Question about distance requirement from someone else's puzzle cache?

Nick - Cacher

If you want to place a cache, is the distance requirement of 0.1 mile from the reference point of someone else's puzzle cache or from where the puzzle container is actually hidden at?

The reason why I ask, I've received permission from the city park superintendent to place caches in city owned parks. So, there's this one park I scoped out. When I did a search for nearby caches, I see that there's a puzzle cache 0.7 miles away, so I'm not sure if that means I'm safe or if it has to be from the actual final hidden coordinates of that other person's puzzle?

I could try solving that cacher's puzzle cache for more assurance, but it's rated a 4 difficulty, and I've never tried with puzzle caches yet. When I looked at that cache's page, they give a link to a page with a picture of a gun, and four then three numbers, so I have no clue how I'd solve this. The name of the puzzle cache sounds like it could possibly be in one of the nearby cemeterys, which if that's the case I'd be safe.

528' distant from any physical stage.

Stages that use pre-existing items, such as a sign or the like, don't apply.

Your reviewer won't tell you where the stages are, but if you provide him/her with your prospective location, they can give you a "yea or nay".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you want to place a cache, is the distance requirement of 0.1 mile from the reference point of someone else's puzzle cache or from where the puzzle container is actually hidden at?

The reason why I ask, I've received permission from the city park superintendent to place caches in city owned parks. So, there's this one park I scoped out. When I did a search for nearby caches, I see that there's a puzzle cache 0.7 miles away, so I'm not sure if that means I'm safe or if it has to be from the actual final hidden coordinates of that other person's puzzle?

I could try solving that cacher's puzzle cache for more assurance, but it's rated a 4 difficulty, and I've never tried with puzzle caches yet. When I looked at that cache's page, they give a link to a page with a picture of a gun, and four then three numbers, so I have no clue how I'd solve this. The name of the puzzle cache sounds like it could possibly be in one of the nearby cemeterys, which if that's the case I'd be safe.

You could try contacting the CO of the puzzle, tell them the coordinates of the spot you want to use, and ask them if you'd be clear of their final. I would sure work with someone who asked this about one of my puzzles.

Quick question on old post. I live near another cache. I wanted to put something in my yard right at the street, unfortunately, the furthest I can get from the other cache and still be in my yard is 490 feet Line of Site. However, in order to get to mine from the other, you'd have to go about 700 feet because you can't walk/drive a more direct route. This is a little more than the minimum requirement for saturation. Are there any exceptions to the saturation rule? Like when placing on your own property? Just think it would be neat to see folks finding it. Should I just submit it and put a note to the reviewer about the extra distance required? Thanks

Are there any exceptions to the saturation rule? Like when placing on your own property? Just think it would be neat to see folks finding it. Should I just submit it and put a note to the reviewer about the extra distance required? Thanks

There are occasionally exceptions, but they're extremely rare and not every reviewer will make exceptions. The exceptions I've heard of have been in the case of the two caches being separated by a large river. You could always submit it and hope, but I'll wager my old Triton 400 on the answer being "no".

Quick question on old post. I live near another cache. I wanted to put something in my yard right at the street, unfortunately, the furthest I can get from the other cache and still be in my yard is 490 feet Line of Site. However, in order to get to mine from the other, you'd have to go about 700 feet because you can't walk/drive a more direct route. This is a little more than the minimum requirement for saturation. Are there any exceptions to the saturation rule? Like when placing on your own property? Just think it would be neat to see folks finding it. Should I just submit it and put a note to the reviewer about the extra distance required? Thanks

Is it the final for the puzzle cache that is 490 feet away or the bogus listed coordinates? The bogus listed coordinates don't count for saturation, only the physical container. You need to solve the puzzle to see what the real coordinates are before you know if your to close or not.

Should I just submit it and put a note to the reviewer about the extra distance required?

I'd do it this way, write up it as a cache - title Testing Coords Please, and the write a Reviewer note briefly explaining that the cache is in your yard and you know it's not quite far enough from the other cache but wanted to know if there was any chance for a cache saturation exception.

I wouldn't bother with this, "have to go about 700 feet because you can't walk/drive a more direct route. This is a little more than the minimum requirement for saturation" - there's absolutely nothing in the guideline about "travel distance". It's just not relevant.

Once you've taken coords for the spot you want to use, you can put them in the Latitude Longitude Search boxes on the Hide and Seek a cache page, and see the precise distance as the reviewer will see it. Once you write up a cache page, the "nearest caches" link on the page will show you the same thing.

I would not expect a cache at under 500 feet from another to be published. It's iffy at 500 - 527. But no harm in trying.

This is a question only the local reviewer can answer, so ask it in the way that will get the local reviewer's attention, with that Test cache page.

Per jholly's post above mine, if the coords for the other cache are bogus, or virtual, you might be fine.

Thanks to all - first, yes it is a real cache (and of course I have logged it). Wasn't optomistic that 'navigation distance' to cache came into play - but didn't hurt to ask. Good suggestions on tagging up with the reviewer. I might check with the neighbor across the street and see if he is willing to let me place it near a big boulder at the edge of his yard. I might be able to make a container that will look like it belongs next to it. It'll give me an excuse to intorduce him to geocaching if he is unfamiliar. I'll keep my eye on the other cache to be sure I am ready if it gets archived. Thanks for the input.

Edited by sansone