International Souvenirs

ccurzio

I'm currently in India on a business trip, and during some of my downtime I decided to go on a geocache hunt. I'd managed to locate the cache and I was looking forward to receiving a souvenir for my effort, but there was none to be had.

How do we go about requesting new souvenirs? If we're going to have them for something as basic as each US state, we should at least have them for the country of the cache you've located - including the US for our international friends.

Edited by ccurzio

I was wondering the same thing... was recently on vacation and got a couple international caches.

I didn't THINK there were international souvenirs, but now I know for sure!

Any reason why?

There are souvenirs for the Canadian provinces, all of the German States, and a few other countries (Slovakia, Poland, Czech republic...). The list of countries which have souvenirs may seem odd, but a couple of years ago the old feedback site was used to suggest and vote for country based souvenirs and those are the countries which had to most votes. Then Groundspeak decided to "temporarily" stop the release of new region based souvenirs. The artwork for quite a few other regions (mostly countries, but also some regions within countries such as Australia) but they have not been released. Who know when GS will decide to start releasing them again. I do feel your pain as I've found caches in 14 countries and there's a good possibility I'll add Singapore and Malaysia in September but I have no country based souvenirs to show for it.

I still personally think if they had a real good interactive map, the souvenirs for states, provinces or countries would be superfluous. Wish they would just focus on the megas, flash mobs, and other time or cache specific things they come up with. Just seems redundant to do a country when the map is there. Getting all 51 states (counting DC) and all the provinces really clutters up the page.

I still personally think if they had a real good interactive map, the souvenirs for states, provinces or countries would be superfluous. Wish they would just focus on the megas, flash mobs, and other time or cache specific things they come up with. Just seems redundant to do a country when the map is there. Getting all 51 states (counting DC) and all the provinces really clutters up the page.

I don't even necessarily disagree with this. My point is that if there's going to be souvenirs for something as basic as a US State, then there should at least be country-based souvenirs. If you want to restrict them to more focused souvenirs like time-specific events or flash mobs, that's cool too but then you should probably remove the basic ones.

Consistency. That's all I'm looking for. :)

I would not want 12 souvenirs for a calendar. One complete calendar souvenir would be cool as would a Terr/Diff Fizzy grid, as would a Jasmer (every month of caching since May 2000).

I see nothing wrong with specific souvenirs for places that want them. Have some in Czech republic for their XX celebration within x miles of Prague, or have some souvenir for finding a cache within x metres of the former Berlin Wall, or some celebration of art in Sweden.

I do not think every souvenir needs to be obtainable by everyone, but they should be advertised in case some crazy chaps wants to.

Add my voice to those who want country souvenirs. I got one in England last year and will get another in Mexico later on. It's disappointing not to have a little online marker to log that achievement.

I would also recommend doing the United Kingdom and Ireland by county, if it's not too much trouble.

Edited by Mandy999

I wish there were souvenirs for every city and town! Yeah, I know that would be impossible, but it would be a lot of fun.

I disagree. If souvenirs were awarded for every city and town they wouldn't be very special. I think of geocaching souvenirs like non-geocaching souvenirs one might obtain by visiting some interesting location. My souvenir sweatshirt from the Great Wall of China or the souvenir t-shirt I bought in Tanzania holds more significance to me than the souvenir t-shirt from the state fair in California.

There is a bunch of unpublished images on one of the Groundspeak flickr accounts, and if they choose to roll them out then they'll be backdated if you've logged caches in those countries. I remember there were a set for the UK (split into England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

I'm currently in India on a business trip, and during some of my downtime I decided to go on a geocache hunt. I'd managed to locate the cache and I was looking forward to receiving a souvenir for my effort, but there was none to be had.

How do we go about requesting new souvenirs? If we're going to have them for something as basic as each US state, we should at least have them for the country of the cache you've located - including the US for our international friends.

I went to an event in Italy about 2 months ago and the cacher I met mentioned that at that time souvenirs were offered for the fifty U S States, cachers want Souvenirs outside the USA so I say let them have them

I went to an event in Italy about 2 months ago and the cacher I met mentioned that at that time souvenirs were offered for the fifty U S States, cachers want Souvenirs outside the USA so I say let them have them

If you (or anyone else) thinks that Groundspeak should bring back country based souvenirs, then let them know by adding a comment to the "Bring Back Country Based Souvenirs" thread in the Feature Discussion and Suggestions forum HERE