CamelBak (Industrial & Military)

Team Shuey

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbutcher68:

Shuey, did you ever think it was gonna get this big?!

I never imagined that the thread for this topic would get this large!!!

The sales have dropped dramatically over the past two weeks, and I would like to get them back to normal though!

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Favorite Quote: What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by AGREATSCOT:

Team Shuey,

Do you carry an accessory the military Ergo Hydrolock? This is the one that has a shutoff and puts the Big Bite Valve at a 90 degree to the tube for easier drinking? The Military one is supposed to be black not blue and yellow like the civilian version.

Thanks, Peter aka Agreatscot

Yes, I do carry military accessories, but at this time CamelBak has shut down all of their small suppliers to take care of the military orders of their own. I am actually upset with CamelBak at this time due to fact that they have promised me military packs for the past three weeks, and I have seen nothing. I have a lot of orders that need to be filled, and everyone has been so patient waiting for them. I have about 20 orders in house at this time that are for military packs, and when they come in I will also include a free cleaning kit to make everyone happy that has had to wait so long.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Favorite Quote: What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

I have run an ad on geocaching.com in the past, but had a brain storm when I seen a contest posted in the forums that would give the winner of the best avatar a free hand-carved geo-stick.

My idea is very simular, but instead of having the best avatar I was hoping to get everyone to try and design a banner that will be seen on the pages of geocaching.com advertising the CamelBaks that I have for sale. The winner will recieve a free military style CamelBak M.U.L.E., complete with every accessory that we have available. i.e. Commpack, cleaning kit, etc.

What does everyone think? I do pretty good with graphics, but I figured I would let the geocachers design the banner that will be displayed.

Let me know...

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by Sportcat:

Can you give us some specs to work with? Banner size, dimensions? Are we free to swipe your logo from your website?

Yes, you are free to use anything that you find on my web site, but don't begin yet! I really want to see what kind of response I get for wanting to have a contest of this type. If I get some negative feedback from others, then I would rather not do it. I have built what I feel is a really good reputation here among geocachers, and I don't want to put that into jeopardy!

Once I get a feel on how many would like to participate in the contest, then I will start a new thread for the contest.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:

Can you give us some specs to work with? Banner size, dimensions? Are we free to swipe your logo from your website?

Yes, you are free to use anything that you find on my web site, but don't begin yet! I really want to see what kind of response I get for wanting to have a contest of this type. If I get some negative feedback from others, then I would rather not do it. I have built what I feel is a really good reputation here among geocachers, and I don't want to put that into jeopardy!

Once I get a feel on how many would like to participate in the contest, then I will start a new thread for the contest.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

Ok, I just have to ask- is that thing like a big backpack with a straw, in case a canteen, water bottle, etc. is too inconvenient, you can now saddle yourself up with a whole backpack to lug water around in??

Where the heck are you guys geocaching, the Sahara?

I can see taking a liter of water along if you are going to be making a day of it, or maybe two for a hot, arid climate, but a whole friggin' BACKPACK of water??

Wow- just think how convenient an entire Poland Spring bottle clamped to a pack frame would be- you could hike around with weeks' worth of water!

What am I missing here, I just don't get it. Are the people who buy this product looking to shower in the woods or something? I can't imagine carrying an entire backpack devoted to water out on a geocache.

quote:

I will stay out of this one, and let other say their peace! icon_rolleyes.gif

I will however say that a litter of water will do you no go if you do any of the InfoChallenges here in central Florida.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

To Have Cache Will Travel -

I won't flame you, despite the rather antagonistic way in which you framed your question. I am a happy user of a military-strength Camelbak MULE purchased from Team Shuey. Now I never cache without it, except for the shortest of hikes. Here are some questions back at you:

1. Would you rather have a warm bottle of water, or a sip of ice-cold water from a Camelbak?

2. Would you rather stop walking or biking, take off your knapsack, retrieve your water bottle and have a sip, or just reach down without stopping, to sip from a Camelbak hose?

3. On the fourth mile of a five-mile hike in 90 degree heat, would you rather finish off the last sip of your litre of spring water, or take another drink from a 100 oz. reservoir? I have used up every drop of my 100 oz. on three different occasions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Let's begin with water requirements...

Daily: 64 oz. of water for regular activities. That's more than most drink in 3 days, but your body needs water more than you might admit.

Carrying one liter of water is not enough for a 3-4 hour hike (Moderate workout). Your body gets rid of half of that in your breath and perspiration alone.

Regarding containers...

Carrying a single water bottle is not ergonomically good practice. Balancing the weight of the water between your shoulders and keeping it close to your spine makes it not only easier to carry, but better on your back for most of your activities. You can carry more weight without noticing it if it is balanced and close to your body. The water reservoir of the Camelbak (as well as knock-offs of the Camelbak) is elongated and oval-shaped to maintain low profile.

Having to stop and reach for a water bottle, open it, close it, put it back became a bother when holding a GPSr and a hiking stick. Having the 'long straw' and bite valve make things so much easier.

I've biked many miles. Using a water bottle takes away your concentration and eyes away from the path you're on, and one hand from your handlebars while you fiddle with the opening/closing mechanism. With a Camelbak, you simply bring the bite valve up to your lips and re-grip the handlebars - drink till you're satisfied, let go of the bite valve. Anyone with a water bottle cage mounted on the lower bars of their bike know that road grit easily coats the whole water bottle; the Camelbak tube and bite valve can be positioned to be right next to your face.

Survival and First Aid...

Besides 'caching, I am a hunter. I'll be away from my vehicle for hours on end. Water cures the pangs of hunger (to a degree). I know that everyone needs water. Who knows, maybe I'll come across someone who needs water to survive? Maybe I'll need water to wash a cut or cool a burn? For me, the 3 liters is enough water to share with my lovely wife, not too much, but not so little water that I change my plans to find a water source.

Hydrate or Die - not meaning to sound harsh but it's _that_ important. Does that cover it?

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

I just noticed this thread and I am quite interested in getting a CamelBak pack. However, I intend to use it more for hiking with my local Scout troop (I am a Scoutmaster for a troop of 4-5 active Scouts). I'd want to use this for 2-night overnight trips. Is there a CamelBak pack that people recommend for such things? Basically, I'd need the CamelBak for the water during the hike, of course, but it would also need to have enough space to store 2-3 days worth of gear (camp stove, small sleeping bag, light tent, and so on). I'm open to suggestions...

Of course, it'd be nice to be able to use it for smaller trips/hikes and/or geocaching also. That makes the Transformer look attractive... Anyone used that one and recommend it? I guess I'll probably MAINLY use it with all the parts on -- for bigger trips. So I'm mainly interested in a review from that standpoint. So if it does great at that -- and then is an average pack without the 2 extras on (i.e. for short hikes), then that sounds like it would work well for me...

Thanks!

- John...

Do the MotherLode or BFM CamelBak packs allow you to remove any sections like the Transformer? It doesn't say so, but the pictures make it look like they are held on with straps/clips. Just curious if they are removeable so that I could use something like a MotherLode pack for lighter trips at times...

Also, Shuey, do you have the 2003 MotherLode packs? Your site mentions that the MotherLodes are 1800 cu. in., but the CamelBak site says that the MotherLodes are now 2100 cu. in. for the 2003 models. Or is that because you have the "3L" ones listed? are the 3L ones something smaller/different? If so, do you carry, or plan to carry, the 2003 MotherLode packs that are 2100 cu. in.?

Thanks!

- John...

NO you can not take off compartments.

Nice thing is you can compress it with the packs straps. The BFM holds way more than I expected, but as a bonus you can out 2 100oz bladders in the back compartment without much issue, and if you need more water you can strap 2 more 100oz er to the sides.

I have a post with a lot of pictures of the BFM and my Med ALICE, and rimrunner.

The link is on page 5 I think of this thread.

-RObert

Hmmm... I'm thinking that the BFM might be just too big for what I want then...

The 2003 MotherLode is just a bit smaller (2141 cu. in. of cargo space compared to the BFM's 2550). That is assuming that Shuey has the 2003 ones -- since his site still has the size listed as only 1700 cu. in. for the MotherLode, which is the previous/older model).

Anyone happen to have the 2003 MotherLode that can give some nice pics of it being worn and maybe the main compartment inside?

- John...

Sorry Everyone!

I need to change the pic on the web site to show the new designs. Every CamelBak I sell are the new styles. Also the difference between the BFM, and the MotherLode is that the BFM has the external compartments that hold more that the MotherLode.

FREE SHIPPING??? I had to stop that. The only thing we charge now is standard UPS charges which ranges between $4.50 - $8.00 depending on where you live. There is NO UP-CHARGES for shipping.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by John & Bretta:

Sorry, one more question... People are talking about the Military stuff -- that is what I should be looking at, right? On Shuey's site, I don't see a "Military" section. Is the "Maximum Gear" section the same thing -- and what I should be looking at for the military-quality stuff?

Thanks!

- John...

MAXIMUM GEAR is the Military styles.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

Hi John,

From reading I have done Camelbak changed the Motherlode due to requirements by the military. If you look at the new model there are alot more Molle straps. These are required for all packs and vest gear to add gear to the outside.

The 'military' packs from Camelbak are made by Eagle industries, a top gear supplier to the military. They are tough heavy duty material far superior to the civilian models. They are in daily use by our troops (God Bless them!) making them more effective and saving lives.

Team Shuey is providing a great service to the Geocaching family by providing these Camelbaks at a really good price. I looked at one at a local military outdoor store and what a saving we get at Team Shuey. I am saving up for a BFM now.

On the hike you are talking about I ask, is there potable water at the campsite? If not I would go with the BFM and extra 100oz bladders. I have a old model Motherlode and it is fine for a 2-3 day hike in summer. In winter I will need the BFM.

Good luck, Peter AKA Agreatscot

quote:

Hi John,

From reading I have done Camelbak changed the Motherlode due to requirements by the military. If you look at the new model there are alot more Molle straps. These are required for all packs and vest gear to add gear to the outside.

Indeed. I actually like the new one much better -- which is why I wanted to make sure that Shuey had those ones before I ordered. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Team Shuey is providing a great service to the Geocaching family by providing these Camelbaks at a really good price. I looked at one at a local military outdoor store and what a saving we get at Team Shuey. I am saving up for a BFM now.

Oh, indeed! I hope my questions didn't come off wrong on that! I'm very happy with Shuey's service and deals for us! And I do plan on getting the military quality ones, of course. Just waiting for an expected PayPal payment to arrive so that I can order a MotherLode...

quote:
On the hike you are talking about I ask, is there potable water at the campsite? If not I would go with the BFM and extra 100oz bladders. I have a old model Motherlode and it is fine for a 2-3 day hike in summer. In winter I will need the BFM.

Yes, water will be available along the route -- so I'm not as concerned about the amount of water that I can carry. I basically would like to be able to use the pack for shorter trips too -- which is why I think the BFM is too big for me.

To be honest, I'd like to take one on 20-50 mile biking trips just for the water -- and I think even the MotherLode is going to be too big for that. Then again, at only 10 pounds full of water, I guess I could just strap everything tight/closed and use it empty except for the water. Even the small MULE would be 8 pounds, so, except for being a bit more bulky, the MotherLode really isn't that much more heavy when the cargo areas are empty...

- John...

I think running a contest is a great idea, and meets the same spirit of the board as free caching/hiking staff that was given away a few weeks ago. Particularly if TeamShuey is paying for the ad to run where we are all going to be seeing it anyway. Why not have something featured that one of the users here designed?

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

To be honest, I'd like to take one on 20-50 mile biking trips just for the water -- and I think even the MotherLode is going to be too big for that. Then again, at only 10 pounds full of water, I guess I could just strap everything tight/closed and use it empty except for the water. Even the small MULE would be 8 pounds, so, except for being a bit more bulky, the MotherLode really isn't that much more heavy when the cargo areas are empty...

QUOTE]

John,

I know what you mean about bike riding. I also have a mule to use on my mountainbike and it is perfect. I also bought a 2 Liter Thermobak to use while working in the yard and it is good for my powerwalks also. The Motherlode cinched down with the compression straps should be ok for a 20-50 mile bike ride. Like you say, I wouldn't load it too heavy for the bike or your center of gravity would be awkward. Peter

A contest sounds like fun Team Shuey!

CONTEST CONTEST CONTEST

I was originally shut down in the GENERAL FORUM for posting this contest, but I would hope that if I posted it here that the admins wouldn't mind. They said it was too commercial to have such a post, but I figured that if it was posted here, that it wouldn't be commercial since this is a discussion on CamelBaks in the first place.

THE CONTEST

I became very interested in the idea that EL DIABLO had when he held a contest for the best avatar, and gave away a personalized geo-stick to the person who was the winner.

My contest is very much the same, except instead of having the best avatar, I am wanting to have geocachers design a banner that will be advertised here on geocaching.com promoting the CamelBaks sold on my web site.

WHAT THE WINNER WILL GET!

1. CamelBak B.F.M. (Olive Drab)

2. CamelBak Reservior Dryer

3. CamelBak CommPak

4. CamelBak Cleaning Kit

5. 25 Man First-Aid-Kit

6. Have there banner displayed on the main pages of geocaching.com

Total prize to ONE winner is worth $288.00 +

------------------------------------------------

WHAT'S NEEDED TO ENTER?

Make a banner that is 90 x 180, and has something to do with CamelBak & etarps.com

EXAMPLE BANNER:

example.jpg

Please email your entries to geobanner@reliancesales.com and they will be posted on a special web page so everyone can see. There will be NO VOTING! I will make a decision on who the winner will be, and which banner will be used.

The contest will end on SEPT 26th, 2003. Hopefully I will have everything setup with geocaching.com at the time to begin posting the banner soon after the contest has ended.

NEEDED MATERIALS:

You may used ANY graphics that are posted within the pages of etarps.com with my full approval.

NOTE: Team Shuey is also graphic designers, but time has become an major factor in designing logos, and banners for advertising. I figured that this would be a fun way to get everyone involved, and I have seen some truely amazing graphics displayed here in the forums.

GOOD LUCK,

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by Have Cache WILL Travel:

I can see taking a liter of water along if you are going to be making a day of it, or maybe two for a hot, arid climate, but a whole friggin' BACKPACK of water??

One more thing, The water bladder on most Camelbaks only takes up a small percentage of the packs like the BFM, MULE, and Motherlode. The packs have separte compartments and pockets to hold first aid kits, survival gear, camera, extra batteries, food, extra clothing, compass, PDA, etc. and cache mintenance and trade items. Take care.Peter AKA Agreatscot

[This message was edited by AGREATSCOT on August 28, 2003 at 11:55 PM.]

quote:

Anyone have a picture of a Motherlode with it empty except for the bladder

- John...

Hi John,

I could shoot a couple of pictures tomorrow when I return home for you. The only thing is that my Motherlode is the older model (really the middle model, it has the Molle straps but does not extend out in the top.)

Let me know, Peter

This is a picture of my pack loaded with a Maxpedition M1 I bought from TNRonin attached to the Molle straps. Works great! I think you can get a pretty good idea.

1062641005089_P8200057.JPG

TNRonin Maxpedition

quote:

I could shoot a couple of pictures tomorrow when I return home for you. The only thing is that my Motherlode is the older model (really the middle model, it has the Molle straps but does not extend out in the top.)

Let me know, Peter

Even though it is not the same model that I'd be getting, I still wouldn't mind seeing it in its "small as possible with bladder" state just to give me an idea. If you don't mind doing a pic or two of it...

Thanks!

- John...

Hi Shuey,

Have had my BFM for about a month now and I well pleased. I like to do the day hike caches and this thing is very comfortable. I especially like the firm lumbar pad...really takes the load off my lower back. I did a cache that was about 9 miles with a 3800ft evelation gain in 90 degree heat. Finshed off the 100oz bladder no problem. Glad it can hold TWO bladders in the same compartment and allow me to hold all my gear. Anyway well pleased with the product. And your service was great!! You even sent me TWO BFM's for the price of one icon_biggrin.gif !! I knew it was too good to be true as both packages had the same invoice number. I contacted Chris and I sent the other one back after I contacted him regarding the error. He was suprised and glad that I made him aware of it. Hope he got it as I have not heard from him. Email me if you need the orignal invoice and UPS shipping number. Thanks for a great pack!!

quote:

Even though it is not the same model that I'd be getting, I still wouldn't mind seeing it in its "small as possible with bladder" state just to give me an idea. If you don't mind doing a pic or two of it...

Thanks!

- John...

Here you go John,

Sorry for the delay, we got home too late to take pictures.

1062963982395_P9030002.JPG

1063343570175_P9030008.JPG

1060708058817_P9030006.JPG

1061031779051_P9030003.JPG

These are taken with the bladder full and the cinch straps fully tight and empty of my gear. This was a good project as I can now reorganize the contents before reloading and get rid of the extras. If you need other pictures let me know. I will leave it as is today.

Take care, Peter AKA Agreatscot

quote:

Hi John,

Did you order the Motherlode?

Not yet. I've decided to go with the Motherlode -- it's just a matter of time and money now. I did some minor work for a company in Hong Kong that is supposed to be PayPal'ing some money to me. As soon as that comes in, I'm going to order the Motherlode. They're a bit slow though, it appears... heh.

- John...

quote:

I did some minor work for a company in Hong Kong that is supposed to be PayPal'ing some money to me. As soon as that comes in, I'm going to order the Motherlode. They're a bit slow though, it appears... heh.

Yeah, I did some work for some guys in South Africa regarding shuffling some funds into my bank account. They still haven't sent me my money, and no one wil take my debit card anymore. Maybe the SoBig virus is slowing down their payment?

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

quote:
Yeah, I did some work for some guys in South Africa regarding shuffling some funds into my bank account. They still haven't sent me my money, and no one wil take my debit card anymore. Maybe the SoBig virus is slowing down their payment?

I hope this is not the famous scam! Did you have to spend any of your own money for "shuffling" some funds? Here is a link to the story... click here

euchomai: I'm pretty sure that mckee was kidding around -- and meant that scam specifically. icon_smile.gif

In any case, it wasn't nearly that shady, mckee. Real work -- and they'll pay (they own me only US$350) -- as soon as they get around to it... They tend to be slow -- but still reliable in their payments.

Normally, I wouldn't care about the delay -- I expect it from them -- it's just that I want that pack... icon_smile.gif

- John...

quote:

A couple questions on the contest:

1. May we submit more than one entry?

2. Are animated GIFs allowed? I generally don't like them, but I thought that I'd ask anyhow...

- John...

I'm sorry John, I wasn't ignoring anyone on purpose. Three of our systems contacted the BLASTER virus about a week ago, and I just decided to rebuild them all, and put WINDOWS XP Pro on all of them. Needless to say... I have been down for the past week or so.

To answer your questions...

1. Enter as many times as you wish.

2. I think I would prefer to stick with a non-animated banner. (.gif, or .jpg) I'm not sure how geocaching.com is towards animated banners.

I also haven't noticed to many people interested in doing the contest??? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shuey:

Three of our systems contacted the BLASTER virus about a week ago, and I just decided to rebuild them all, and put WINDOWS XP Pro on all of them. Needless to say... I have been down for the past week or so.

Ouch. Hope you've got things back under control.

quote:

I also haven't noticed to many people interested in doing the contest??? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Not sure how many I sent. 4?

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!