Waymarking with magellan explorist xl

My main GPSr is the now older Explorist XL. I doubt that I will replace it until it truly falls over dead (nearly happened several times!).

It handles geocache .GPX files relatively well although it truncates hints which can be a problem and can handle a maximum of 200 caches in one folder.

But if I download waymark .GPX files, I find that the screen is blank and allegedly the folder is empty (but a check with notepad shows there is information). It seems that the name of the waymark is not coming through in the same way as a cache. This is a pity because on a recent trip to Vietnam and Cambodia, I could only guess at what might have been waymarked already. Some of my waymark visits will be "grabs" without photos, but - I hope - sufficient log notes to prove I was there.

I have been able to create waymarks by using the "MARK" POI feature and work from there.

Is the problem with downloading .GPX with the slightly different website at Waymarking or is it with the GPSr? Should I invest in an IPad 3 or a Samsung Galaxy tab and have these available as well when Waymarking? My mobile phone is not a "smartphone" either, being a somewhat ancient samsung flip phone.

Any thoughts?