Ape icon and souvenir.

Roman!

Last year I attended the Ape event and it was a blast except for the fact that the original cache was stolen so no Ape souvenir or icon was to be had. With the Ape event coming up again, I really recommend going, I got to thinking and I'm just throwing it out there:

The ape icon is for finding an ape cache, any ape cache, the last and only now being in Brazil but......

The Ape souvenir was only given for finding Mission 9, a specific location and since that location still exists it would make sense to give the souvenir to those finding Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed.

It would make the event just that much more special; just sayin'

No! It was very unclear when the souvenir was proposed that it would only be for Tunnel of Light. It was for The Ape Cache (ignoring the one in Brasil). This Seattlecentrism upset many cachers (myself included) when the suovernir was awarded, but only to people who found Tunnel of Light. That is not what was promised! Seattlecentrism...

I took a special trip to Maryland to find Crab Creek. I do have the icon, but not the souvenir.

Tunnle of Light was archived, and with it the souvenir and icon. Tunnel of Light Reclaimed is NOT an APE cache. It does not deserve an APE icon or APE souvenir. If I cannot get a souvenir for Crab Creek, you certainly cannot get one for visiting a cache which is NOT an APE cache!

I would imagine it would have to be a new souvenir as the prior one said Project Ape and Hypno's tribute cache is not an ape. Perhaps they will give one for the Mega event itself as we got a souvenir for the Mega in Duncan BC. Could use one more legitimate souvenir for a 25 souvenir challenge after all. I have 25, but one was from that Texas glitch.

Sure.

I found GCAFC Mission 2: Club Suave Project A.P.E. Redux(GC32FJQ), which is a tribute cache placed at the same location as the second APE cache. THE SECOND ONE!!

May I have my icon and souvenir now, please.

No you may not, my point was if the souvenir was for the location and not the fact it was an ape cache as other ape caches never earned it then there is a loophole to still issue the souvenir and with the event coming up it would stimulate some extra interest.

I'm just throwing it out there for TPTB, that's all but they did listen to me when I suggested a leap day souvenir.

Edited by Roman!

I would imagine it would have to be a new souvenir as the prior one said Project Ape and Hypno's tribute cache is not an ape. Perhaps they will give one for the Mega event itself as we got a souvenir for the Mega in Duncan BC. Could use one more legitimate souvenir for a 25 souvenir challenge after all. I have 25, but one was from that Texas glitch.

Yes, this year's Going APE mega-event will get its own souvenir, as all mega-events now do. This was announced months ago and is stated on the event page: "Attend this event, and you'll receive the Mega event icon plus a Souvenir that Groundspeak is creating specifically for this event." We are working on the imagery now.

Totally agree that the APE tribute cache is not an APE cache and should not get the souvenir.

And, as a Seattleite (or at least, a Puget Sounder): I agree with Mr. Dolphin and others who think the APE souvenir should have been given for finds on all the APE caches, retroactively awarded, and the image should not have been Mission 9-centric.

Edited by hydnsek

Yes, this year's Going APE mega-event will get its own souvenir, as all mega-events now do. This was announced months ago and is stated on the event page: "Attend this event, and you'll receive the Mega event icon plus a Souvenir that Groundspeak is creating specifically for this event." We are working on the imagery now.

Totally agree that the APE tribute cache is not an APE cache and should not get the souvenir.

And, as a Seattleite (or at least, a Puget Sounder): I agree with Mr. Dolphin and others who think the APE souvenir should have been given for finds on all the APE caches, retroactively awarded, and the image should not have been Mission 9-centric.

Since it wasn't given to all ape caches I see the souvenir as location specific and although the cache has been stolen the new one should not give the icon, the location is still there as is the experience thus my argument for the souvenir but like I said, just throwing it out there and maybe just grasping at straw because you just never know.

I'm sure I would not be the only one happy if it was reinstated.

Since it wasn't given to all ape caches I see the souvenir as location specific and although the cache has been stolen the new one should not give the icon, the location is still there as is the experience thus my argument for the souvenir but like I said, just throwing it out there and maybe just grasping at straw because you just never know.

I'm sure I would not be the only one happy if it was reinstated.

I haven't checked on the exact number recently but last time I looked at it, of the 11 "special category" souvenirs, 9 of them were only available by visiting locations in the Pacific Northwest. Does that sound equitable to you? I'm sure that a lot of people that happen to live in the Pacific Northwest that would be happy if it was reinstated but even though there are a lot of cachers in that area it's only a small fraction of the number of geocachers in the world.

Did not realize that all Mega events get souvenirs now. That is cool. Course, I have a few megas which were converted afterwards, so I imagine this just applies to caches that were always planned to be megas from the onset.

Thanks for the info Hydnsek.

Cool, will get my true 25th souvenir then next month! Can finally log that one challenge in Seattle then.

And this is my 1000th post, I see I did not get a souvenir for that.

Edited by lamoracke

Given that there is only ONE APE cache left, I think it would be great to have a specific Souvenier for that one. Perhaps a "Last APE standing" or something to that affect.

Even if you live in Brazil, getting to that cache is a bit of a drive. If you fly in from another country, there was even more effort involved.

I know what souveniers are. I can't seem to figure out why anyone cares about them.

we all play differently. You do not like puzzles as much as I do so you probably would not care why someone would get 1000 of them. I personally could not give a rat's patootie for power trails, but others do (sadly). I like souvenirs, but I personally wish there were more opportunities with them besides just states or provinces and the like. Those show up in my map, I do not care for them if its just in that regard. A souvenir for a flash mob souvenir is something unique for that moment. You did both flash mobs recently, I can't figure out why you would care about doing it twice! (sarcasm).

Edited by lamoracke

I know what souveniers are. I can't seem to figure out why anyone cares about them.

we all play differently. You do not like puzzles as much as I do so you probably would not care why someone would get 1000 of them. I personally could not give a rat's patootie for power trails, but others do (sadly). I like souvenirs, but I personally wish there were more opportunities with them besides just states or provinces and the like. Those show up in my map, I do not care for them if its just in that regard. A souvenir for a flash mob souvenir is something unique for that moment. You did both flash mobs recently, I can't figure out why you would care about doing it twice! (sarcasm).

I agree with everything here. Some people want to find as many caches as possible. Some people want to find as many caches as possible before someone else finds it. Some people like long hings or a difficult find or puzzle to solve. Some people like to find caches in as many different states, provinces, or countries and the souvenir is a small token of remembrance for doing so. However, I wish that Groundspeak would rekindle the awarding of region based souvenirs and would like to see othre types but not if most of them are within a stones throw of Seattle. I've seen the artwork for numerous countries and Australian states and it seems to me that there really much, if any development work that would need to be done to start releasing souvenirs for other countries. I've found caches in 13 countries other than the U.S. (and ought to have a good opportunity to add a couple more before the end of the year) but no souvenirs to show for them. I also got the flash mob souvenir and traveled almost 4000 miles to get it (it was just a coincidence that I happened to be in Zurich with a layover long enough to attend the event and find a few caches).

Course, I have a few megas which were converted afterwards, so I imagine this just applies to caches that were always planned to be megas from the onset.

Not necessarily true. Going Coastal in Savannah GA was a regular event when planned last year. It broke the minimum number for MEGA and within a week or two of that being confirmed the event icon was MEGA and we got a souvy (or did we agree on veneers).

I haven't checked on the exact number recently but last time I looked at it, of the 11 "special category" souvenirs, 9 of them were only available by visiting locations in the Pacific Northwest. Does that sound equitable to you? I'm sure that a lot of people that happen to live in the Pacific Northwest that would be happy if it was reinstated but even though there are a lot of cachers in that area it's only a small fraction of the number of geocachers in the world.

That would be a different discussion and even though I live close to the PNW I would agree with you, however all I'm trying to do is give some food for thought to TPTB.

The name of the souvenir is the "Project A.P.E. Cache." That sounds cache specific rather than location specific.

That's where I disagree, the Brazil APE cache does not get you the souvenir meaning either the location is special or the location/cache combo is special. As I do not think it has even been clarified you could make arguments for either, if it's the location of where mission 9 is/was then the souvenir should apply.

There is a way to bring back the souvenir should they choose to, I'm just trying to point it out but I won't hold my breath.

Since it wasn't given to all ape caches I see the souvenir as location specific...

The name of the souvenir is the "Project A.P.E. Cache." That sounds cache specific rather than location specific.

That's where I disagree, the Brazil APE cache does not get you the souvenir meaning either the location is special or the location/cache combo is special. As I do not think it has even been clarified you could make arguments for either, if it's the location of where mission 9 is/was then the souvenir should apply.

The word "cache" in the title indicates it is cache specific rather than location specific. It's not called the "Snoqualmie Tunnel Area" souvenir. While the title is vague about which particular Project A.P.E. cache is associated with the souvenir, in practice it was very clear that it was the Mission 9: Tunnel of Light A.P.E. cache. Nobody was given that souvenir for finding any other A.P.E. cache.

You're trying to find a loophole where none exists.

Since it wasn't given to all ape caches I see the souvenir as location specific...

The word "cache" in the title indicates it is cache specific rather than location specific. It's not called the "Snoqualmie Tunnel Area" souvenir. While the title is vague about which particular Project A.P.E. cache is associated with the souvenir, in practice it was very clear that it was the Mission 9: Tunnel of Light A.P.E. cache. Nobody was given that souvenir for finding any other A.P.E. cache.

You're trying to find a loophole where none exists.

The new cache is Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed.

re·claim (r-klm)tr.v. re·claimed, re·claim·ing, re·claims1. To bring into or return to a suitable condition for use.

I think there may be a loop hole, my goal was to point it out, how it's perceived or what is or is not done is out of my control. I'd love to be able to get the souvenir but if I can't at least I tried.

There is a way to bring back the souvenir should they choose to, I'm just trying to point it out but I won't hold my breath.

This is all conjecture on my part, but when the Ape Cache souvenir was created, Mission 9 and Mission 4 were the last two Ape caches remaining. When Mission 9 was still active, the number of visitors that the Southern Bowl had was miniscule. If cachers wanted the Ape icon, they went to the PNW as it was far easier to travel there than to Brazil. I'm guessing Groundspeak looked at the number of cachers who found Mission 9 versus the handful that found Mission 4 and decided one would get a souvenir while the other didn't really warrant it. So, I don't think it really has anything to do with the location of the cache...more that one cache saw thousands of visitors while the other had barely cracked double digits in finds.

Obviously, the best thing would've been to create a souvenir for finding ANY Ape cache or at least for the last two active Ape caches but hindsight is 20/20. My question is that if they would allocate resources to making a new souvenir, why not make one for Mission 4: The Southern Bowl?

re·claim (r-klm)tr.v. re·claimed, re·claim·ing, re·claims1. To bring into or return to a suitable condition for use.

I think there may be a loop hole, my goal was to point it out, how it's perceived or what is or is not done is out of my control. I'd love to be able to get the souvenir but if I can't at least I tried.

I think you have about as much chance of getting the Ape souvenir applied to the tribute cache as you do of getting the special icon reinstated for it. It's not the Ape cache. If Groundspeak wanted the Ape cache experience to continue, they wouldn't have archived it when the original went missing.

I think you have about as much chance of getting the Ape souvenir applied to the tribute cache as you do of getting the special icon reinstated for it. It's not the Ape cache. If Groundspeak wanted the Ape cache experience to continue, they wouldn't have archived it when the original went missing.

Ah but they did, that's why the new cache still counts for the triad so why not the souvenir, shouldn't it be both or none?

Besides, the event is called going ape.

What I'm saying is really not a far stretch from what's going on already.

Edited by Roman!

This is all conjecture on my part, but when the Ape Cache souvenir was created, Mission 9 and Mission 4 were the last two Ape caches remaining. When Mission 9 was still active, the number of visitors that the Southern Bowl had was miniscule. If cachers wanted the Ape icon, they went to the PNW as it was far easier to travel there than to Brazil. I'm guessing Groundspeak looked at the number of cachers who found Mission 9 versus the handful that found Mission 4 and decided one would get a souvenir while the other didn't really warrant it. So, I don't think it really has anything to do with the location of the cache...more that one cache saw thousands of visitors while the other had barely cracked double digits in finds.

Obviously, the best thing would've been to create a souvenir for finding ANY Ape cache or at least for the last two active Ape caches but hindsight is 20/20. My question is that if they would allocate resources to making a new souvenir, why not make one for Mission 4: The Southern Bowl?

Im not asking for a new souvenir, I'd like to see the original given out.

Edited by Roman!

Ah but they did, that's why the new cache still counts for the triad so why not the souvenir, shouldn't it be both or none?

Besides, the event is called going ape.

What I'm saying is really not a far stretch from what's going on already.

The Ape tribute cache counts for a triad challenge created by a cacher, not by Groundspeak.

We call the event Going APE for sentimental reasons, as stated on the event page and not having solely to do with the Ape cache.

Yes, your suggestion is a far stretch. The souvenir was for the Ape cache; the Ape cache is no longer there. End of story (and souvenir).

I didn't realize that people still looked at their souvenirs tab.

It's right down there with wherigos and challenges in my book.

Souvenirs; right down there with wherigos and challenges. But not as bad as Waymarking.

:laughing: Just kidding. I added two States on a road trip a few weeks ago, and it was interesting to get 2 new souvenirs. And the website awarded them instantly, so that part still works. No, there is no Ape cache, so you don't get an Ape souvenir. Don't be silly. Blame the disgruntled Earthcache guy who stole the last 3. Wait a minute, no he di-in't. :ph34r:

Souvenirs; right down there with wherigos and challenges. But not as bad as Waymarking.

:laughing: Just kidding. I added two States on a road trip a few weeks ago, and it was interesting to get 2 new souvenirs. And the website awarded them instantly, so that part still works. No, there is no Ape cache, so you don't get an Ape souvenir. Don't be silly. Blame the disgruntled Earthcache guy who stole the last 3. Wait a minute, no he di-in't. :ph34r:

I had to try, as for whomever stole the APE cache, I hope he gets the help he needs.

The Souvenir is called Project A.P.E. Cache

The next paragraph is the info (copied and pasted here)on the souvenir. Show me where it says that this is for Mission 9 only.

Additional Information: In 2001, fourteen geocaches were placed in conjunction with 20th Century Fox to support the movie Planet of the Apes. Each cache represented a fictional story in which scientists revealed an Alternative Primate Evolution. These caches were made using specially marked ammo containers. Each cache had an original prop from the movie. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169) is one of two Project A.P.E. caches remaining today. The other is Mission 4: Southern Bowl (GCC67) in Brazil.

It seems to me that this is for finding an A.P.E. cache. Not just the one that used to be up here.

As far as re-instating it for the replacement. No. It is not an A.P.E. cache, and the owner has never tried to pass it off as one.

It would be nice of a Lackey would come in and clear this up once and for all.

I had to try, as for whomever stole the APE cache, I hope he gets the help he needs.

That was a joke. Let me state for the record, I do not believe the "military earthcache guy" stole any of the three remaining APE caches in the USA. I do however, believe all three were purposely stolen by person(s) with a knowledge of Geocaching, and knowledge of their importance to the Geocaching community as a whole. Maryland and Illinois went missing a month apart, then Washington the following year.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

The next paragraph is the info (copied and pasted here)on the souvenir. Show me where it says that this is for Mission 9 only.

Additional Information: In 2001, fourteen geocaches were placed in conjunction with 20th Century Fox to support the movie Planet of the Apes. Each cache represented a fictional story in which scientists revealed an Alternative Primate Evolution. These caches were made using specially marked ammo containers. Each cache had an original prop from the movie. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169) is one of two Project A.P.E. caches remaining today. The other is Mission 4: Southern Bowl (GCC67) in Brazil.

It seems to me that this is for finding an A.P.E. cache. Not just the one that used to be up here.

As far as re-instating it for the replacement. No. It is not an A.P.E. cache, and the owner has never tried to pass it off as one.

That would be nice.

It is a bit of a bummer to go to Brazil, drive 4-5 hours out of Sao Paulo, stay the night at the park, hike into the rainforest to get the cache and then get no souvenier.

TO BE CLEAR THOUGH, I'm glad I had the adventure and I did *NOT* go for the hope of a digital souvenier. The memories I took home were priceless.

That being said, seeing no souvenier for Brazil as a country *AND* no souvenier for the last remaining APE cache (even if it's a different souvenier than Mission 9 awarded) is a little saddening. Out of the 100% enjoyment though, it's a 1% detriment.

But the Brazil cache does not get you the souvenir so the souvenir can not be for finding an APE cache, the info on the souvenir seem to describe the APE caches just like the souvenirs for any State describe the state.

Souvenirs seem to be either event or location specific so the APE event or the location of mission 9 could earn you the souvenir.

All I'm saying is it could be argued either way by TPTB if they chose to they would have grounds to bring back the souvenir and I think that would be cool.

No! It was very unclear when the souvenir was proposed that it would only be for Tunnel of Light. It was for The Ape Cache (ignoring the one in Brasil). This Seattlecentrism upset many cachers (myself included) when the suovernir was awarded, but only to people who found Tunnel of Light. That is not what was promised! Seattlecentrism...

I took a special trip to Maryland to find Crab Creek. I do have the icon, but not the souvenir.

Tunnle of Light was archived, and with it the souvenir and icon. Tunnel of Light Reclaimed is NOT an APE cache. It does not deserve an APE icon or APE souvenir. If I cannot get a souvenir for Crab Creek, you certainly cannot get one for visiting a cache which is NOT an APE cache!

Well of course we have Seattle Centrism. After all, Seattle (Fremont district of Seattle to be precise) IS the center of the universe.

Does the rest of the U.S. not know this?? :unsure:

fremont-center-of-universe1.jpg

seattle-fremont-01.jpg

And no, the icon was for the cache and not the cache location.

The cache is gone.

There was a huge uproar when the cache was stolen and many people asked, pleaded and begged Groundspeak to keep the icon. They decided not to since it was for the cache and the cache is no longer there.

It would be hard to make ground in convincing them at this point. If they were not convinced by all the people asking when it happened, they're not likely to be convinced now.

And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about someone wanting to sell their souvinier and icon.

Now that's a cool idea souvenir auctions for those that never got one originally.

I'll buy a locationless find.

I'll trade 1000 finds for the APE souvenir and another 500 for the icon. I'll throw in another 1000 for any moun10bike geocoin (I'll even make 100 of them FTFs).

And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about someone wanting to sell their souvinier and icon.

Now that's a cool idea souvenir auctions for those that never got one originally.

I'll trade 1000 finds for the APE souvenir and another 500 for the icon. I'll throw in another 1000 for any moun10bike geocoin (I'll even make 100 of them FTFs).

You can have my APE souvenir and the icon for free. I know someone who has a moun10bike coin too that I hope to have in my hand one of these days. :D

Hmm... I've got lots of Locationless (Reverse) Cache finds. I don't have an A.P.E. souvenir (I found the one in Maryland. And I ain't trading the icon! That was a long vacation trip for the cache.) But, hmm... I do have a moun10bike coin!

Hmmm interesting discussion.

Having just returned from the Tunnel of Light, I can attest to the fact that the experience is still amazingand that I am not alone in this. Many geocachers still make a point to walk or bike the tunnel to find the ape cache redux and the really ancient Iron Horse cache as well. I think that this location still inspires awe and is still special to us geocachers and that even though it does not contain the 'sacred' Mission 9 ape cache, it is special enough to warrant some kind of souvenir. What about something that is not ape related at all? How about just a 'Tunnel of Light' souvenir?

BTW as a 'gardengorilla' you can be sure I am already making plans for Brazil....

Hmmm interesting discussion.

Having just returned from the Tunnel of Light, I can attest to the fact that the experience is still amazingand that I am not alone in this. Many geocachers still make a point to walk or bike the tunnel to find the ape cache redux and the really ancient Iron Horse cache as well. I think that this location still inspires awe and is still special to us geocachers and that even though it does not contain the 'sacred' Mission 9 ape cache, it is special enough to warrant some kind of souvenir. What about something that is not ape related at all? How about just a 'Tunnel of Light' souvenir?

BTW as a 'gardengorilla' you can be sure I am already making plans for Brazil....

I agree about the location, we did it with my friend and son at 4 am the day of the APE event last year. It was a truly amazing experience.

I haven't checked on the exact number recently but last time I looked at it, of the 11 "special category" souvenirs, 9 of them were only available by visiting locations in the Pacific Northwest. Does that sound equitable to you?

Equitable? Not really, no. It sounds like souvenirs concentrated on geocaching's center of gravity at first (Dave Ulmer started in northern Oregon, Groundspeak is headquartered in Seattle) and then failed to spread out to the hinterlands before souvenirs started to sputter.

The USA, Canada, and Germany are the only three nations who get souvenirs for each state/territory/province/Bundesland. They have the most cachers and the most caches -- so go figure.

The four national souvenirs that were awarded next were done by vote in an attempt to be a little more equitable, and the four that got the most votes at first were the Czech Republic, Poland, Portugal, and Slovakia. Again, based on the center of gravity, just with a little more democracy thrown in. (Though I would not have expected Poland to get in based on my caching experience there a few years ago, I'm guessing it's doing better now.)

And then they quit doing locality based souvenirs, though I've seen the gallery of souvenir art that's just waiting to be coded into the system.

I haven't checked on the exact number recently but last time I looked at it, of the 11 "special category" souvenirs, 9 of them were only available by visiting locations in the Pacific Northwest. Does that sound equitable to you?

Equitable? Not really, no. It sounds like souvenirs concentrated on geocaching's center of gravity at first (Dave Ulmer started in northern Oregon, Groundspeak is headquartered in Seattle) and then failed to spread out to the hinterlands before souvenirs started to sputter.

The USA, Canada, and Germany are the only three nations who get souvenirs for each state/territory/province/Bundesland. They have the most cachers and the most caches -- so go figure.

The four national souvenirs that were awarded next were done by vote in an attempt to be a little more equitable, and the four that got the most votes at first were the Czech Republic, Poland, Portugal, and Slovakia. Again, based on the center of gravity, just with a little more democracy thrown in. (Though I would not have expected Poland to get in based on my caching experience there a few years ago, I'm guessing it's doing better now.)

And then they quit doing locality based souvenirs, though I've seen the gallery of souvenir art that's just waiting to be coded into the system.

The only reason that souvenirs started to sputter is because GS cut off the fuel supply. I didn't see any indication at the time that geocachers were losing interest in region based souvenirs at the time that GS decided to stop creating new ones.

While, the U.S., Canada, and a few countries in Europe may have a high percentage of geocachers, this *is* an international game that costs the same for anyone to play no matter where they live in the world. Those three areas are the only places in the world where one can obtain a region (and effectively, almost all other) souvenir. That includes five entire continents.

When souvenirs were first launched they were compared to those iron on patch one can purchase at a souvenir shop which visiting some notable location. To me, it's sort of like coin or stamp collecting where the rarest, hardest to obtain have a greater value. Give me a souvenir for finding one of the 113 thousand caches in California and I go "meh". There have probably been millions of finds on those caches. It's like a coin collector getting a 2012 U.S. quarter. However, getting awarded a souvenir for finding a cache in Tanzania (with it's 69 hides, and probably only a few hundred geocachers logging them) and that would be something special.

What can we do as premium members to get the souvenir program back on track?

What *I* did was create a topic in the Feature Discussion and Suggestions forum called "Bring back country based souvenirs" and then continue to engage in discussion on the thread to talk about how GS might got about doing it. I've also tried to ask any questions related to souvenirs and address any concern anyone has with the suggestion. I started the thread in August 2012 and it now has 69 responses with almost all of them in favor of the suggestion. The only real arguments presented against the suggestion was that some would like the option of opting out of the program (something that I support) and that some would prefer that GS spent development efforts on other issues (an issue I believe I adequately addressed in a response). Despite that fact that this feature suggestion has been visible for six months, and has overwhelmingly favorable support I've never seen a response from anyone from Groundspeak that they're considering the suggestion one way or another. I'm not sure what more we can do.

Im pretty bummed about the lack of a souvenir for finding a project ape cache. The souvenir should go to all who logged one no matter which one it is.

Hmmm...Did GS change how the APE souvenir gets awarded? Not sure when it showed up...but I have the APE Souvenir. Dated 2/26/2005. Same date I found Mission 7 in Maryland.

Im pretty bummed about the lack of a souvenir for finding a project ape cache. The souvenir should go to all who logged one no matter which one it is.

Hmmm...Did GS change how the APE souvenir gets awarded? Not sure when it showed up...but I have the APE Souvenir. Dated 2/26/2005. Same date I found Mission 7 in Maryland.

Interesting. When the souvenir was first given out, it was only for "Tunnel of Light". As noted earlier in this thread, I did not have the souvenir in 2012. (I thought the original souvenir had 'Tunnel of Light" on it?) I have no idea when TPTB awarded the souvenir to all finders of any APE cache. But I thank them for making that change!