Is it true that Travel Bugs repel Zombies like garlic does to Vampires?

Mad Dawgg

Is it true that Travel Bugs repel Zombies like garlic does to Vampires? :D

If this info is true I think Travel Bugs should be distributed far and wide in Zombie Apocalypse Emergency Stations (A.K.A. Travel Bug Hotels) then if a Zombiepocalypse breaks out we can all be prepared.

Thoughts?

Questions?

Rants?

Flames?

Discuss...

Mad Dawgg B)

No. Can't say they do.

Are you sure? Has this been tested? I've been checking the maps and I've noticed no Zombie attacks have happened within 1 mile of a listed TB Hotel. I think this is significant datum and probable proof of concept.

Your theory can be put to the test at Halloween Hides and Creepy Caches event at Halloween. As Zombies are know to attend the event. There where no attacks last year and all the Zombies where friendly. We will try sacrificing a few virgins by sending them out caching with Zombies to TB free zones, and report back.

Excellent. I knew my Spidey Senses were not leading me false. I am indeed looking forward to the results of your proposed experiment. Meanwhile I believe I will install a Zombiepocalypse Emergency Station (A.K.A. Travel bug Motel) in front of my building. I believe the data available proves the theory and one can never be too careful when preparing for a ZOMPOCA (texteese for Zombiepocalypse)

I think there may be some truth in your assertation.

We handle a lot of travel bugs, we own quite a few travel bugs, our house is rarely travel bug free.

We have never had any sort of Zombie problems - no Apocalypses, no Casual Visitations, no zombies collecting for zombie charities, not even roudy zombies causing a nuisance on the street outside.

Yes, it seems yet another good reason why geocachers should handle travel bugs regularly and take good care of them.

MrsB smiley_emoticons_zombie01.gif

I think trading good swag builds immunity. the trash cachers ( rocks, paper, food, etc) are screwed.

So, is it your experience that items other than Travel Bugs will repel Zombies as well? Geocoins for instance, or good Tradeables like badges and bracelets and such?

We handle a lot of travel bugs, we own quite a few travel bugs, our house is rarely travel bug free.

We have never had any sort of Zombie problems - no Apocalypses, no Casual Visitations, no zombies collecting for zombie charities, not even roudy zombies causing a nuisance on the street outside.

Yes, it seems yet another good reason why geocachers should handle travel bugs regularly and take good care of them.

Excellent the next logical question is "If Travel bugs do indeed repel Zombies then is it true that the more traveled a bug is (LOGGED miles) the more potent a Zombie Repellent it will be?"

If this is true it may be another good reason for Cachers to make sure they log the bugs they move visiting caches and such. I smell a new Travel Bug Public Service Announcement in the making.

Edited by Mad Dawgg

Is it true that the Zombie repelling properties of Travel Bugs (and Geocoins) only last for about two weeks. Which is why you should not hold on to Travel Bugs to long, or they could start to attract Zombies.

Ahhh YES! Now we have a refined and more complete theory. Travel Bugs become more potent Zombie repellant as they gain miles but become weakened and will attract Zombies when they stay longer than two weeks!.

Next question how do travel bugs that are designed to be Discovered (T-shirts, Car Stickers, Necklaces, Walking Sticks, etc.) fit into the theory?

I looked up "Zombie Repellent", and found soaps and T-Shirts. Don't put soap in a Geocache. A Travel Bug T-Shirt may be the only option. I haven't tested this, since there's a shortage of zombies here lately. The only way to effectively ward off zombies is with a strong barricade, and that will certainly be breached by the end of Act Two. Zombies have been known to wear T-Shirts and even rip them off victims, but maybe those weren't Travel Bug T-Shirts. It takes some planning and work to make a nice TB T-Shirt. I hope you read this reply in time. If not, be sure to fortify the barricade.

Edited by kunarion

No. Can't say they do.

Are you sure? Has this been tested? I've been checking the maps and I've noticed no Zombie attacks have happened within 1 mile of a listed TB Hotel. I think this is significant datum and probable proof of concept.

And your Vampire data?

Is it true that the Zombie repelling properties of Travel Bugs (and Geocoins) only last for about two weeks. Which is why you should not hold on to Travel Bugs to long, or they could start to attract Zombies.

You should submit this as a feature to implement. This kind of wording on a TB could do wonders! Of course, you'd have to be willing to dress up like a zombie and pay visits to the cachers who don't comply.

No. Can't say they do.

And your Vampire data?

Well, I'm not sure but I've been told Travel Bugs have no effect whatsoever on Vampires. However Geocoins are a different matter but that would be another section of the forum. ;)

I can't comment on Travel Bugs repelling zombies, but can vouch for the effectiveness of the Mega Generic XXL Geocoin being an excellent weapon to use against them! :laughing:

Well I've been told Geocoins have no effect on repelling Zombies but as weapons against them all I can say is you should aim for the head. However Geocoins work well repelling Vampires (At least that is what I am told) but of course that is a different section of the forum.<_<

You should submit this as a feature to implement. This kind of wording on a TB could do wonders! Of course, you'd have to be willing to dress up like a zombie and pay visits to the cachers who don't comply.

I would gather a full video and public service announcement would also be in order. And as far as dressing up like a zombie that is no problem its my normal look (Especially in the morning before I've had my coffee...)

If you can convince me that zombies have anything to do with trackables, I might be inclined to re-open this thread. But at this point in time this thread makes no sense. Please feel free to email me and explain what you are getting at with all this zombie talk.

(I hate to be the one to break it to you, but zombies are fictional.)

Now, as far as the TB hotel goes. Please do not attach anything anybody's trackables, without owner permission. If the owner is unobtainable, do not attach anything to their TB. People send them out the way they want them. Adding something to it can change the size of a TB, and reduce the number of caches it will fit in. Never add anything without asking for, and receiving permission to do so. It is considered bad form in Trackable-land.

Thank you.

I think trading good swag builds immunity. the trash cachers ( rocks, paper, food, etc) are screwed.

So, is it your experience that items other than Travel Bugs will repel Zombies as well? Geocoins for instance, or good Tradeables like badges and bracelets and such?

absolutely . actually, just this morning I made a before-work find at a cache called Sanitarium Oasis - I dropped the

lid to the cache while I was signing the log- as i reached down to grab it ,a zombie came lurching out of the bushes. I held up my fuchsia box-o-swag ( full of handmade stuff, even for tiny caches) and the zombie just gasped in awe and slowly spoke " I ... will .... let ..... you........ live... cache on, awesome Swagstress"

Since you seemed to be having fun here, and although I don't get it, (but my personal opinion is not what matters here) I asked Groundspeak, and they said you could have your thread.

Re-opened.

Thank You Eartha. And my main goal in life (Just so you know) is to have fun and maybe provide a few laughs for family and friends and those I meet. The idea behind this thread is to explore the "theory that Travel Bugs which are logged and handled properly will keep the Zombies away." And BTW there have been several Zombie Attacks reported in the news lately even CNN covered the one in Florida.

So we had so far discovered that "The more a TB is traveled and logged properly the more powerful it becomes as a Zombie repellant, However if a Travel Bug is held too long the power is diminished AND the effect reverses and the TB will start to attract Zombies. So anyone else have anything to add to the theory? (For instance does the power drop away forever when someone holds it too long or does it recharge up to the level it had before it was mishandled and lost its power once it is sent on its journey again?

BTW thanks to all who have helped shape the theory so far!

This is important stuff. So have at it all!

Mad Dawgg B)

Edited by Mad Dawgg

absolutely . actually, just this morning I made a before-work find at a cache called Sanitarium Oasis - I dropped the

lid to the cache while I was signing the log- as i reached down to grab it ,a zombie came lurching out of the bushes. I held up my fuchsia box-o-swag ( full of handmade stuff, even for tiny caches) and the zombie just gasped in awe and slowly spoke " I ... will .... let ..... you........ live... cache on, awesome Swagstress"

Excellent! So Swag is a good Zombie Repellent as well. This is getting better and better.

We need to be ever vigilant.

They know about geocaching. They are trying to infiltrate our bases.

There are nearly 500 trackables with the word Zombie in their name. (It's a bit of a give-away...You'd think they'd be more cunning, wouldn't you?)

Here's an example: Flyboy Zombie

18d546c4-0840-434d-91af-c49f9c95abf9.jpg

I will watch out for any in my local area and report back. (If I survive.)

MrsB

There are nearly 500 trackables with the word Zombie in their name. (It's a bit of a give-away...You'd think they'd be more cunning, wouldn't you?)

MrsB

Ah HAH! No further proof needed on the theory. They are trying to subvert the Travel Bug System because they FEAR IT.

Now we know... NOW WE KNOW!

Log those TBs folks and send them on their way. We must stop the ZOMPOCA before it overwhelms us!

Mad Dawgg B)

Very well said......... and i totally agree. : )

Edited by EXMAN

MrsB

Ah HAH! No further proof needed on the theory. They are trying to subvert the Travel Bug System because they FEAR IT.

Now we know... NOW WE KNOW!

Log those TBs folks and send them on their way. We must stop the ZOMPOCA before it overwhelms us!

Mad Dawgg B)

I've heard from 'my people' that trackables, of any kind, are totally void of power after they've been missing for a year or longer. BUT.... the good news is.... that if a replacement is sent out in it's stead, the replacement 'shall be' endowed with eternal powers to vanquish all Zombies within the cache zones through which it passes........ Just sayin' ....... Sounds like a no brainer to me.... If any cacher is advised that a trackable has been missing for a year or longer, his mission (should he choose to accept it) is to release a replacement. PERIOD.

Edited by EXMAN

Excellent! So Swag is a good Zombie Repellent as well. This is getting better and better.

I think you read it incorrectly. The zombie was not repelled but put in check. I read it as being more of a 'get out of Jail Card' type thing. A free pass to survive another day. Still VERY Valuable stuff to have with you, and the higher the quality the stronger the effect. I'd suggest that perhaps unfairly traded items would reduce the potency regardless of their quality, since it is the trader that is being protected. A validation of the 'up or equal' trade clause.

Doug 7rxc

I think you read it incorrectly. The zombie was not repelled but put in check. I read it as being more of a 'get out of Jail Card' type thing. A free pass to survive another day. Still VERY Valuable stuff to have with you, and the higher the quality the stronger the effect. I'd suggest that perhaps unfairly traded items would reduce the potency regardless of their quality, since it is the trader that is being protected. A validation of the 'up or equal' trade clause.

Doug 7rxc

I believe you are right. Wise, very wise. and thus the "theory' is further defined. Well done.

Mad Dawgg B)

I haven't seen or moved a trackable in awhile now. Does this mean my caching area is becoming zombiefied? All these times that I've seen other people in the woods, shuffling along and murmuring "braaaainnnns"...I just assumed they were other cachers.

I'd say its 6-9 and pick 'em on either choice. :lol:

Mad Dawgg B)

Would it be too much trouble to require each cacher to email you for the combination? You could ask a question that adequately proves to you that they have never been dead. I don't know, do zombies still possess the ability to read or access a computer? I gave my old iPhone to my kids for Christmas and they promptly lost it. It's conceivable that they could have gotten their hands on it. That's assuming their hands haven't fallen off.

I haven't seen or moved a trackable in awhile now. Does this mean my caching area is becoming zombiefied? All these times that I've seen other people in the woods, shuffling along and murmuring "braaaainnnns"...I just assumed they were other cachers.

it's quite possible they were just lost quantum physicists mumbling " Braaaaaaaaaaaanes" ....

Almost all travel bugs I've met so far were actually dead. One of them was a living dog and it was repelling squirrels.

So from my experience, travel bugs are repelling squirrels if they happen to be living dogs.

But I haven't found any zombie in any cache with travel bug, so your myth seems plausible.