Geocaching Power Point Presenation For Scouting Merit Badge

maesoph

Dear All:

I would like to take the local scout troop through the Geocaching merit badge. I would like a basic power point presentation that shows the basics. I can make one myself, but suspect there's something out there already pre-canned that I could use or at least start with. If you know of any basic presentations, please let me know.

Mike

On 5/7/2013 at 12:09 PM, captnkirk17 said:

I have a very good Powerpoint presentation for teaching geocaching merit badge.

It is pretty big, so contact me and I will tell you where you can download it.

I will also be teaching my boys the Geocaching Merit Badge at camp this summer and would love to get a copy of this as well if you're still offering. ;)

Bart

3 hours ago, Barthonis said:

I will also be teaching my boys the Geocaching Merit Badge at camp this summer and would love to get a copy of this as well if you're still offering. ;)

Bart

You replied to a post that is 5 years old, so don't expect a reply from the PP creator. 

Good luck with the MB class. A word from someone who has 'Been there, Done that, Outgrew the t-shirt', please Do Not encourage the boys to place a cache as a part of their work on the Merit Badge. I also hope that you have a cache near the camp. That was one of the things the boys I taught really enjoyed.

Placing a cache is one option - releasing a trackable is another and unless the family of the scout is actively involved in geocaching, this IMO is a much better option.

I am a counselor for the Geocaching merit badge, and I also have a TB in my inventory that is a merit badge release.  I will be taking it cross country to an ammo can placed at a Council office in upstate NY and hopefully it will continue from there.  The responsibility to watch a TB and it's adventures is far less than placing and maintianing a cache.  So, unless the scout or the family is already "into" geocaching, I don't recommend placing a cache, but rather, releasing a TB and watching it for the 3 months.  After that, the TB is in the wild, and there's really no maintenance involved - they can keep watching it or not.

As far as the PPT presentation, try this (not mine, but it works), or just google for merit badge gecaching presentation.

Edited by CAVinoGal
8 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Placing a cache is one option - releasing a trackable is another and unless the family of the scout is actively involved in geocaching, this IMO is a much better option.

I am a counselor for the Geocaching merit badge, and I also have a TB in my inventory that is a merit badge release.  I will be taking it cross country to an ammo can placed at a Council office in upstate NY and hopefully it will continue from there.  The responsibility to watch a TB and it's adventures is far less than placing and maintianing a cache.  So, unless the scout or the family is already "into" geocaching, I don't recommend placing a cache, but rather, releasing a TB and watching it for the 3 months.  After that, the TB is in the wild, and there's really no maintenance involved - they can keep watching it or not.

As far as the PPT presentation, try this (not mine, but it works), or just google for merit badge gecaching presentation.

I had an idea for a Travel Bug last night to do as part of the class session.  Seems great minds think alike on this one. ;)  Yes, we have a couple caches near camp and was going to use those as options for the boys to find.  Again, great idea.  I had started googling for presentations and found a few, but will check this one out as well.  Thanks for the assistance. 

Bart