"Needs Maintenance" attribute deletion

norbyte

Hi,

yesterday I got a "Needs Manintenance" log entry for one of my caches. I contacted the author and we found out, this was a false report. Ok, but I want to delete the "Needs Maintenance" attribute. I think, I can do this in two ways:

1. Post a "Owner Maintenance" log. => Normal way, but the needs maintenance log was a false report and I don't want to confuse the others.

2. Delete the "Needs Maintenance" entry. => Works, but the "Needs Maintenance" attribute does not get deleted. :(

I think, this is a small bug and should be fixed. Workaround: Post a "Owner Maintenance" entry and delete this entry additionally.

I think that maintenance of a geocache includes maintenance of the listing.

This includes control of the logs posted (off-topic, bogus found logs,

counterfeit, off-topic, etc... - there is a discussion about these cache owner's responsibilities in the foruns that lead to nowhere).

So, for this specific situation, I think you can post a owner's maintenance log saying that it is to clear a NM log posted by mistake.

edit: typing mistake.

Edited by MAntunes

Post an Owners Maintenance log.

You can always delete it afterwards, when the attribute has gone.

My opinion is that posting an Owners Maintenance log should be the ONLY way to remove the Needs Maintenance attribute! :)

Even if the NM log was posted in error.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

It is perfectly fine to post an OM log that says simply "The cache is still there, waiting to be found."

If the previous NM says something silly like "I couldn't find it so it MUST be missing", then that's a reflection on the poster, not on you or your cache.

Thanks for all your replies. I check my cache after every serios NM log and will than post an OM log to remove the attribute.

For false reports, I will delete both entries. You are right, reading the logs is also one part of an owner maintenance.

Thread can be closed.

If there are indeed no problems, I'd do my maintenance entry, but I would simply reset the attribute and leave the finder's log. If this becomes a habit with a particular finder, then your fellow cache owners will know how much stock to put into reports from that source.

Edited by ecanderson