Why put caches at dumpsters?

d&bok

Out-of-towners come into your community to do a little geocaching and find themselves in the most disgusting places, with garbage over flowing from the dumpsters, oil/slime on the ground, homeless/drug addicts sleeping behind it, etc. Why do people keep putting caches in these places? Is that what they want people to think about their area?

Barb

People would hide it back there because its easy to hide, probably wont get stolen, or they cant think of a better spot

Or they could be lazy.

Well hey, in the absence of SBell111, KBI and Mushtang, someone has to defend dumpster cachers. :ph34r:

Yes, it's ironic that those who fought valiantly for the spewing of lame micros are not here to enjoy them. :D

PQs are set to filter out all caches..

The "high tech treasure hunt" phrase really does not seem to fit to the process of buying a $10 app and zooming in on a LPC to find a film can over and over hundreds of times.

Yes, it's ironic that those who fought valiantly for the spewing of lame micros are not here to enjoy them. :D

If you close your eyes, you can almost see it in print.....

People place dumpster caches because they enjoy finding dumpster caches themselves.

Kidding! Just kidding. That's not a real quote. But it probably would have been. :ph34r:

People place dumpster caches because they enjoy finding dumpster caches themselves.

Kidding! Just kidding. That's not a real quote. But it probably would have been. :ph34r:

Oh no! I should go into hiding now. :ph34r:

Thats pretty close! Could be exact without the word "themselves", I suspect.

The Coyote Red retort would be a bit more wordy and harder to predict, but the Clan Rifster sarcasm is more predictable, as well as the Mushtang/KBI response, with KBI using larger words and being a little more obsessive. Add a wall of text by toz defending it, a few humourous comments by Briansnat, and a new thread by Creekfalls90, and you're all set to go! :D

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Oh no! I should go into hiding now. :ph34r:

Why, did you ever get reprimanded for phony quoting someone? Considering who it was, figured I can get away with it. :lol:

The Coyote Red retort would be a bit more wordy and harder to predict, but the Clan Rifster sarcasm is more predictable, as well as the Mushtang/KBI response, with KBI using larger words and being a little more obsessive. Add a wall of text by toz defending it, a few humourous comments by Briansnat, and a new thread by Creekfalls90, and you're all set to go! :D

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Did Coyote Red and KBI ever battle it out? Coyote Red (anti dumpster caches) probably hasn't been seen in these parts in 5 years; KBI much more recently. KBI was certainly well versed in the written word, and always stood his ground. I also found it very strange (from the off-topic forum) that he and his brother Mushtang were both totally staunch Republicans. I've always tended to think that people who are all "peace, love, parking lot micros have their place, no cache is lame" to be more on the liberal side, politically. :blink:

It's a long standing joke about placing caches ON dumpsters, but does that really happen? Nearby to them, I'm sure.

Yes.

http://coord.info/GC15BY9

It's archived ... it was a 12 part multi, each part was a key case on a dumpster. I never bothered with it, but I was surprised that some people did even after saying what a bad idea it was.

Cool, a 12 leg dumpster multi. At least it's in one of Rochester's more affluent suburbs. :laughing: But you know, the guy did it on purpose. It's not like he put out a cache in the alley behind a store on the dumpster with "Quick park-n-grab" as the entire contents of the cache description. Brings up a good point though. Dumpsters are dynamic (often move several feet), and they get "changed out" quite often. Nope, not a good location for a cache.

Out-of-towners come into your community to do a little geocaching and find themselves in the most disgusting places, with garbage over flowing from the dumpsters, oil/slime on the ground, homeless/drug addicts sleeping behind it, etc. Why do people keep putting caches in these places? Is that what they want people to think about their area?

Barb

Where ARE these caches, anyway? I've been hearing about them for the past 7 years in these forums, but of the 6000+ caches I've found, I have yet to come across one. Yeah, some littered areas, generally near a roadside where that sort of stuff naturally collects, but a dumpster with drug addicts? Nope... never.

When you say, "why do people KEEP putting them [in places like that]", I'd have to think that you have found numerous caches in spots like those, and that really baffles me.

At almost 2,000 finds, I think I've found one cache on a dumpster, and two caches behind a dumpster. Ironically, all three are/were in my home town. :rolleyes:

My main problem is that I have a really good sense of smell. icon8.gif

Edited by Ambrosia

Barb

Where ARE these caches, anyway? I've been hearing about them for the past 7 years in these forums, but of the 6000+ caches I've found, I have yet to come across one. Yeah, some littered areas, generally near a roadside where that sort of stuff naturally collects, but a dumpster with drug addicts? Nope... never.

When you say, "why do people KEEP putting them [in places like that]", I'd have to think that you have found numerous caches in spots like those, and that really baffles me.

At almost 2,000 finds, I think I've found one cache on a dumpster, and two caches behind a dumpster. Ironically, all three are/were in my home town. :rolleyes:

I've never been able to smell a cache, although I tried to teach my daughter's dog to do it. :unsure:

Edited by jholly

Barb

I've never been able to smell a cache, although I tried to teach my daughter's dog to do it. :unsure:

It really comes in handy when searching for caches. :rolleyes: