Strange Things

EveningKiss

From my log of "The Battle of Nevermore" which is on the water in Federal Way:

(Didn't find the cache)

An interesting find we did make though, my friend says, oh wait, here it is. It was a container with writing on it, so he thought that was it. He started reading the container. It said nothing about geocaching, and was kinda strange. I took it and read it. It was an old milk bottle that had washed up on the beach. It said, "If you find this at Sea, smoke a joint for my cousin" and had the cousins name, someone McCormick I think, born 1971, died 2009 written on the milk jug. I noticed something knocking around inside. It was a baggie. Honest to God, there was the biggest joint in there I've ever seen in my life. No joke on this. Water had gotten into the container and it smelled pretty rank. It was wet and slimy. I left the milk jug near the trail at the water, so if you don't believe me, go take a look yourself.

(Didn't find the cache)

An interesting find we did make though, my friend says, oh wait, here it is. It was a container with writing on it, so he thought that was it. He started reading the container. It said nothing about geocaching, and was kinda strange. I took it and read it. It was an old milk bottle that had washed up on the beach. It said, "If you find this at Sea, smoke a joint for my cousin" and had the cousins name, someone McCormick I think, born 1971, died 2009 written on the milk jug. I noticed something knocking around inside. It was a baggie. Honest to God, there was the biggest joint in there I've ever seen in my life. No joke on this. Water had gotten into the container and it smelled pretty rank. It was wet and slimy. I left the milk jug near the trail at the water, so if you don't believe me, go take a look yourself.

Well...

(did you or didn't you?...) :P

Edited by _Shaddow_

(Didn't find the cache)

Well...

Yeah, I don't think so.

Although I did find another whole container of the stuff while searching for another cache. It was up in a tree.

The person I was caching with asked what it was. I said, "If you don't know, I'm keeping it!!" :laughing: :laughing:

Not that I would, of course...

Edited by Sol seaker

(Didn't find the cache)

Well...

Yeah, I don't think so.

Although I did find another whole container of the stuff while searching for another cache. It was up in a tree.

The person I was caching with asked what it was. I said, "If you don't know, I'm keeping it!!" :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

This jogged my memory, I once found a drug dealers kit stashed in a shrub line in neighborhood over in the Sammamish area. At first I thought it was the cache thinking 'wow, what a nice case,' and it was, black, about the size of a small ammo can, it looked a lot a mini version of those boxes that are used for music concerts with a couple of foldout shelves in it like a tackle box.

Anyhow, opened it up to find some paraphernalia, including a small scale. I wanted to get rid of it by throwing it in the trash but being a rural street the only trash containers nearby where the cans the residences put out for pick up. I ruled that as I didn't want to get questioned about it by a home owner and then trying to convince them it wasn't mine. The same for taking it with me to dump in some dumpster, I could just see myself getting pulled over for some reason and trying to convince the officer that it wasn't mine but that I had found it geocaching and was just taking it home to throw out - 'riiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht let's go...'

Ended up dumping the contents on the side of the road and leaving it all there. I figured that was the best solution, I would stay out of trouble, the dealer would lose his stuff since I figured he wouldn't try to grab it out in the open, and the home owners would pick it up and toss it out while at the same time letting them learn that this type of activity is in their neighborhood so might want to keep an eye out.

Edited by _Shaddow_

I once found a drug dealers kit stashed in a shrub line in neighborhood over in the Sammamish area. At first I thought it was the cache thinking 'wow, what a nice case,' and it was, black, about the size of a small ammo can, it looked a lot a mini version of those boxes that are used for music concerts with a couple of foldout shelves in it like a tackle box.

We once saw a very odd mannequin in a storefront window. It was in the form of a naked pregnant woman, colored light blue, covered from head to toe in red lipstick kisses and wearing a helmet. We thought that was about the oddest thing we'd ever seen until we cut through a nearby alley into a parking lot where we came upon a woman who appeared to be someone's white-haired Grandmother, complete with puff paint sweatshirt. It was a drizzly night and she was standing in the shelter of a large window air conditioner unit along with two men. She was proffering an open case, very similar to the one you are describing. When we appeared from around the corner, she hesitated and eyed us over her reading glasses for a moment until she decided we were harmless and then turned her attention back to the two men. We did not linger to find out what the deal was, so to speak.

A little while later, we were a few blocks away and saw a man pushing a bicycle and carrying several frying pans of various sizes. A car approached and he leaned the bicycle up against a telephone pole, set the pans down next to it and hopped into the car, which drove off leaving his stuff just sitting there. The driver of the car appeared to be the same woman we had just seen with the case. Nocturnal urban wildlife is often pretty strange.

Edited by B+L

Wow! Right side drive. I'd say that is really strange. You don't find many on the road here let alone abandoned in the woods.

Used to be commonplace back in the day. The idea was the driver didn't have to leave the vehicle to deliver mail to streetside boxes and if they did, they were curbside to keep them out of traffic as much as possible to reduce risk of personal injury.

Wow! Right side drive. I'd say that is really strange. You don't find many on the road here let alone abandoned in the woods.

Used to be commonplace back in the day. The idea was the driver didn't have to leave the vehicle to deliver mail to streetside boxes and if they did, they were curbside to keep them out of traffic as much as possible to reduce risk of personal injury.

Still very commonplace around here. Nearly all the mail delivery vans I see are Right side drive.

Orting, 2002:

I've found 95 caches so far, and this is the first search I've called off because I didn't feel safe. I felt uneasy in one Baltimore-area swamp, alone, just after sunset and irritated when my car was broken into at The End is Just the Beginning but this was the first one I personally felt that pursuing the cache would put me in danger.

I think weak batteries tend to increase error on my GPS. When I put fresh batteries in, it locks quick, and the coordinates seem to be closer to what others see. Today, I had about 30% left in my batteries. I left the parking lot, hit the trail, followed the arrow across the bridge, kept going about 50 feet, and the arrow pointed to the left... across the brush 110 feet...

To an old white station wagon...

An old white station wagon and a lot of other trash...

An old white station wagon and a lot of other trash, and a scruffy looking guy standing on the hood, ripping trim and other parts off of the car with his bare hands...

I didn't go that way. I went back to the bridge. Looked at the GPS again. Still pointed to the car. If the guy wasn't there, that'd be an OK place to hide a cache, I suppose. But it'd probably not be the smartest thing to walk over there and start poking around with a $200 piece of electronics in my hands.

''Excuse me, Mr. Vandal. Could you hold my GPS for me so I can look under this car seat? Thanks.''

Nope. Ain't gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I didn't have time to wait, so I gave up and went back to my car.

After getting back on-line and reading the hint (silly me only printed the first page) and Love Bug's May 11 log, I think I was way off and still could've gotten it. I'll probably try again on June 13.

Keep an eye on your car. ;)

(Link to log)

(Didn't find the cache)

Well...

Yeah, I don't think so.

This jogged my memory, I once found a drug dealers kit stashed in a shrub line in neighborhood over in the Sammamish area. At first I thought it was the cache thinking 'wow, what a nice case,' and it was, black, about the size of a small ammo can, it looked a lot a mini version of those boxes that are used for music concerts with a couple of foldout shelves in it like a tackle box.

Anyhow, opened it up to find some paraphernalia, including a small scale. I wanted to get rid of it by throwing it in the trash but being a rural street the only trash containers nearby where the cans the residences put out for pick up. I ruled that as I didn't want to get questioned about it by a home owner and then trying to convince them it wasn't mine. The same for taking it with me to dump in some dumpster, I could just see myself getting pulled over for some reason and trying to convince the officer that it wasn't mine but that I had found it geocaching and was just taking it home to throw out - 'riiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht let's go...'

Ended up dumping the contents on the side of the road and leaving it all there. I figured that was the best solution, I would stay out of trouble, the dealer would lose his stuff since I figured he wouldn't try to grab it out in the open, and the home owners would pick it up and toss it out while at the same time letting them learn that this type of activity is in their neighborhood so might want to keep an eye out.

Ummm its called the police or if you didn't know the number for the non emergency line then 911. "Hello I have stumbled across a drug dump at this location and I am leaving the location as I don't feel safe. If you need to contact me this is how."...

My response at four similar situations, just substitute, prescription painkillers, meth waste, bong with joint, and heroine needles. I am a bit shocked that you would just dump it out where kids could easily find it on their way home from school. You will not get hassled or even bothered, the police are generally truly thankful you bothered to call it in and that you left the area and didn't put yourself in harms way.

(Didn't find the cache)

Well...

Yeah, I don't think so.

Ummm its called the police or if you didn't know the number for the non emergency line then 911. "Hello I have stumbled across a drug dump at this location and I am leaving the location as I don't feel safe. If you need to contact me this is how."...

My response at four similar situations, just substitute, prescription painkillers, meth waste, bong with joint, and heroine needles. I am a bit shocked that you would just dump it out where kids could easily find it on their way home from school. You will not get hassled or even bothered, the police are generally truly thankful you bothered to call it in and that you left the area and didn't put yourself in harms way.

You shouldn't jump to such conclusions. Also, be less smart-assy.

There were no drugs needles or other dangerous items, just a scale, bags, a shaker thing, a pipe and some other miscellaneous items. Looked like he was dealing weed.

Also I wasn't at all afraid of being there.

If I was a cop and had to meet you because of a pipe and maybe a little weed that you found, I'd be irritated and rolling my eyes that you took me away from important crimes for something that you could have just thrown out yourself. Please use more common sense.

If I was a cop and had to meet you because of a pipe and maybe a little weed that you found, I'd be irritated and rolling my eyes that you took me away from important crimes for something that you could have just thrown out yourself. Please use more common sense.

So why didn't you throw it out, instead of littering it all over the area? Where was the common sense in that?

To get this thread back on track.

shrek198 recently found this at one of my caches.

That jogged my memory that I found this similar item; pretty sure both are for LARPing

(also shown are some other things I found; funny that I didn't find the cache this visit)

37fd20e0-d894-4b24-ac29-7b41acd31b4f.jpg

The photo Shrek took looked more like it was a real sword, as it looked like it was corroded, and having seen LARPing in action (there used to be a group that played in the park behind my house), I know that they make fake swords.

Edited by Dgwphotos

The photo Shrek took looked more like it was a real sword, as it looked like it was corroded, and having seen LARPing in action (there used to be a group that played in the park behind my house), I know that they make fake swords.

It could be a metal sword with no blade. They sometimes use those in theater and whatnot so I don't see why larpers wouldn't.