Why put caches at dumpsters?

d&bok

Out-of-towners come into your community to do a little geocaching and find themselves in the most disgusting places, with garbage over flowing from the dumpsters, oil/slime on the ground, homeless/drug addicts sleeping behind it, etc. Why do people keep putting caches in these places? Is that what they want people to think about their area?

Barb

Dumpsters are part of the great circle of life. Not having dumpsters in commercial parking lots, would be similar to humans devoid of anuses - not a pretty sight.

Caches nearby also provide a handy excuse for cachers to provide to law enforcement officers for being in the area as a lookout while their buddy strips copper wires out of the office infrastructure to sell at the scrap yard.

Not to mention there also is a chance to view the nocturnal habits of raccoons, squirrels, rats and other wildlife.

Out-of-towners come into your community to do a little geocaching and find themselves in the most disgusting places, with garbage over flowing from the dumpsters, oil/slime on the ground, homeless/drug addicts sleeping behind it, etc. Why do people keep putting caches in these places? Is that what they want people to think about their area?

Barb

Well, I'm not a stalker or anything, and many others do this, but when a poster's location comes into question, I usually look at their hides to see where they're from. But I can't do that in this case. :) So are you saying it's "out of towners" who place these garbage, pun intended, caches in your area?

It's a long standing joke about placing caches ON dumpsters, but does that really happen? Nearby to them, I'm sure. And of course they have permission to put a cache out back of the plaza on private property near the dumpster, right? Yeah, sure they do. :ph34r:

Barb

Well, I'm not a stalker or anything, and many others do this, but when a poster's location comes into question, I usually look at their hides to see where they're from. But I can't do that in this case. :) So are you saying it's "out of towners" who place these garbage, pun intended, caches in your area?

It's a long standing joke about placing caches ON dumpsters, but does that really happen? Nearby to them, I'm sure. And of course they have permission to put a cache out back of the plaza on private property near the dumpster, right? Yeah, sure they do. :ph34r:

The very first cache I refused to log was a hide-a-key on the bottom of a dumpster.

...are you saying it's "out of towners" who place these garbage, pun intended, caches in your area?

Actually, it's pretty clear that THEY are the 'out-of-towners', and have found themselves repeatedly brought to such unsavory locations often enough to wonder if they are missing some underlying reason for caches to be placed in such locations.

I forgot one:

3. The cache owner has no self-respect, and doesn't think you do either. :mad:

Our rule for placing traditionals - if you wouldn't want to live there, don't place a cache there! :)

Great principle to work with!

It's a bit off topic, but I have to disagree.

My favorite caches are off in the woods, sometime requiring a difficult hike to get to. I don't think I would want to live there. But I suppose what is meant is that the cache is in some "nice" location that at least I might want to visit even if there wasn't a cache there.

I've had to look for some caches that were hidden in some very nice residential neighborhoods. Frankly it's not always the most comfortable place to be searching with the neighbor washing his car in his driveway or mowing his lawn.

I will say that I didn't mind the cache outside the Playboy Mansion, but another group that looked for it a night reported issues with security wanting to know what they were doing in the bushes with flashlights.

Seems like placing caches only where you would want to live is not a particularly good way to pick a location.

Our rule for placing traditionals - if you wouldn't want to live there, don't place a cache there! :)

My favorite caches are off in the woods, sometime requiring a difficult hike to get to. I don't think I would want to live there. But I suppose what is meant is that the cache is in some "nice" location that at least I might want to visit even if there wasn't a cache there.

I've had to look for some caches that were hidden in some very nice residential neighborhoods. Frankly it's not always the most comfortable place to be searching with the neighbor washing his car in his driveway or mowing his lawn.

I will say that I didn't mind the cache outside the Playboy Mansion, but another group that looked for it a night reported issues with security wanting to know what they were doing in the bushes with flashlights.

Seems like placing caches only where you would want to live is not a particularly good way to pick a location.

You're analyzing it way too much... my initial comment/joke was only meant to apply to the OP's topic.

I found one cache under a trashcan, but this was the only thing in a radius of ten miles, besides the fence and the road. So this was a great place to put it.

Never saw one near a dumpster, maybe I am in the right state where people have more possible locations to hide it.

...are you saying it's "out of towners" who place these garbage, pun intended, caches in your area?

Actually, it's pretty clear that THEY are the 'out-of-towners', and have found themselves repeatedly brought to such unsavory locations often enough to wonder if they are missing some underlying reason for caches to be placed in such locations.

I forgot one:

My bad, totally missed that one! Well, the OP is going to have to start researching caches before going to see if they're interested in them. It only takes a couple seconds in most cases to spot a dumpster cache on the Google Sat. view.

I forgot one:

My bad, totally missed that one! Well, the OP is going to have to start researching caches before going to see if they're interested in them. It only takes a couple seconds in most cases to spot a dumpster cache on the Google Sat. view.

Well I guess we are all speculating but I read this differently. I thought the OP was saying that by other owners placing caches on dumpsters in their town that this gives a bad impression to visitors. In the extreme case - imagine a nice town, with nice parks etc, but the hides in the town are dominated by one owner who puts a cache on every dumpster. If I lived in that town I could avoid the dumpsters, but it would bother me that these hides are making my town look bad.

>but it would bother me that these hides are making my town look bad.

so you better go out and claim all the good positions first :-)

oh heck, maybe only the bad positions are left for dumb-trash-caches..

or better, write that CO a friendly mail, help him to make good hides,

also remember turists actually go and find caches, and they take pictures,

and talk about all the nice (or not so nice) things they find.

I do also find alot of dump sites, it really hurts me to see how many people dump stuff,

it is like you find a nice remote location where people can search for a cache without too many muglers,

this is most likely also a good place for (bad) people to dump their trash...

Barb

Where ARE these caches, anyway? I've been hearing about them for the past 7 years in these forums, but of the 6000+ caches I've found, I have yet to come across one. Yeah, some littered areas, generally near a roadside where that sort of stuff naturally collects, but a dumpster with drug addicts? Nope... never.

When you say, "why do people KEEP putting them [in places like that]", I'd have to think that you have found numerous caches in spots like those, and that really baffles me.

Edited by knowschad

You're analyzing it way too much... my initial comment/joke was only meant to apply to the OP's topic.

Toz doesn't overanalyze things. You must be thinking of somebody else. :lol:

This was a real cache, archived in 2009. What you do when you see this on the Google Sat View on the cache page, is put it on the ignore list. I mean if you start anti-Dumpster cache forum threads, that is. Plenty of gleeful smiley seekers made their way to this dumpster.

7536733218_a4ed232914.jpg

Why thread remind me of ashnikes?

:ph34r:

We need ashnikes back!

Kidding. :laughing:

We need ashnikes back!

Never found a cache on a dumpster, but I did once find a piece of velcro that once held a cache on a dumpster, and the cache was by ashnikes, and the dumpster is probably where he got his cache containers from. The cache is this one http://coord.info/GC29RCB (hope I don't get banned for posting that link :laughing: ). Funny thing is, the person I was caching with that day actually went back when the cache was replaced.

We need ashnikes back!

Never found a cache on a dumpster, but I did once find a piece of velcro that once held a cache on a dumpster, and the cache was by ashnikes, and the dumpster is probably where he got his cache containers from. The cache is this one http://coord.info/GC29RCB (hope I don't get banned for posting that link :laughing: ). Funny thing is, the person I was caching with that day actually went back when the cache was replaced.

He was quite something on this forum. I got a feeling hes history but he left a good mark and people wont forget him, ever! :blink:

I did some googling today and foundthis Not sure if I should laugh or what! :ph34r:

This was a real cache, archived in 2009. What you do when you see this on the Google Sat View on the cache page, is put it on the ignore list. I mean if you start anti-Dumpster cache forum threads, that is. Plenty of gleeful smiley seekers made their way to this dumpster.

Sometimes the food was better at the dumpster?

Doug 7rxc

Sometimes the food was better at the dumpster?

Doug 7rxc

Depend, most are junk food. I know plenty since I was invited by 3 different family and they all showed me their loots. :blink:

We need ashnikes back!

He was quite something on this forum. I got a feeling hes history but he left a good mark and people wont forget him, ever! :blink:

I did some googling today and foundthis Not sure if I should laugh or what! :ph34r:

Who is ashnikes?

We need ashnikes back!

Who is ashnikes?

A cacher that goes dumpster diving.

I found one cache under a trashcan, but this was the only thing in a radius of ten miles, besides the fence and the road. So this was a great place to put it.

Never saw one near a dumpster, maybe I am in the right state where people have more possible locations to hide it.

The fence would be better!

But seriously, where do you live that there are no other things within a radius of 10 miles? :unsure:

Where ARE these caches, anyway? I've been hearing about them for the past 7 years in these forums, but of the 6000+ caches I've found, I have yet to come across one. Yeah, some littered areas, generally near a roadside where that sort of stuff naturally collects, but a dumpster with drug addicts? Nope... never.

When you say, "why do people KEEP putting them [in places like that]", I'd have to think that you have found numerous caches in spots like those, and that really baffles me.

You need to get around more!

Found one just today...not really ON the dumpster, but 25 feet from it behind the grocery store near the receiving dock.

A lovely area with an AMAZING view...NOT!

I just log 'em and move on...the area (Phoenix Metro) is rife with them, they are nearly unavoidable.

Now if us locals had the chance to post un-favorite points, we could save the out-of-towners a lot of grief. But we all know there is no such thing as a 'bad' cache...right? :ph34r:

Barb

There is one reason, it's called +1

It seems that people have forgot or haven't even heard of this quote:

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

So cache can be placed behing dumpsters if you want to say something.

I think that most of the people don't have any message to tell you in those cases.

That looks more like a LPC cache to me. LPC caches aren't that far off from dumpster caches, IMHO.

I like the logic of "would you want to live here" but I would suggest tweaking that to, "Would you visit here if there was NOT a cache at this location?". I don't want to live in the woods, at the edge of an overlook or just off a hiking trail. But I sure like to visit all of those things and we do so. My favorite caches are the ones that lead me to a park, an overlook, a monument or some other cool sight that I would have never stumbled across on my own.

okay, you did not like the cache, nor can I say I blame you, but unless its really egregiously bad or unsafe, your logs are not being very fair if you ask me in the situation.

You posted this on this, GC1WA56. One of your recent finds and a cache I have done. Maybe its your dumpster cache. I do not know.

"Thanks to JCar for his helpful hint - because the hint from the owner didn't help at all."

not all hints have to make the cache instantly findable otherwise they would all be easy. I have done this cache in question. It obviously has no favorite points so its probably not the best cache in the world, but still, you gave out who your PAF was (because his log sure did not give anything away) and then you were a little blunt in your hint scorn.

Same day, GC36JBA. Another cache I have found in my area. A micro listed as 1.5/1.5. Description is as follows. A quick and easy cache.

We noticed our area has been loosing caches and that there are plenty of places available. This is the first of a few planned.

Here is what you logged.

"First off, this is NOT a micro. It is a nano. Makes a difference when looking for it. Also not all of us are 6' tall so think about that when placing them. Again, do you want visitors to the area to go away with a favorable impression or not? TNLNSL"

He used the smallest description of size in his description. He does not have to say its a nano. Its accurate. Maybe it would help knowing its a nano, but he did not say wrong information. I admit, I probably have said things by accident especially in my early caching days, but you state in your opening quote that you want folks to be a little more considerate in their cache location...how about trying to be a little more considerate in your logs?

I have tried to make mine better since some folks pointed that out to me in my early days, so am not casting stones without looking at myself in the mirror.

That looks more like a LPC cache to me. LPC caches aren't that far off from dumpster caches, IMHO.

That little "A" in the red circle is not the cache location. If you do a search using lat/long coordinates in Google it will always add a marker with an "A" in it to the nearest feature to the specified coordinates.

I've found one once cache that wasn't actually stuck to a dumpster but it was in an area similar to the photo (surrounded on three sides by a wall). It was stuck to something metal behind the dumpster. The worst part about it was that I was out on a full day of caching and had picked out a specific cache for a milestone number cache. Somehow my count got messed up and the dumpster caches ended up being marked as the milestone. To me, it doesn't really matter if a cache is *on* a dumpster. If it's close enough to smell the dumpster, that's too close.

Barb

People would hide it back there because its easy to hide, probably wont get stolen, or they cant think of a better spot

Barb

People would hide it back there because its easy to hide, probably wont get stolen, or they cant think of a better spot

Or they could be lazy.