Exploist GC will not load new caches.

I have the same sort of question. I bought the Explorist GC yesterday and when I first loaded it, many caches appeared automatically but I was not near where I was geocaching. I deleted them all thinking the close ones would reload when it picked up the signal again. This did NOT happen & now my geo cache list is EMPTY. Without downloading from the site and plugging in my Explorist GC, is there a way to "refresh" the cache list?

When I turn on my explorist gc a window comes up saying 1000.GPX files loaded. please consolidate additional files. I'm unable to download any new caches. I delete caches when I log them. How do I fix this? thanks.

I have the same sort of question. I bought the Explorist GC yesterday and when I first loaded it, many caches appeared automatically but I was not near where I was geocaching. I deleted them all thinking the close ones would reload when it picked up the signal again. This did NOT happen & now my geo cache list is EMPTY. Without downloading from the site and plugging in my Explorist GC, is there a way to "refresh" the cache list?

When I turn on my explorist gc a window comes up saying 1000.GPX files loaded. please consolidate additional files. I'm unable to download any new caches. I delete caches when I log them. How do I fix this? thanks.

Please tell me the process you used to load the caches onto the unit so I can help?

David

Magellan Insider

The GC comes loaded with what Magellan feels are worldwide great caches. I deleted all of them and loaded those nearby with a PQ and GSAK.

The GC comes loaded with what Magellan feels are worldwide great caches. I deleted all of them and loaded those nearby with a PQ and GSAK.

GrateBear,

Are you having this problem as well?

So once I delete the caches that are loaded the first time I turn it on, then I can only load from the geocache website? No more automated caches?

Please tell me the process you used to load the caches onto the unit so I can help?

David

Magellan Insider

I have never loaded new caches. The unit downloaded the caches when I turned it on but that was it.

So once I delete the caches that are loaded the first time I turn it on, then I can only load from the geocache website? No more automated caches?

This is correct. Those caches weren't "automated." They were just pre-loaded at the factory, and they were probably out of date by the time you got your unit anyway. Deleting them when you received the unit was the correct thing to do. The GPSr doesn't have any way to get caches on its own. You have to plug it in to a computer and load it yourself to get up-to-date cache information and more caches in your own area rather than all over the world.

This is correct. Those caches weren't "automated." They were just pre-loaded at the factory, and they were probably out of date by the time you got your unit anyway. Deleting them when you received the unit was the correct thing to do. The GPSr doesn't have any way to get caches on its own. You have to plug it in to a computer and load it yourself to get up-to-date cache information and more caches in your own area rather than all over the world.

The thing you need to do, if you're a premium member, is the setup a pocket query on Geocaching.com. Then you can delete all of the preloaded caches on the unit, which is only loaded on the unit as a sample. Once you've setup the pocket query and had to run here on the Geocaching site you can then load it to the unit in a number of ways. You can download the pocket query onto your computer and then connect your GC to your computer and drag and drop the unzipped file into the geocaching directory on GC or you can use an automated softare program like Magellan's Vantage Point Software or the GSAK software that is available at http://www.gsak.net.

If you would like some instruction on this, I have a video on Youtube , please understand that creating videos isn't my thing, but I made this to help people out. Please forgive the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ZsZhlY_MU

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers

GrateBear,

Are you having this problem as well?

Actually, no. The unit died and I tried all the various ways to get it going. Called Magellan, and even though I received it as a prize, they agreed to a one-time exception and are replacing it at no charge. That's top-notch customer service!

The thing you need to do, if you're a premium member, is the setup a pocket query on Geocaching.com. Then you can delete all of the preloaded caches on the unit, which is only loaded on the unit as a sample. Once you've setup the pocket query and had to run here on the Geocaching site you can then load it to the unit in a number of ways. You can download the pocket query onto your computer and then connect your GC to your computer and drag and drop the unzipped file into the geocaching directory on GC or you can use an automated softare program like Magellan's Vantage Point Software or the GSAK software that is available at http://www.gsak.net.

If you would like some instruction on this, I have a video on Youtube , please understand that creating videos isn't my thing, but I made this to help people out. Please forgive the quality.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I cannot seem to figure out where I can find Vantage Point for my MAC computer. Do they make it? I am stuck on that part of your video, David.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I cannot seem to figure out where I can find Vantage Point for my MAC computer. Do they make it? I am stuck on that part of your video, David.

Sorry, I should have included that in the instructions. Neither Vantage Point or GSAK is available for the MAC. With the MAC you will need to create the Pocket Query(PQ) and have it run. Then you can download the PQ from the Geocaching website, which can be found on a "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab on the Pocket page. Once you've downloaded the pocket query, if you had the site compress it into a ZIP file, you'll need to unzip (uncompress) the file. Then you can connect your GSP to your MAC and drag-n-drop the .gpx file into the Geocache directory on the GPS. If the PQ came in ZIP format, it will have two files included in it. I would only drag-n-drop the one that does not have the "wpts" added onto the end of file name. If you do want to use the child waypoints contained in the file with the "wpts", which sometimes does add useful information, i.e., suggest parking locations and the such, you can drag-n-drop the file with the "wpts" into the waypoints directory on the GC.

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

Sorry, I should have included that in the instructions. Neither Vantage Point or GSAK is available for the MAC. With the MAC you will need to create the Pocket Query(PQ) and have it run. Then you can download the PQ from the Geocaching website, which can be found on a "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab on the Pocket page. Once you've downloaded the pocket query, if you had the site compress it into a ZIP file, you'll need to unzip (uncompress) the file. Then you can connect your GSP to your MAC and drag-n-drop the .gpx file into the Geocache directory on the GPS. If the PQ came in ZIP format, it will have two files included in it. I would only drag-n-drop the one that does not have the "wpts" added onto the end of file name. If you do want to use the child waypoints contained in the file with the "wpts", which sometimes does add useful information, i.e., suggest parking locations and the such, you can drag-n-drop the file with the "wpts" into the waypoints directory on the GC.

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

Perfect! Where do I drop it?

I tried the Maccaching.com APP but it seems to limit Magella caches to 200 & isn't recognizing my Explorist.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I tried the Maccaching.com APP but it seems to limit Magella caches to 200 & isn't recognizing my Explorist.

I am still trying to get my MAC to recognize the Magellan, IN the meantime, how do I log into the geocaching website on the Magellan? I see I can view stats and everything but no idea how to make them mine.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

I am still trying to get my MAC to recognize the Magellan, IN the meantime, how do I log into the geocaching website on the Magellan? I see I can view stats and everything but no idea how to make them mine.

The MAC should see the GC as a standard USB drive, just like a thumb/jump drive. Also, you will NOT log into the Geocaching website with the Magellan. The unit does not have a way to connect to the site and does not do so through your computer. Your computer is your go between for the unit and the site.

David

Magellan Insider