Paternoster (Lift)

...I don't know if they are global or just an European thing. Maybe some others from all around the world could tell if they can be found somewhere else....

"Paternosteraufzüge sind fast ausschließlich in Kontinentaleuropa und Großbritannien verbreitet." Wikipedia

Paternoster-Lifts are almost exclusively spread in continental Europe and Great Britain. Wikipedia

They are located to 95% inside buildings.

I find that they sound interesting. I don't think I have ever seen one. I think there may be a prevalence problem, I think there are only a few hundred worldwide with most being in Germany. It seems that in many places that they do exist that they either are currently or have been recently turned off or disallowed thus not much to see if they are not running.

I think they are interesting. Maybe just because I have never seen one yet. I see a prevalence problem, they are not only rare, most of the existing ones are probably in old office builings and not accessible to the general public. How many of them are really waymarkable? I have no idea. If there are really enough, I would support a category.

Thanks to Tante.Hossi for the input.

I'm hoping for a positive response ..... :rolleyes:

Global or not global:

There are also other categories they have many entries in America and only a few otherwise (see: "Abraham Lincoln" or "Improved Order of Red Men").

Why should not there be a category that has many records in Europe?

(Excuse my bad english) :yikes:

I think the main problem with these is that they are inside buildings.

And, although they are interesting for their unique operation, there is very little to photograph.

Can enough information be found for a particular site to write a description?

These are essential elements of a waymark: pinpoint geographical coordinates, good photographic display, informative description.

I think these really do not make good waymarks.

Certainly these are not prevalent. I don't think that is a problem, personally. I think Waymarking.com has a role in displaying and documenting objects and sites that may be rare.