Category Suggestion: Transit Museums

There is a category for railroad museums on Waymarking, but is specifically excludes museums for trolleys, subways etc. I propose a category for Urban Transit Museums. This would include museums that focus on urban transit meaning streetcars, trolleys, trams, subways, metros, urban busses. The vehicles maybe static display or operating. New listings should give admission prices, public rides or static display, what type of vehicles on display and/or operating, and any details about the museum. Logging requirement would be two photos, one with the name of the museum, and another a photo of a vehicle on display or operating, plsu a litle bit about the visit. Some examples of museums would be: New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn, NY; Oregon Electric Railway Museum in Brooks, OR; Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, CA, plus many more!

Any thoughts?

subwaymark

Salem, OR

I think the main problem you will have is the lack of prevalence of this type of museum. Of the examples you noted at least one would fall under railroad museums (Orange Empire Railway Museum). A quick web search did not yield many transit specific museums.

I think the main problem you will have is the lack of prevalence of this type of museum. Of the examples you noted at least one would fall under railroad museums (Orange Empire Railway Museum). A quick web search did not yield many transit specific museums.

Then why would Railroad Museums specifically exclude them? A railway to me is everything on a flanged wheel. Also, what determines "Lack of prevalence".

I have been to many trolley/tram/metro museums that I cannot waymark under the Railroad Museum category because of its restriction. Granted there are trolley museums that do cross over like Orange Empire and Illionis Railway Museum. Although both of those museum the main focus of their collections are really streetcars and interurbans. But I see that that on many Waymarking categoires that one location may have sereral different waymark categories published.

I put a list below of the museums I have been to, or know about, and a few with a quick search under Trolley museum, Tram Museum, Metro/Subway museum. I know there are more if I spent more time. None of the ones listed below would qualify for the Railroad Museum category (there are tram museums that would qualify for railroad museums as noted above). I did not look for bus museums or more generic transport museums other then the ones I have been to.

- Seashore Trolley Museum -> Maine

- Connecticut Trolley Musem -> CT

- Shoreline Trolley Museum -> CT

- Trolley Museum of New York -> NY

- New York Transit Musum -> NY

- Penn. Trolley Museum -> PA

- Western Railway Museum -> CA (They have thinned their collection of most of their mainline railroad equipment to focus on Interurbans and trolleys)

- Halton County Radial Railway Museum -> Ont

- Edmonton Radial Railway Museum - ALB

- Rockhill Trolley Museum -> PA

- Oregon Electric Railway Museum -> OR

- Yakima Trolley Museum -> WA

- Dresden Tranport Museum -> GER

- Dresden Tram Museum -> GER

- Vienna Tram Museum -> Austria

- Prague Transport Museum -> Vienna

- Tokyo Subway Museum -> Japan

- Northern Ohio Railway Museum -> Ohio (only trolleys/interurbans)

- London Transport Museum -> UK

- National Tramway Museum -> UK

- National Capital Trolley Museum -> MD

- Baltimore Streetcar Museum -> MD

- Phoenix Trolley Museum -> AZ

- Fox River Trolley Museum -> IL

- East Troy Trolley Museum -> WI

- Electric City Trolley Museum -> PA

- Fort Smith Trolley Museum -> AR

- Charlotte Trolley Powerhouse Museum -> NC

- Minnesota Streetcar Museum - MN

- Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum - MA

- Zurich Tram Museum -> Swiss

- Sydney Tram Museum -> AUS

- Brisbane Tram Museum -> AUS

- Adelaide Tram Museum -> AUS

- Brussels Tram Museum -> BEL

- Helsinki Tram Museum -> FIN

- Hannover Tram Museum -> GER

- Stuttgart Tram Museum -> GER

- Amsterdam Tram Museum -> NL

- Munich Tram Museum -> GER

- Wellington Tram Museum -> NZ

- Ballarat Tram Museum -> AUS

- Berlin U-Bahn Museum -> GER

- Budapest Urban Transport Museum -> HUN

- Glasgow Museum of Transport -> UK

- Kiev Metro Museum -> UKR

- Moscow Metro Museum -> RUS

- Nagoya Tram & Metro Museum -> Japan

- Yokohama Tram Museum -> Japan

This is the reason why Waymarking remains fustrating to me, and even though I take a lot of photos of my travels and qualify to "visit" many waymarks I usually don't, and many wayamarks that I could add to existing categories that are missing, but I don't. Sorry for the small rant.

Subwaymark

Salem, OR

Perhaps you could broadening this category so that it could include living history museums that incorporate transit vehicles? I know of two living history museums in my province that operate historic trolley cars for visitors (Ford Edmonton Park and Calgary's Heritage Park.) However, I'm not aware of any museums in Canada that focus on transit exclusively.

Perhaps you could broadening this category so that it could include living history museums that incorporate transit vehicles? I know of two living history museums in my province that operate historic trolley cars for visitors (Ford Edmonton Park and Calgary's Heritage Park.) However, I'm not aware of any museums in Canada that focus on transit exclusively.

I loved Fort Edmonton Park, one of the best livign history museums I have ever been to! Calgary Hertiage Park is a close second. Outside of Toronto there is a trolley/transit museum only, Halton County Radial Railway Museum. It is nicely done!

I would support a "Transportation Museums" category. In general I feel that there are too few "Museums" categories. 13 of them. Not many, when, for example, I see 11 categories for "Veteran Memorials". Somehow I think Museums, in general, are much more important for us, human kind, than veteran memorials. Once upon the time I tried to bring the Ethnographic Museums, but people who commented shown some confusion between History and Ethnography and in general advised to include Ethnographic Museums in History Museums category, which left me speechless, quite literally.

As to your long list of "metro" and "trams" and others... aren't they all "motor vehicles", therefore with potential to be hosted in the Motor Vehicles Museums group?