Ive done it, 100 5/5's

Nope that's it for now, I hit the magic 100 now on 101 so done what I set to achieve and happy with the results, probably just save them for milestones and other occasions now, now need to look at grid filling or something else if I can find a nice challenge to do next.

I'll post up shortly my favourite ones as there is more than one. However on another thread I went through them last night and found half were rated correctly thirty percent more or less close and twenty percent lmfao are you having a laugh where was the d/t in that lol.

Nope that's it for now, I hit the magic 100 now on 101 so done what I set to achieve and happy with the results, probably just save them for milestones and other occasions now, now need to look at grid filling or something else if I can find a nice challenge to do next.

I'll post up shortly my favourite ones as there is more than one. However on another thread I went through them last night and found half were rated correctly thirty percent more or less close and twenty percent lmfao are you having a laugh where was the d/t in that lol.

My favourites:

Gc1aggd my first 5/5 cost us three trips a new mobile phone and a pair of walkie talkies along with close hyperthermia

Gc11km7 been back here a few times best abseiling/climbing cache

Gc2jpkz best and hardest cave along with the others close by.

Gc1c47m best boating cache as this was underground

Gc3k9xq probably the hardest 5/5 ever as its 5x5/5

Gc29m8v not as hard and as great as I thought but still enjoyed it.

Gc3j3pj as it was my 100th and the climb was good the puzzle nearly impossible.

So narrowing them down

The beast

Hippos below

Again two different types here beast being very dangerous from white ice and hippos below because of the risk of drowning if it goes wrong.

I guess after thinking about it and this is very close hippos below wins but unless you go there you won't understand. But if you want the hardest ever to do physically try t5 challenge you won't be disappointed.

Great achievement.....or was it?

I'm not being sniffy here but rather would welcome your report on the actual 5/5 nature of the caches you have done.

100 of them is a true achievement and, therefore, I think you are uniquely able to appraise them.

I have yet to see a proper 5/5 and I really don't think I will ever be able to do one. 5 terrain and 5 difficulty, seems to me that a combination of Einstein and Bear Grylls is needed. I sadly lack on both counts. What's this? I have actually done 2 of these devilish 5/5 caches! IMPOSSIBLE.

I am no Einstein and I am no Bear Grylls. More's the pity.

Anyway, well done on your impressive haul.

It's an imposition but would you do a review of them with what you thought their diff/terr ratings should be?

Great achievement.....or was it?

I'm not being sniffy here but rather would welcome your report on the actual 5/5 nature of the caches you have done.

100 of them is a true achievement and, therefore, I think you are uniquely able to appraise them.

I have yet to see a proper 5/5 and I really don't think I will ever be able to do one. 5 terrain and 5 difficulty, seems to me that a combination of Einstein and Bear Grylls is needed. I sadly lack on both counts. What's this? I have actually done 2 of these devilish 5/5 caches! IMPOSSIBLE.

I am no Einstein and I am no Bear Grylls. More's the pity.

Anyway, well done on your impressive haul.

It's an imposition but would you do a review of them with what you thought their diff/terr ratings should be?

]

smstext gave a rough summary of what he thought there.

Edited by Wonkey Donkey

I think that it's impossible to have anything like an objective measure of what makes a 5/5 cache, nor is it particularly desirable (after all, it's just a silly pastime to get you out of the house a bit).

As a rough rule of thumb, if it's likely that some average person (however you define that) could find the cache from a standing start within a day then it can't be a 5/5. Or look at it another way; if you decide to go out and log a couple of 5/5 caches then unless you've already done some preparation you can't expect to do them both in a day.

Obviously that doesn't mean that a cache that takes more than a day (such as a series bonus, or a very remote cache) should therefore be 5/5; but it is a test that you could apply if you have little experience of 5/5 caches and you suspect that those that you've completed were overgraded.

I think that it's impossible to have anything like an objective measure of what makes a 5/5 cache, nor is it particularly desirable (after all, it's just a silly pastime to get you out of the house a bit).

As a rough rule of thumb, if it's likely that some average person (however you define that) could find the cache from a standing start within a day then it can't be a 5/5. Or look at it another way; if you decide to go out and log a couple of 5/5 caches then unless you've already done some preparation you can't expect to do them both in a day.

Obviously that doesn't mean that a cache that takes more than a day (such as a series bonus, or a very remote cache) should therefore be 5/5; but it is a test that you could apply if you have little experience of 5/5 caches and you suspect that those that you've completed were overgraded.

That's a personal viewpoint but flawed one.

Of smstext's listing of 100 5/5 caches I doubt very much if there are many [if any ] that fall within this criteria.

That's a personal viewpoint but flawed one.

Of smstext's listing of 100 5/5 caches I doubt very much if there are many [if any ] that fall within this criteria.

I did say it was only a rule of thumb, but the only caches that I've found that were close to deserving the 5/5 rating took several days work and I'd be amazed if many could be just be done by reading the cache description and going to the cache all on the same day.

Mostly the difficulty would be because of a really hard puzzle that takes weeks to crack, or because the cache needs some sort of reconnaissance, and equipment to retrieve once you've spent hours actually getting near. Clearly if the cache is deep underwater and also guarded by heavy camouflage you might stand a chance if you have the gear and skills already; but even so, chances are that you'd need several attempts over a period of time.

Well done indeed and congratulations.

I'm glad to see that I contributed 5% of those 100 and from the logs you enjoyed the day.

It's a pity the highest rating is 5/5 as I've been approached by two sources to add to the Below Above series.

I've always intended that there would be 7 in the whole series and that would be enough. I must get on with completing those two and do battle with the Reviewers once again.

But on a recent trip as guide it was suggested by a geocacher there should be a Below Above - Multi 3. As if that isn't enough I have been approached by a caver who would like to see a cache in a specific quarry that would take geocachers to the remoter and less visited spaces of interest.

That should be enough encouragement to get my backside in gear and get Below. Once it happens I hope it won't be long before a good friend has to make me some more Coins ;-)

Oh to be the proud owner of 9 of them.

Clawz

"smstext" seems to be banned and locked now. I wonder what happened? He still seems to be active; and this recent cache looks pretty desperate. Can't say I'd be queuing for the FTF!

I visited 4 local "5/5" caches today just to see whether this grade is becoming devalued. I don't want to criticise the cache owners as I'm sure there are plenty of other examples elsewhere and this was just a random sample, but I found three of them and they were really 1.5/3, 2.5/3.5, and 1/3.5 (in my humble opinion). The DNF was probably 3(ish)/3. Another one I found was meant to be 5/2 and I found it 1.5/3.5. Again IMHO.

The only thing they had in common was that they were excellent caches, but it rather spoilt them that they were advertised as "extreme" when really just slightly awkward to get to. None that I found was remotely "difficult".

I have found genuine 5/5 caches in the past and they took ages (plus a lot of effort and preparation), and I've attempted several others and failed completely. As you'd expect. One of mine was found this week, and to put it in perspective; they broke out the champagne when they finally got their hands on the cache.