What GPS unit should I buy?

gstep

Hello there!

I am potentially interested in starting geocaching, but I am unsure on how to start in regards to buying the right GPS unit. I searched Amazon, but about a bazillion results showed up and I have no idea which unit would be ideal for me to start up. Ideally I would want to spend around $100, but if its a highly rated or terrific device I would go up to around $150 (that is, actual price, not retail price). Thanks a bunch for any advice/direction you can give!

Edited by gstep

You should be looking at about $200 for a decent device. Not saying you can't get one for $100 but if you spend the little bit of extra money you can download directly to the device, you can see the cache description and hints. It's called paperless caching. I suggest the Magellan Explorist GC which is from $150-$200 depending where you get it. Shop around.

Hello there!

Ideally I would want to spend around $100, but if its a highly rated or terrific device I would go up to around $150. Thanks a bunch for any advice/direction you can give!

Best advice? Don't shortchange yourself.

If you go about it cheaply, you are throwing your money away. Mostly because newer/better ones have more features and make the overall experience much more pleasant.

Old or new device, if you aren't familiar with them (and it sounds as though you are not), they make you stumble; fumble; cuss and trip.

Why not do it with one that once you have it learned and are into the groove, make it one that you will be happy with -- not one that you will (very) soon want to upgrade to another.

Not only that, but if it turns out that geocaching is not your cup of tea, a newer/better one is easier to sell off!

Don't even think of going under $200 (retail) -- deals/sales can be found. Line up your model and go after it -- don't go after one solely because of price.

You should be looking at about $200 for a decent device. Not saying you can't get one for $100 but if you spend the little bit of extra money you can download directly to the device, you can see the cache description and hints. It's called paperless caching. I suggest the Magellan Explorist GC which is from $150-$200 depending where you get it. Shop around.

I found this device for around $100 on Amazon, however from reading the reviews it appears its pretty much exclusive to geocaching. Although not required, it would be cool if it had functionality outside of geocaching. Thanks for the advice though. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Hello there!

Ideally I would want to spend around $100, but if its a highly rated or terrific device I would go up to around $150. Thanks a bunch for any advice/direction you can give!

Best advice? Don't shortchange yourself.

If you go about it cheaply, you are throwing your money away. Mostly because newer/better ones have more features and make the overall experience much more pleasant.

Old or new device, if you aren't familiar with them (and it sounds as though you are not), they make you stumble; fumble; cuss and trip.

Why not do it with one that once you have it learned and are into the groove, make it one that you will be happy with -- not one that you will (very) soon want to upgrade to another.

Not only that, but if it turns out that geocaching is not your cup of tea, a newer/better one is easier to sell off!

Don't even think of going under $200 (retail) -- deals/sales can be found. Line up your model and go after it -- don't go after one solely because of price.

I am all about finding the good deals and not paying retail. There seems to be oodles of devices that prices are cut in half or more on amazon (haven't checked ebay, but I would imagine its more of the same). Are there any key features (or specific devices) you would recommend?

I am all about finding the good deals and not paying retail. There seems to be oodles of devices that prices are cut in half or more on amazon (haven't checked ebay, but I would imagine its more of the same). Are there any key features (or specific devices) you would recommend?

Anyway you look at it, making the decision is not simple as they all pretty much do the same thing. Some have features that others do not:

Garmin: eTrex (20 or 30 -- the 10 is purely a basic, no frills unit); Oregon; Dakota; Montana series; GPSMAP62 or 78.

All Garmins have 'base' maps -- primary roads but little else as far as navigation goes. They have excellent maps available and there are free downloads available online.

Delorme: PN-40 or PN-60. Both come with Topo 9, a mapping program that is pretty darn good that goes onto your computer and is transferable (copied) onto the unit. The '40 likes batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The '60 is far easier on batteries, but newer and therefore more expensive.

Magellan: Most all Explorist units; the Explorist GC is specifically designed around geocaching. Users love 'em or hate 'em.

Lowrance: Endura series -- however, I know little about them.

I cannot and will not recommend any other brand.

We use Delorme units (extended family -- 4 units). We have older Garmins as backup, having used them for a good period of time before upgrading to 'paperless' units. We simply chose Delorme -- no specific reason.

All of the above units are considered to be 'paperless' units -- they transfer most all cache information from the computer (along with the last five online logs) and upload field notes to geocaching.com that can be altered into full online logs or just posted as is. Most all hold at least 1,000 geocaches and waypoints, some will hold up to 5,000.

Added letters after the units' name, usually refers to things like built in camera, SAR and outside tracking (live) capabilities, etc., etc. and it does nothing to increase the performance of the unit.

We are new to this hobby like others here. However I have owned several GPS units, three Garmins and a Nokia 500, now built in nav in the car and for handheld we use Nokia smartphones.

We have a N97 and X7. The Nokia X7 is the best gps of them all, including the Garmin Nuvi. Many Nokias come with a real gps receiver built in, and come with free worldwide maps and updates. This feature alone is worth hundreds of dollars, if you own a real gps you know what I mean, those updates you need to buy, and what if you go visit another country, another map, more $.

Nokia owns Navteq, so you get good maps, even before Garmin gets them, some say.

You can navigate straight to the co-ords with the Maps app that come with the phone, no apps to buy, and the maps are onboard, so no data charges. Imagine roaming overseas and navigating with a iPhone, oh no.

So apart from free maps and a good gps, at least as good as a Nuvi, which is already worth hundreds of $, you get mp3 player, good camera, 8 mp, hd video, hdmi output, 4inch amoled gorilla glass screen, swapable micro sd memory, fm transmitter to play your music on any radio, web browser, game player, and then all the usual phone functions. Above is related to theNokia X7.

Anyway, because the world has gone crazy and everybody and his pal all want an iPhone, they want to sell their previous phones, you can buy an X7 or N9 and many other really nice devices on craigslist and ebay etc for very low prices.

Now I am not saying that these smartphones are better gps geocaching devices than those nice $500 Garmins, but for a beginner and $150 or less, the maps alone are worth the $150, and it can do a lot of other stuff. I looked om Amazon at those $150 little Garmin Etrexes, and Magellan little guys, no really 2 inch lcd. For another $20 I bought a Pelican waterproof case for the smartphone.