Thumbs up/down

team mx

You already have the ability. It's called a log.

+1. And you can already like a cache. It's called a favorite point.

Dislikes, to me anyway, introduce negativity. Negativity is never a good thing. And if there really is something badly wrong with a geocache, you can post a log notifying the owner, a NM or NA, or contact a reviewer. Everything has a semantic value. Keep it as is.

When are we going to get the ability, which we already have for challenges, to give a cache simple this isn't worth the effort or brilliant cache marker?

We probably will not have more than the capabilities needed that we have along these lines already, as jholly and Hurricane Luke mentioned.

This has been suggested quite a few times before and the "like" thing smacks of Facebook, which geocaching is not. If you "like" it, you already have a place to do the "liking".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I certainly hope this never comes into play. All we will get on a log is up or down, bad enough that we just get TFTC or a smiley face, or a blank log. If this feature would comes into play that's all we will get. I wouldn't like that at all. TFTC is bad enough.

If Groundspeak adds negative (thumbs down, unfavorite, whatever) votes, then they should also keep the option of neutral votes, and that should be the default.

And it should be possible to keep your negative votes anonymous (I've seen what happens when they're public). And it should be possible to keep your neutral votes anonymous (so people can't determine your negative votes from your positive and neutral votes).

When are we going to get the ability, which we already have for challenges, to give a cache simple this isn't worth the effort or brilliant cache marker?

We probably will not have more than the capabilities needed that we have along these lines already, as jholly and Hurricane Luke mentioned.

This has been suggested quite a few times before and the "like" thing smacks of Facebook, which geocaching is not. If you "like" it, you already have a place to do the "liking".

Agreed, anything that smacks of Facebook is repellant, so "Not Like"! Or whatever the Down action is .. why can't folks write a single, simple sentence without just pushing an Up/Down switch?

I certainly hope this never comes into play. All we will get on a log is up or down, bad enough that we just get TFTC or a smiley face, or a blank log. If this feature would comes into play that's all we will get. I wouldn't like that at all. TFTC is bad enough.

Same, although the acronyms do reveal who the Tools are .. :)

Seriously, to me the Up/Down, Like/Dislike smells like Junior High, but I am a noob, so what would I know?

A facebook "like" button was added to every cache page a few years ago. The ferocity of the backlash was so extreme that the frog did a backflip and they were removed about a week later.

The power that be have a problem with features that could be percieved as negative and have always refused to implement them. We all know that there are cachers out there who hide caches that s... (well it rhymes with luck). It would be great if we could add to the ignore all list all current and future caches placed by specified cachers and it's often been requested but isn't going to happen.

In the same way it would be great if we could suppress new cache notifications for caches placed by nominated cachers but that won't happen either.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Kryten

It sounds like any change is going to be imperfect and invoke an outcry in the forums :)

I personally like the favorite point approach. It allows for positive/neutral voting, and is limited so you have to decide between caches. It also weights the opinions of avid cachers over those who have only found a few, since you have to earn points by caching.

I do think it would help if people made an attempt to use more of their favorite points. It seems like many of us (myself included) have lots of points sitting unused.

We already have log entries, bookmark lists, watch lists, and favorite points. Do we really need another way to rate a cache?

Personally, I think that anti-favourites could be helpful if eventually a system would be built which comes along with suggestions which caches cacher A might enjoy based on the caches he enjoyed/did not enjoy and the caches enjoyed/not enjoyed by those who enjoyed/did not enjoy the same cache. Using only the positive aspect such systems will not work equally well than if also anti-favourites could be added as this e.g. also allows to expluc

I neither regard favourites to be synonymous with good nor anti-favourites with bad.

This cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bf2cc78c-4273-4007-a577-bc40e24b3392

gets many favourite points and it is certainly well made. Still it is one of the caches that really sucks for people like me and I definitely would award it an anti-favourite point and a system of the type I'd like to see would not suggest me similar caches even though other caches favourited by some of the fans of this cache fit my preferences well.

I'm not interested into rating systems, but into systems that help to make a personal selection.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne