WestCan 3

hurleyanne

WestCan 1 had somewhere in the region of 700 people, WestCan 2 had somewhere between 700 and 900 people in attendance. The idea behind the series is that they support rural economic development, so hosting in an urban centre likely wouldn't fly. A proposal that outlines finances, management team/structure, the venue, benefit to the region and the primary sponsors is required if someone is contemplating hosting #3, but it takes a good year to organize one of these, so unlikely that anyone could pull it off for 2013 at this point in time - but it would be great to see one come together for 2014 in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

Edited by Landsharkz
The idea behind the series is that they support rural economic development

Whose requirement is that?

The original proposal for funds from Alberta Treasury and Western Economic Development was based on 'western rural economic development', (hence the Badlands) and using geocaching as a tool to bring people to a western province's rural region. This event is about the west and it's about rural so it would no more be held in Regina than in Ontario. The legacy aspect was also key in their proposal - it had to continue and benefit other rural regions.

Our WestCan2 proposal outlined the benefits to the rural Cowichan Valley region. We set up partnerships with the local geocachers, BC Parks, Cowichan Tourism, the Cowichan Valley Regional District and the local media before we put in our proposal for WestCan2. We also booked a venue to hold Island Spirit 2012 even if we weren't chosen to be the next WestCan. I suppose the locals didn't know that, but Island Spirit was happening anyways, it was the WestCan2 designation that was confirmed later. Our Island Spirt team was in place long before the bid went in (we submitted our bid back in April 2011 I believe).

The 'Logbook' banner: 62786776-75a0-4569-84a9-9951a1171c01.jpg

Here is the schedule of events we lined up: Schedule . Make sure and check the links.

Who is the contact if one is interested in hosting WestCan3?

You can read about the WestCan series here: http://www.island-spirit.ca/the-westcan-mega-series/

If you would like to put together a bid, please contact us for more info. There is a group of exec from WestCan1 and WestCan2 that are reviewing submissions.

There has been an enquiry to host a WestCan event in 2013 and also an enquiry for 2014.

Details will be posted as they are firmed up.

You can read about the WestCan series here: http://www.island-spirit.ca/the-westcan-mega-series/

If you would like to put together a bid, please contact us for more info. There is a group of exec from WestCan1 and WestCan2 that are reviewing submissions.

There has been an enquiry to host a WestCan event in 2013 and also an enquiry for 2014.

So I take it nothing ever came of this.

If that is the case, it doesn't say much for geocaching in Western Canada when we can't even manage to host one mega event a year.

So I take it nothing ever came of this.

If that is the case, it doesn't say much for geocaching in Western Canada when we can't even manage to host one mega event a year.

To me, geocaching is so much more than just big events. From what I've seen, geocaching in western Canada is thriving.

Sorry for the long wait, but great things take time!

We had multiple bids for multiple years and so the WestCan committee deliberated and decided to award WestCan3 and WestCan4 simultaneously.

A western Canadian event that is happening in the summer of 2013 has been advised that their bid was successful for WestCan3 and another event has been advised that their bid for WestCan was successful and will be WestCan4.

WestCan3 will be announced here in a day or three... basically as soon as they have the branding in place.

WestCan4 will be announced at WestCan3.

WestCan5 is also waiting in the wings.

We are pleased to be able to officially announce that the WestCan3 designation has been awarded to Gold Country's Geocaching Poker Run (WestCan3)! Their info on the event listing will be updated and edited over the next couple of days, but we wanted to share the news NOW, because we know that some folks are hoping to include WestCan in their summer plans.

Log your Will Attend on the event Listing here: Gold Country Geocaching Poker Run (WestCan3) and watch for online registration coming soon!

Read about the Gold Country event here: http://www.goldtrail.com/events.cfm

100 new geocaches are being hidden in preparation for the Gold Country Geocaching Poker Run (WestCan3)! This adds to the approx 140 geocaches placed for Gold Country GeoTours in 2009 and 2012.

Geocaches hidden for their previous two GeoTour events are all still in place and being maintained by Gold Country and volunteers. You can purchase Volume 1 and Volume 2 of their spiral bound interpretive field guides and participate today! You can also download the pages for free here: http://www.goldtrail.com/what.cfm.

Volume 1: http://goldtrail.com/Site%20Pages/E%20book%20Field%20Guide.pdf

Volume 2: http://www.goldtrail.com/Images/GC_FieldGuidePhase2_English_ForWeb.pdf

Their GeoTour is Canada's only GeoTour and also the largest! http://www.geocaching.com/adventures/geotours

Gold Country tourism has a staffed tourism office where geocachers can stop in to say Hi while they're geocaching in Gold Country. There's a website for the Gold Country GeoTourism where you'll find a link to 'events' in the main image and on the sidebar. You will see updates over the next few days. http://www.goldtrail.com/index.cfm

We hope to see you in Gold Country this summer!

The announcement for WestCan4 will be made at WestCan3. WestCan4 has been selected and the event is in planning stages.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is not just sticking (WestCan3) on the

end of an event that is already in place.

I thought that WestCan series was a stand alone event not something to just be

added to other events.

Who else has the expertise needed to host a mega except those who have hosted big events before? I'm sure it would have been ideal for the event to be marketed as the WestCan 3 Mega from the beginning but maybe negotiations took so long that they had to get the event published and promoted for it to be a successful event anyway and give people enough notice to plan their vacations to attend. The Poker Run would obviously have gone on whether its bid to be WestCan 3 was successful or not. Just be grateful that there is a WestCan 3 happening this year. I know we are thrilled there is a WestCan 3 happening at all :)

I, personally, can never understand why people tend to be so bitchy when a mega (that is close enough that you can actually attend it) is announced. Just register, show up, have a great time, go home happy with wonderful memories and a pocketful of new geostuff, and be grateful that somebody stepped up to host one at all.

Just my opinion.

Ms. GeoMeerkats

how does a poker rally geocaching event work? I am wondering if this is more suitable for families or adults? Is this somewhat of a combination of power trails in different communities with a twist on finding geocaches and then utilizing the cache finds for another purpose. Sorry, I've never tried this type of activity.

Geodad.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is not just sticking (WestCan3) on the

end of an event that is already in place.

I thought that WestCan series was a stand alone event not something to just be

added to other events.

As an example, The Island Spirit event had been in the works for a year before our bid for WestCan was approved. We had the committee, parks departments and tourism groups on side, the venue booked, $$$ commitments in place and then we placed our bid for WestCan because we felt that Island Spirit met the criteria. There was no turning back if we'd been turned down, the Island Spirit event was going forth anyways but the designation gave it oooomph! Yes, the WestCan designation can be added before or after an event is published.

Who else has the expertise needed to host a mega except those who have hosted big events before? I'm sure it would have been ideal for the event to be marketed as the WestCan 3 Mega from the beginning but maybe negotiations took so long that they had to get the event published and promoted for it to be a successful event anyway and give people enough notice to plan their vacations to attend. The Poker Run would obviously have gone on whether its bid to be WestCan 3 was successful or not. Just be grateful that there is a WestCan 3 happening this year. I know we are thrilled there is a WestCan 3 happening at all :)

Mrs GeoMeerkats must have been a fly on the wall :) . Gold Country has met the criteria and although it would have been wonderful to announce a WestCan last fall, it took a while for groups to come forward and then we had a rush of them... which is why we are at the discussion table for 2015 also. We could have gone without a WestCan this year, but we chose not to. Gold Country is so far into planning stages that we felt with support from the geocaching community in Western Canada we could put it over the top. They already expect attendance close to Mega and now they are more than confident.

Please share the word, encourage folks to visit Gold Country and to take part in all the activities that are planned. WestCan4 will be announced at the event in Merritt, BC!

how does a poker rally geocaching event work? I am wondering if this is more suitable for families or adults? Is this somewhat of a combination of power trails in different communities with a twist on finding geocaches and then utilizing the cache finds for another purpose. Sorry, I've never tried this type of activity.

Geodad.

I'm not sure how the poker part of it all works but if you go to this page Gold Trail News Link and scroll down, you will see the event for each day listed. If you click on the event for each day, you will see that there is lots there for families and kids.

We thoroughly enjoyed our caching trip to Gold Country a few years ago and that was just driving around geocaching and sightseeing. Throw a mega, add lots of events, lots of geocachers, a geo-mall, lots of excitement and enthusiasm and it will be a "must attend" event for any geocacher!

(Hey Gold Country! You might want to hire me as part of your rah-rah promotions team! lol ;) )

Edited by GeoMeerkats

I have asked questions about the GeoPoker Run component of the event and this will hopefully clarify how it's going to work.

At the main launch event on the 29th of June, there will be no poker games but there will be all sorts of other geocaching related activities. You will receive information about how to participate in the Poker Run component of the event and you can start right away if you want, or chip away at it over the next 8 days.

There will be bags for everyone who pays to register at the full price level and in it there will be a really awesome trackable geocoin along with other goodies. The kids who register at a paid level will receive a kids' goodie bag with cool kid stuff.

A minimum of 100 new caches are being hidden in Gold Country which will be much like the previous two launches of ~72 caches in 2009 and again in 2012.

There were be 24 additional locations to stop and choose a card to make up your poker hand. There is money as well as sponsored prizes for the wrap up on the 7th. If I understand correctly, if you're only able to attend the a few days, you can give your hand to a friend to take to the wrap up on the 7th. There's a procedure to know who's cards are who's right from when you draw them.

Early Bird registration is $12 'till May 31. After May 31 the price is $17. Under 19 is $5.

You can see the cool coins on this Registration PDF. Plus you can print it off, fill it in and send it off this weekend! :laughing:

Registration Form

Extremely thrilled!!!

Gold County is planning and hosting the WestCan3! Gold Country would like to give a tremendous thank you to all of our supporters of our GeoTourism Program as well of our upcoming 1st Annual Gold Country Geocaching Poker Run (WestCan3)

Landsharkz and the GeoMeerkats have been a tremendous help for us answering potential attendees questions. (We are just finishing up with the GeoTourism program’s funding and final reports, so this announcement has been exciting for us, but also come at a time where we are *happily* swamped!) Landsharkz is a part of the WestCan committee and has stepped forward in helping us during this time with promotion and we are especially grateful in their help on the geocaching forum, where as of right now, we do not yet have a strong presence.

If you have any direct questions for us, please give us a shout or an email and we will get back to you with an answer.

phone as collect 1-877-453-9467

email us at geotour@telus.net

check out our websites: goldtrail.com (geocaching specifiec site)

and exploregoldcountry.com (visitor info specific site)

Thanks again to ALL of our loyal fans and supporters! We are very much looking forward to spending some time with you this summer 2013!

Extremely thrilled!!!

Gold County is planning and hosting the WestCan3! Gold Country would like to give a tremendous thank you to all of our supporters of our GeoTourism Program as well of our upcoming 1st Annual Gold Country Geocaching Poker Run (WestCan3)

Landsharkz and the GeoMeerkats have been a tremendous help for us answering potential attendees questions. (We are just finishing up with the GeoTourism program’s funding and final reports, so this announcement has been exciting for us, but also come at a time where we are *happily* swamped!) Landsharkz is a part of the WestCan committee and has stepped forward in helping us during this time with promotion and we are especially grateful in their help on the geocaching forum, where as of right now, we do not yet have a strong presence.

If you have any direct questions for us, please give us a shout or an email and we will get back to you with an answer.

phone as collect 1-877-453-9467

email us at geotour@telus.net

check out our websites: goldtrail.com (geocaching specifiec site)

and exploregoldcountry.com (visitor info specific site)

Thanks again to ALL of our loyal fans and supporters! We are very much looking forward to spending some time with you this summer 2013!

Will miss the pokerrun, in vancouver on the 28th to set sail up to Alaska, best of luck with this great event