NGS site broken - no new statistics

holograph

I've been unable to retrieve last month's datasheets from the NGS site, so I have no new statistics to report. The page that used to allow me to retrieve datasheets by load date seems to be no longer working.

Although the NGS has an FTP site that contains downloads, they don't update all the states at the same time, so it has become impossible to get a good snapshot of the activity over all states for a single month.

The page does seem to work here, at least on smaller searches, it is just taking a long time. Did two different searches, in different states, in different tabs for changed datasheets between the 1st and the 15th, and here are the retrieval times:

Database retrieval time = 00:05:28

Database retrieval time = 00:04:59

There was a problem a year or two ago with the retrieval, if the date range include one specific date. For some reason, you could retrieve everything before or after that date, but not that one date. Perhaps the same problem has occurred again. I'll try to retrieve smaller slices and see if that works.

It looks like part of the problem is that a massive number of updates were done on June 27, and that the retrieval page has a maximum limit that is being exceeded. Since there is no way to get just part of a day's updates there is no way to retrieve the updates, short of downloading the complete archive, which has not yet been updated for all states.

Did the issue with the June statistics ever get resolved or are we still waiting for the complete archive update? Thanks again for the great work on the stats. I really enjoy seeing the info every month.

Well, June was a problem, but what I did was download the full archives at the beginning of August and merge it into my database. The full archive included everything through mid July. I didn't have any problem obtaining the updates that had been made in July, so what I have now should be everything.

Edited by holograph

Is the list of initials up to date? Because mine don't show up. I logged one benchmark in June, though I don't know for sure when the datasheet was updated. (I know I checked it after seeing the July Statistics thread and the recovery report is there.)

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=AH7871

The easiest way is to go to the NGS web site's datasheet retrieval by load date, select August 1 through the current date, and see if your recovery shows up. If it does, then it was added sometime after July 31, and will show up in next month's statistics.

Is the list of initials up to date? Because mine don't show up. I logged one benchmark in June, though I don't know for sure when the datasheet was updated. (I know I checked it after seeing the July Statistics thread and the recovery report is there.)

The easiest way is to go to the NGS web site's datasheet retrieval by load date, select August 1 through the current date, and see if your recovery shows up. If it does, then it was added sometime after July 31, and will show up in next month's statistics.

It shows up as being added July 25th.

It shows up as being added July 25th.

I've discovered that a subtle change in the NGS web site response confused the robot that retrieves the monthly updates, and thus some datasheets were not retrieved. I am in the process of re-retrieving the June and July datasheets and will update the statistics and maps when that process is complete.

So far I've found about 90 additional reports that had been missed, yours included. Thanks for noticing and bringing it to my attention.

Still no sign on the data sheet for HR0546 which I recovered June, 30th. Probably reported a couple days after. Is reporting not working through the NGS page?

The reports that you submit to the NGS go through a review process before being published. It is not unusual to take a month or more before they show up. For example, as of August 1, the most recent report that had been published was dated June 24.