Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BritzFloers

Survival Tips

Hello guys, can you give me any camping tips? Please also let me know some important items that I must bring for a camping trip..thankssss

Well a great deal depends on what type of camping you have planned. If your going to go camping in the deep woods you will need a great deal more than you would if you were staying at a campground. That being said, there are some basic things you will need. First a tent that is large enough to hold yourself and any others camping with you. When looking for a tent they will say how many people can sleep inside the tent. Now this number does not include your gear and clothing. If it says three man tent you can figure it will hold two adult men with their gear. Next you will need a sleeping bag. When choosing a bag be sure to get one rated for the environment where you will use it. Since you seem to be new to the idea of camping I would recommend a standard Colman brand one you can find at Walmart. These bags are good for most temperatures and do not cost nearly as much as the more expensive mummy bag types. Also if you camp with a significant other you can take two bags and make one large bag. Be sure to bring more than one method to make fire. A good lighter is always nice to have as are waterproof matches. You may also look into buying a magnesium fire starter. They are only a few bucks, can be placed on your key ring, and are very handy. You should also pick up a good flashlight if you do. It have one already. A hatchet is also a very handy tool to take with you when you go camping because it can be used for so many things, splitting fire wood, pounding tent stakes, splitting kindling, cutting food, and self defense. Other things you may consider picking up include a cooler, lantern, a pot, plastic dishes, bug spray, a first aide kit, and a trusty pocket knife. Also never forget to pack some rope, you never know when it may come in handy. The best type of rope to pack would be parra cord. It is light weight, very strong, and can be used for so many purposes. Additionally, it can be used to raise your food and dishes into a tree if you are camping in bear country. Hope this helps you. If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

I am not sure where on planet Earth you call home, so I will make a few generic recommendations.

Find a local scouting group (here in the US it is Boy and/or Girl Scouts). They would be happy to give you some camping lessons and advice.

Go to the local outdoor recreation store (Dicks and/or Gander Mountain are examples). They have professionals that are on staff that can assess your level of experience and get you the equipment you need.

If you are new to this, please find another family to go with! Learn from what they bring, what they leave at home. College campus have classes on beginning camping as well as the stores.

Since you posted here on Geocaching, it goes without saying: bring your GPS and plenty of spare batteries. Mark waypoints at the car, any time you have a split in a trail, memorable spots like a scenic creek bed, pay phones, etc.

Thanks for that lenghty explanation. Actually, me and my friends are planning to camping in Florida. I am not sure yet of the location but I am certain that we will be spending days. SO, I need to prepare a kit to bring. Better if I can buy a set. By the way, if you know some online stores that provides a complete emergency kit and gear, please let me know. thanks.

What a weird question....

Food, Shelter, Clothing.. and go from there.

Probably your most important item is to bring someone who has experience camping.

Thanks for that lenghty explanation. Actually, me and my friends are planning to camping in Florida. I am not sure yet of the location but I am certain that we will be spending days. SO, I need to prepare a kit to bring. Better if I can buy a set. By the way, if you know some online stores that provides a complete emergency kit and gear, please let me know. thanks.

Check out REI or Cabellas