MORC PADDLEWHEELER NAMES

kayakbird

With a self-imposed travel restriction due to the extreme fire danger in most of my Montana old bench mark target area I've had

time to read 'Packets to Paradise, steamboating to Fort Benton 'by John G. Lepley.

available on line: http://www.fortbenton.com/museums/bookpages/lepleypackets.html

Five of the 148 steamships that docked at Cow Island or above from 1860 to 1890 had MORC triangulation stations named after them.

CHIPPEWA 12 MI BELOW FT BENTON 1859, FT BENTON 1860

SPREAD EAGLE FT BENTON 1862

AMELIA POE FT BENTON 1866

GALLATIN FT BENTON 1866

IRON CITY FT BENTON 1866

One of the earliest boats above the Yellowstone River (RM 310 on the 1894 MORC maps, measured along the channel from the Bismark Bridge)

and my first packet name logged, ST ANGE, made it to the Poplar River (RM 407.6) in 1851.

ST ANGE TO POPLAR R. 1851

And my favorite recovery only made it to the Musselshell River in 1867 where it ran aground and was abandoned.

JAMES H TROVER AGROUND AT MUSSELSHELL R. 1867

d8d5a223-933b-4393-be59-4eed9d54304a.jpg

Seven more Tri's are near named rapids and a bunch more at prominent landmarks.

The last commercial steamboat reached Fort Benton in 1890, yet the Corps of Engineers continued to run a snag boat until 1921; and a railroad lift bridge was built about seven miles above the Yellowstone confluence at Snowden in 1913.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowden_Bridge

Great History! kayakbird

Edited by kayakbird

... I've had time to read 'Packets to Paradise, steamboating to Fort Benton 'by John G. Lepley.

Five of the 148 steamships that docked at Cow Island or above from 1860 to 1890 had MORC triangulation stations named after them.

...and my first packet name logged, ST ANGE, made it to the Poplar River (RM 407.6) in 1851.

... the Corps of Engineers continued to run a snag boat until 1921

Great History! kayakbird

That is great history. (I confess, I had to look up the definitions for “packet boat” and “snag boat”).

It is interesting to find out the origin of Tri station names. I have some for which I don’t think I will ever to be able to determine the source of the name.

Sorry about the fire danger worries there. In Oregon we currently have 2 fires in/near Harney county.

One of them is the largest blaze in the country the other is threatening the Historic French Glen Hotel. Not too far from one of your recent benchmark trips. Here is a link -

Oregon Fires

Edited by TillaMurphs

Hi.

Excuse me, but I can't help myself from jumping into this thread.

My one experience with MORC benchmarks was in North Dakota.

NESSON

It was a very easy find. Just drove up to it. None of the drama that you experienced in the Missouri Breaks. It was found during a visit to in-laws, I'm not familiar with the area at all. I have no clue how it got its name. Google Maps shows no landmarks nearby with that name. Possibly a landowner at the time?

One more thing. The Yellowstone River was also used for steamboat travel also. Most notably was the Far West, which brought the news of the Little Big Horn Battle back east, in 1876. The Snowden Lift Bridge you mentioned has a companion on the Yellowstone.

Fairview Bridge

Interestingly, the Fairview Bridge has an accompanying tunnel. A railroad tunnel in North Dakota?

Yes. Like you said, fascinating history!

Thanks for your posts from Montana. It brings back fond memories of time I spent there 30 years ago.

(I remember a chili dinner one night at the Winnifred bar)

(maybe it was hunter's stew)

jb

Edited by JBAndersen

With a self-imposed travel restriction due to the extreme fire danger in most of my Montana old bench mark target area I've had

time to read 'Packets to Paradise, steamboating to Fort Benton 'by John G. Lepley.

available on line: http://www.fortbenton.com/museums/bookpages/lepleypackets.html

CHIPPEWA 12 MI BELOW FT BENTON 1859, FT BENTON 1860

SPREAD EAGLE FT BENTON 1862

AMELIA POE FT BENTON 1866

GALLATIN FT BENTON 1866

IRON CITY FT BENTON 1866

One of the earliest boats above the Yellowstone River (RM 310 on the 1894 MORC maps, measured along the channel from the Bismark Bridge)

and my first packet name logged, ST ANGE, made it to the Poplar River (RM 407.6) in 1851.

ST ANGE TO POPLAR R. 1851

And my favorite recovery only made it to the Musselshell River in 1867 where it ran aground and was abandoned.

JAMES H TROVER AGROUND AT MUSSELSHELL R. 1867

d8d5a223-933b-4393-be59-4eed9d54304a.jpg

Seven more Tri's are near named rapids and a bunch more at prominent landmarks.

The last commercial steamboat reached Fort Benton in 1890, yet the Corps of Engineers continued to run a snag boat until 1921; and a railroad lift bridge was built about seven miles above the Yellowstone confluence at Snowden in 1913.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowden_Bridge

Great History! kayakbird

Thanks for the history Mike! We haven't talked in awhile, have you had a chance to stop at the Headwater's to see if North Base went downstream since last year? I'm sure it did, based on my last view of it and how high the rivers were last spring.

Talk to you sometime soon.

Kurt