Green Walls/Vertical Gardens

Today i read an artical about "Vertical Gardens" in the National Geographic. I think it would be a great category.

"Form Paris to Bangkok, Sydney to Seoul, green is growing up." National Geographic July 2012 (Now/City solutions)

I've seen plenty of barns & older buildings covered in ivy & virginia creeper but never considered these as gardens. Would such examples have to be maintained (clipped) to be categorized as vertical gardens?

Seems like an interesting category though. Gardening Australia magazine had an article about vertical gardens in 2007 - they were just starting to become known then. Ivy has been growing on walls for yonks.

Category description

Description:

We are looking for vertical gardens and green walls. We are not accepting structures covered with normal wild growing plants, a.e. ivy.

Expanded Description:

"A green wall is a wall, either free-standing or part of a building, that is partially or completely covered with vegetation and, in some cases, soil or an inorganic growing medium."-Wikipedia

You can get a good impression at the following internet site: (visit link)

Some examples:

(visit link)

(visit link)

(visit link)

Instructions for Posting a Vertical Gardens Waymark:

All posts to this category must include the GPS coordinates taken by the waymarker himself with at least two pictures, one of the entire structure/house/garden and one with a detail picture of some plants.

For naming please use the name, state and country in the title. For example "Fronius, Headquarters - Wels, Austria". This will provide a consistent naming convention that will be uniquely trackable to an outside source.

If the Vertical Garden is located inside a house or other similar indoor setting, you should also include the name of the building in your waymark description so others may be able to find it if they desire. In this case the coordinates should be taken at the main entrance.

A detailed description of the 'Vertical Garden' is always appreciated, such as when it was created, history, outstanding or unique features. If your 'Vertical Garden' has any other unusual or unique features that you feel others would enjoy viewing or knowing, additional pictures and information is always welcome.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To post a log to an existing 'Vertical Garden' waymark, you will need to post a unique picture of the garden. Including your GPS device in the picture is not necessary!

Okay? :anitongue:

"Vote:

Deny

User:

vhasler

Comments:

This proposal jumped from the forums to a peer vote before the category development was complete. Looking at the goal for this category, the key element is that the vertical garden was planned and being maintained, not just happened. (Heck, my area has plenty of vertical surfaces covered with kudzu.) In this regard, a key attribute is in the quick description where it needs to be in the instructions. Another condition that is recommended is a minumum size to have a wow factor - thus excluding the DIY vertical wall kits available at garden stores. And limit to public accessible locations - preferably without an entrance fee. Most of these issues are addressing prevalence and standout criteria to ensure the category starts with good roots."

So why you are not posting here? -> My proposal was posted weeks ago and I got NO feedback (Only tante.hossi, thanks for that)

So why you are not posting here? -> My proposal was posted weeks ago and I got NO feedback (Only tante.hossi, thanks for that)

Although I wasn't addressed, I feel an urge to reply for the same goes for me: I voted nay without posting my objections (which are about the description rather than the genaral idea) here in the forums when it was time. Reason is simply because I wasn't in the forums back last year when this topic was hot and somehow I missed out on the February update. Should have paid better attention, sorry for that.

kittyposse, 'Nays' are 100% okay for me. No matter how the peer review ends, we will rewrite the category and try it again, oder auch nicht. It's not a must to write here but it's good to do it. Sometimes I'm really surprised why only a few Waymarkers are participating. In the peer review you see them all. So the peer review is the better forum for a planned category I think. You get there a feedback from about 50 people. Great, isn't it?