals for the day and my mood that can start at about 15-30 minutes into the hunt.

2. If I can't find the cache after about 5 minutes I'll look at the description.

3. I'll only read the logs at the cache site if I don't find the cache after 1 and 2. Other than that I don't read them until I get home and log my find online.

Q1: If the cache is in a busy location, then I read the hint immediately to minimize the attention I draw to the cache. Otherwise, I read the hint when it is no longer fun searching without the hint (anywhere from a few minutes to 15-30 minutes).

Q2: I usually read the description before searching for the cache.

Q3: If the cache is in a busy location and the hint is unhelpful, then I'll read the past logs immediately to minimize the attention I draw to the cache. Otherwise, I read the past logs when it is no longer fun searching with just the hint (anywhere from a few minutes to 15-30 minutes).

Depends on the cache. If it is a super tricky one or in a very public spot I will use all resources available. If it is an ordinary cache I will challenge myself to find it without help. If I have a time constraint, hints get read early.

I always give a cache description a once over. Some require that you understand a certain detail, like a mystery cache. Those are read thoroughly before arriving at GZ. If it is a fairly straightforward cache I usually resort to it after having some trouble finding it . After when I am logging it I usually will read it through.

See answer to Q1.

But that is just me.

Q1: Before getting to GZ?

Q2: Before getting to GZ?

Q3: After a 15-30 minutes if I haven't found it?

However, if its a 4 stars or more T cache, I will be reading everything before I decide to do the cache. What I look for in logs is info that I need to know before doing it. Info of how to get there, parking info and etc. Sometime cache page dont have enough info. I hate surprises that might put my life in risk. I am a risk taker, but I dont like surprises.

Our process is:

1. Read the description so we can (hopefully) get an idea of what we are looking for.

2. Start search.

3. If not found, read past logs for clues.

4. Search more.

5. If not found, read hint.

6. (Hopefully) smack forehead, reach down, pick up cache.

The only time I like to read a hint in advance is if the area has muggle issues or it is pouring rain. :D

Q1: Before getting to GZ. This is usually the case for me, especially if a tough one or in an urban area.

Q2: Before getting to GZ. I load specific caches as opposed to pocket queries so more often than not, I will read the cache before going out. I may not read it thoroughly on an easy cache and then will check it out more if I can't find it after 5-10 minutes.

Q3: After a 15-30 minutes if you haven't found it. Usually here. However, if I really really want to find a certain old or tough cache, I will have looked at them beforehand to some level. An average cache I won't read the logs in advance. The more remote the cache, the more research I will do and the past logs are part of that.

I usually read enough of the description to know what I'm looking for, a bison tube, camo'd nano or ammo can. I just skim through the rest before I go out. If I can't find it, or have no idea where it is after a couple minutes I'll read thoroughly through EVERYTHING on the cache page, including hints and 10-20 logs.

If it's a high muggle area I'll often read before I get there in order to avoid looking suspicious.

If I'm on a mission and need to get somewhere quick then I'll often read the hint before arrival.

If I get to the GZ and it looks like a sensitive area (lots of flowers etc), then I will read the hint to avoid trampling the area in a search.

Otherwise I'll look at the hint after 5-10 minutes

See answers to Q1, but if I'm having trouble searching I'll usually read the description and have a look before reverting to the hint.

Only when 1 & 2 above have failed me!

Edited by MartyBartfast

Every cache hunt is different. If I can be seen by non-cachers I'll go to the hint, description or logs sooner than if I can search at will without worrying about drawing attention. It also depends on the time of day. If it's later in the day I'm tired and don't want to stay around searching as much as I would in the beginning of the day. Too many factors to classify A, B or C answers to all caching experiences.

Edited by macatac1961

my kids ask for hints before we goto GZ, since they like the competition in getting to right spot and find it first

I read hints alot, it save my time, and I favorite good usefull hints,

also some times GPS positions are vary unacurate, some CO thinks a GPS position is milimeter accurate day in and day out !

so they make compleetly un-helpfull hints.

the area, location, and what else I see it what makes my day,

the search for the cache is sometimes fun, but I prefer if it dont feel like wasted time in a very bad location..

we only read cache pages if there is a problem finding a cache, or the area feels like more info is needed ahead.

sometimes this is NOT smart since very important access info or even warnings can be put in the cache page text.

other peoples logs dont really spoil or reveal anything, so they often dont help much,

but if I find a friend found it, and I cant, I call him for help to save my day :-)

and if a CO dont answer my cry for help emails, I write to previous finders if I feed a find will make my day more happy,

sometimes we really try HARD !! to find stuff, and if fail, it is nice to know where it really was, just to know what we missed

even if it is in a location where we got no change of comming back to anyway,

one more trick learned is always nice :-)

Since I'm not a very observant person (for details anyway), I read them all before ground zero. If I get really stuck, I pray that someone posted a picture cute_animated.gif Hopefully, I'll get used to the way caches are hidden, & will become more experienced thus not needing to depend on the hint or pics.

Before getting to GZ?

Before getting to GZ?

I find it essential to read the description and logs ahead of time, like before I even drive there. Otherwsie I could be wasting my time looking for a missing cache.

As for the hint, sometimes I like to try without it. Sometimes I"m not in the mood or in a rush (which happens alot!) I just look at the hint on the way to GZ.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

In a high-muggle area, before I get to GZ.

Out in the boonies, after I've searched a while and am tired of hunting it, usually within 15-30 min.

Usually long before getting to GZ. I don't typically try for a cache unless I've read the description and checked at least the past few logs. I prefer caches out in the boonies with a hike, and I want to make sure I'll be physically capable of getting to it, and I like to know when it was last found (those caches that haven't been found for years and years are tough little turkeys, lots of debris on top).

Out in the boonies, after I've searched a while and am tired of hunting it, usually within 15-30 min.

Usually long before getting to GZ. I don't typically try for a cache unless I've read the description and checked at least the past few logs. I prefer caches out in the boonies with a hike, and I want to make sure I'll be physically capable of getting to it, and I like to know when it was last found (those caches that haven't been found for years and years are tough little turkeys, lots of debris on top).

hehe, I saw where you been a few days back. Yep, I wanna do that cache someday.

Back in the good ol' days, I'd have the cache page printed out with the encrypted hint on it. If I got stumped after a while, I'd decrypt the hint in the field. I got so good at it that I could decrypt it immediately without the key. It was a matter of pride for us back then to not look at the hint until absolutely necessary!

Now, I look at everything before going to the cache location. Who cares? I just want to find the cache as quickly as possible. :anibad::rolleyes:

I do the research and learn as much about the cache as I can before heading out so I don't have to go back.

I pre-load the GPS and also take a printout with me for reference, sometimes it's enough, sometimes not.

There have been times I have gone back to look 10 or 15 times before finding it, it's all part of the challenge.

I generally do not ask the CO for hints, the one time I did resulted in a "DUH" moment.

Answer to all; before I head out to GZ.

I read the hint before getting to the GZ. I still need all the help I can get. But, sometimes I think the hint just ends up pointing me in the wrong direction.

Yes, I read the description before I get there too. Usually descriptions aren't very helpful, though. They might just talk about the site and why it's meaningful to the owner, which may be interesting, but it doesn't really get you to the cache any faster.

I read the last logs before getting there because I want to know if the cache has been found recently. But, I don't usually read all of them unless I have been unsuccessful.

hehe, I saw where you been a few days back. Yep, I wanna do that cache someday.

If you find the one I DNFd last weekend that hasn't been found since 06, I'm gonna be jealous! Just sayin! :D:P

I read the hint before getting to the GZ. I still need all the help I can get. But, sometimes I think the hint just ends up pointing me in the wrong direction.

You know, I find that to be true, too. Sometimes I narrow my search based on what I think the hint means, and later realize that was wrong.

... But, sometimes I think the hint just ends up pointing me in the wrong direction.

You know, I find that to be true, too. Sometimes I narrow my search based on what I think the hint means, and later realize that was wrong.

Like when either the hint or description says "magnetic" and the cache is a magnetic keyholder stuck in a tree or under a rock? :anibad:

If you find the one I DNFd last weekend that hasn't been found since 06, I'm gonna be jealous! Just sayin! :D:P

Oh, that cache and its one of Odder's. I was told to just do the throwdowns on her caches. She said its ok to do so. Shes no longer in the game anymore and alot of her caches are mia.

If you find Holy Hill Batman!! I will get jealous!

Alot of her cache hints are worthless but they make sense ONCE you find the cache! :blink:

Back on topic, hints are good but why some people put hints in that is only understood once you find it and not before?

Edited by SwineFlew

Q1: Yes. I suually read the hint while approaching the cache.

Q2: Read the cache page at the same time. But, I've run into quite a few that are many pages on the paperless Etrex 30. Those bore me very quickly. Only re-read those when I cannot make the find.

Q3: Easier to read the previous logs than the long-winded cache page!

When we get desperate, we'll filter through those long-winded cache pages. "These are the seveneen caches we've hidden in this serie. Read here for a complete history of the administration of Governor Chubby.

When the cache is published or I have an interest in it. This could be a week or more before an attempt. I will read it again on site after a few minutes if I haven't found it.

When the cache is published or I have an interest in it. This could be a week or more before an attempt. I don't have access to these in the field, so if I DNF, I will read it again when I get home to see if I forgot/missed something.

After the find, or the DNF. I like to see what other people said, or look for additional information if I couldn't find it.

I do however note if the last few were founds, or DNF/notes - I do this at the same time that I read the hint in the field.

I usually read the description when I arrive at GZ or on my approach. If the description also includes 'bonus information' (background/history of the area/theme) I may save that part to read at home when I log the cache.

Sometimes I read the hint right after reading the description, especially if the description is very vague or the hide seems very difficulty. If the description makes the hide sound simple (ex: ammo can) and/or GZ does not seem like it will require a long search I will usually not read the hint unless a search comes up empty handed.

I almost never read the logs until my search comes up empty handed. The exception would be if I have reason to doubt the accuracy of the coordinates or the status of the cache. Sometimes I will simply glance at the logs to see if the last couple logs are Finds or not; I wont read them until I have a problem.

Q1: I don't read the hint until we've been searching for a while (10 minutes, maybe 15).

Q2: I always at least skim the descriptions. I use GSAK to select which caches I will load on our GPSr's for the day. I read the descriptions to see if the cache is going to be included. We like caches that have a purpose, the area is cool, it's part of a series, it has a theme.

Q3: Sometimes; I don't really know what leads me to read them or not.

After 30 minutes if I haven't found it.

Before getting to GZ, when I'm being picky about what gets exported to my gpsr and that could be days before I actually go out.

And about 5 minutes before I read the hint.

After 60 minutes if I haven't found it, if I remember to include them in the export.

When I am not paperless caching:

• Q1: Do you read the hint and if so when?
    A1: When I've looked for the cache and I haven't found it. Although, sometimes before. (Hints like suggested parking area, or how to approach GZ are useless and belong in the description.)

• Q2: Do you read the description and if so when?
    A2: On the webpage when I am getting together the list of caches that I want to find. Also, as a refresher, when I am on the way to the cache.

• Q3: Do you read the past logs and if so when?
    A3: On the webpage when I am getting together the list of caches that I want to find. Also, If I am having trouble finding the cache I'll reread the past logs before looking at the hint.

When I am paperless caching:

• Q1: Do you read the hint and if so when?
    A1: When I've looked for the cache and I haven't found it.

• Q2: Do you read the description and if so when?
    A2: When I am on the way to the next cache.

• Q3: Do you read the past logs and if so when?
    A3: Depending on the D/T levels and depth of the description I may read the logs just before starting the hunt but usually I wait until I am having trouble finding the cache before reading the logs.

Mine are pretty similar to Glenn's, so I'm copying and pasting with changes.

A1: When I've looked for the cache and I haven't found it. Sooner, if I'm getting tired or in a hurry.

A2: Always. I try to read it when I'm loading the cache into the GPSr or building the bookmark list for my PQ. But sometimes I don't get to it until I am on the way to the cache.

A3: Yes, if I can't find it and there's either no hint or the hint is useless.

Did polls become allowed here all of a sudden? If not...IBTL

1. Usually when I look at the cache details on the web, before I decide to go for the cache or not

2. I'll skim the description at least. Some have shed loads of info I don't want, but I'll skim for useful info at least

3. The most recent past logs, yes. I might skim through - I'll also check the number of didn't finds and might investigate if they all came in a clump or something. If I can't find a cache I will probably read all the logs back at the computer.

All of this with the caveat that I rarely use any form of GPS so am relying on eyes. My phone is far too dumb to be able to access the interwebz either, so it all has to be done before I leave the house.