Is it ok to integrate geocaches with Wherigo?

akkatracker

You're wanting to use your existing published caches as part of the Wherigo?

It's a bad idea, because the local cachers have already found your existing caches - taking them back to those caches isn't going to add anything to their experience.

Use the Wherigo to take people to places they haven't already been, and end it with a new cache. The nice thing about Wherigo is that all you need is a zone, you don't have add a container with "codes" for the cacher to continue.

This is a suggestion, not a guidelines requirement - though one new physical cache, unique to the Wherigo is a requirement for the Wherigo to be published on Geocaching.com. You can have more then one new physical cache that's found by using a single cart.

You're wanting to use your existing published caches as part of the Wherigo?

It's a bad idea, because the local cachers have already found your existing caches - taking them back to those caches isn't going to add anything to their experience.

Use the Wherigo to take people to places they haven't already been, and end it with a new cache. The nice thing about Wherigo is that all you need is a zone, you don't have add a container with "codes" for the cacher to continue.

This is a suggestion, not a guidelines requirement - though one new physical cache, unique to the Wherigo is a requirement for the Wherigo to be published on Geocaching.com. You can have more then one new physical cache that's found by using a single cart.

Thanks, would it be alright if I put containers with codes in them, that aren't geocaches

You may have as many physical containers or objects as you wish for a Wherigo cartridge. For instance, if your story says you found a detective's briefcase, you could hide something similar for that part of the story, then, in another area, have something else, perhaps where you look through one of the files.

If your Wherigo cartridge includes a geocaching component (i.e. it's listed on geocaching.com as well), all physical stages you've hidden will also be subject to the geocaching.com rules for stages of a multicache. Thus, the containers you have hidden for the cartridge must then be ~160m away from other geocaches.

I agree with the previous comments. You can have a geocache with your Wherigo, but it should be a new one and it should not be one owned by someone else.

You can have a Wherigo that stands on its own and has no geocache attached, such as the gps receiver simulator or a program to do certain calculations. These would not have a geocache with them.

OR your Wherigo cartridge from Wherigo dot com will work in conjunction with a geocache on geocaching dot com.

If your Wherigo used geocaches owned by others, maintenance issues may result. Your Wherigo would be dependent on circumsstances that you do not control. If your Wherigo helped others to find geocaches owned by others, that would be publishing spoilers. Imagine someone saying, "I don't think I would have found it unless so-and-so's Wherigo told me where to look. You too can get help from NotTheCacheOwner by downloading this cartridge."

If you want to make a multistage Wherigo-geocache, let the Wherigo take the player to stages that are unique to the geocaching dot com cache listing. As a Wherigo, the different stages don't have to be physical items since you control what happens when they get to a zone.

You may have as many physical containers or objects as you wish for a Wherigo cartridge. For instance, if your story says you found a detective's briefcase, you could hide something similar for that part of the story, then, in another area, have something else, perhaps where you look through one of the files.

If your Wherigo cartridge includes a geocaching component (i.e. it's listed on geocaching.com as well), all physical stages you've hidden will also be subject to the geocaching.com rules for stages of a multicache. Thus, the containers you have hidden for the cartridge must then be ~160m away from other geocaches.

Thanks for the clarification.