Dakota 20 cache limits - using GSAK

Hi,

I'm using a Dakota 20 and GSAK. First let me just say, I really hate the 2,000 cache limit. Ok, I feel better.

This is what I think I know :blink: You can load 2,000 caches on the Dakota and use the geocaching feature. You can load additional caches as POIs.

We're traveling through multiple counties and I never know exactly where we'll be each day. Anyway, I loaded my pocket queries in GSAK. Filtered by the counties I thought I might be in and was able to stay under 2,000 caches. So I loaded caches to the Dakota from GSAK using File - Export - GPX/LOC file. I really want to use the Geocaching feature in the Dakota so that I can log my finds and upload to geocaching.com as field notes.

I would also like to be able to load my found caches, and other unfound caches, in other counties. I thought I could do that as POIs. I used the GarminExport.gsk macro, and the Garmin POI Loader. I'm not getting the original, filtered, under 2,000 caches in the Geocaching feature on the Dakota. Some just don't show up. They are in Where To - Extras - All Databases. But that's not what I want. I can't log them there, and they don't have all of the cache info easily available.

If there's a better/easier/different way, let me know. But I really want to be able to log the finds on the Dakota.

Any help would be appreciated. Then I know I'll have other questions. :D

I use a Dakota 20, as well as Oregon 450, 550t, and a Montana 650.

I also find the 2000 cache limit on the Dakota quite frustrating!

If you are using the latest version of GSAK and an updated version of the Garmin Export Macro, you are doing exactly as I am as well.

I have saved settings in that macro for each device, as they all have different limits for GPX files. Look carefully at all the settings you are using for your Dakota 20. For example, I have a limit of 11,000 caches set for my Montana 650, and only 1800 allowed for the Dakota 20. These are each slightly below the maximum allowed, so I still have room for other caches from other sources.

Under Export Selection, I choose 'Home' for location and 'Available' for filter.

You will only be able to log caches that are exported as GPX files, not POI's.

Are you auto naming the exported GPX files or manually naming them?

You will need to delete old GPX files from your device when sending new files. If you are using the same name each time, they will overwrite themselves. make sure you are not leaving old GPX files with geocache son the Dakota 20.

The Dakota 20 can only load 2000 geocaches as geocaches, period. Here are your options sticking with the Dakota.

1) Make separate PQ’s of 2000 caches or less for the areas you are going to visit. Keep the PQ’s for the area you are at in the garmin/gpx folder of your external memory. Keep the rest of your PQ’s in another folder and replace the PQ’s in the gpx folder for the new areas as you travel to them. The GPS will only read gpx files in the gpx folder. This will require a computer, phone, etc to move the files.

2) Have multiple microSD memory cards loaded with 2000 caches for different areas you travel to. Change the microSD cards as you travel.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I hadn't updated the counties, and I was querying in GSAK by county, so it wouldn't pull the caches with a blank county.

Atlas Cached: You ask am I auto naming the exported GPX files or manually naming them?

When I go to Export GPX/LOC in GSAK, a window pops up. Top line File Name to Create - I have H:\Garmin\GPX\caches.gpx And I'm using the same name each time, so it's overwriting the file and I don't have to delete it first, right?

Cacheoholic: When you say the Garmin can only load 2,000 geocaches as geocaches, do you mean it will only hold 2,000 gpx files?

Can I load my additional files as .csv with POI loader and access them in Where To - Extras - All Databases? I have folders in Extras called Found, Placed, Multi, Traditional, Virtual and Webcam. The caches in those folders aren't all in my Geocaching feature (some may be, not sure)

I do have a micro SD card. How would I get the Dakota to recognize caches on it?

Idlabs: If you are using that same name each time, it is overwriting itself and you should be OK :)

You can put more than 2000 geocaches on your device, but the unit will stop indexing after it reaches 2000 caches. To use a uSD card, simply create a Garmin\GPX\ directory on the uSD card and place any GPX files there you wish.

I use an uSD card for all my data so I can remove it should an error occur with the data that prevents the Dakota from operating properly.

Have you seen the Dakota Wiki?

You can load a geocache in 3 modes.

1) As a geocache which gives you full paperless capability but limited to 2000 caches or 200 gpx files.

2) Custom POI (points of interest). Gives semi-paperless capability when used with GSAK and macro. No limit other than memory size to how many caches you can load as POI’s.

3) Waypoints. Waypoints are the old fashion way that older GPS’s use. The amount of information is very limited. Your GPS capacity is 1000 waypoints.

I would highly recommend storing your PQ’s (pocket queries) on the external memory. Sooner or later your GPS will delay or crash on startup and you will lose some or all of your loaded geocaches. The fix is to remove all gpx files and do a clean startup; shutdown; replace gpx files and restart. This requires a computer if your files are loaded in internal memory or you can simply pull the microSD card if you keep the gpx files on external memory.