Parking around High Mountain park NJ

TheDoctorPH

ive recently been looking for additional parking at the high mountain park preserve. I know there is the parking lot on college road but im hoping to find some on the western side of the park.

anyone know of any? I know on some of the cache pages for that area there is suggested parking but when i put in the coordinates it just shows me the middle of the park.

Hi. You have a few options.

1. Indian Trail Dr and Dakota Trail, Franklin Lakes. There is a small circle to park in. Entrance to the yellow trail that takes you to through the very nice Franklin Clove.

2. Winding Hollow Dr at top of Reservoir Dr, Franklin Lakes. Another small circle. Pick up the yellow trail (two entrances to it depending which way you want to go, look carefully). Or go down Reservoir Dr a bit to the Red trail.

3. Chicopee Dr in Wayne (towards the end on the right). Entrance to Blue Trail. The white connector trail hooks up with the yellow.

You can also cheat and park at the end of Omaha Way off of Dakota Trail in Franklin Lakes. There is an unmarked trail that hooks up with the blue but you miss a nice section of trail if you do that.

Do not park at the end of Scioto Dr in Franklin Lakes or across from Toys R Us corporate entrance on Berdan Ave in Wayne. You might have a problem

Ramapo definitely knows what he's talking about. I haven't parked at the first spot he mentioned, but I have parked on Winding Hollow Dr. a couple of times and on Chicopee Drive LOTS of times. One of the old maps had those spots mentioned as "official" parking areas, but I can't seem to locate it now. Polskikrol & I have used the Chicopee spot many times for late afternoon/evening hikes (returning with a headlamps on several occasions - shh, don't tell anyone). We even spoke with one of the homeowners once - she had no complaints about hikers (and had seen us after dark before), so I feel you're pretty safe there.

Bill

Good to know.

I tried out the Chicopee spot yesterday. it worked beautifully. i saw some other cars parked there as well but didnt see anyone else hiking. they may have just been well ahead of me.

i also gave a shout out and thanks to ramapo in the first log i signed. now i can attack this park from both ends..

..that...that didnt sound how i meant it to. :P

You can also access from the Terminus ends of Urban Club Drive, Wayne, NJ and Larks Meadow off Sanderling in Wayne, you can also access Blue Trail from Foxboro , Wayne, but you need to look for the right of way path over there, it leads to the Water storage tank , and looks like a driveway between two housed. Also there is very good access to the red trail over in North Haledon on Reservoir Drive near the circle. And yes Ramapo does know what he is talking about, and on a lot more than just trail access issues.

i thought of that but narrow crowded neighborhood roads are the last place i ever want to park. not only fear of getting my car hit but i dont want to be in the way of others. ive driven though there and it seems like it would be hard to find a place to park where your not in front of someones driveway or way too close to an intersection.