Caching in Zimbabwe

Zambesiboy

Hi guys - just wanted to say that I have been doing a little caching in Zimbabwe and have met a great chap - "Green Mealie" Have done a few of his caches. They are of a very high standard and in fantastic locations. Please support him if you come this way. He is an ardent lover of the bush and would love meeting caching folk and may even accompany you. Feel free to contact him in the usual manner.

This is brief from an Internet cafe - look forward to connectivity from next week!

All the best and safe caching.

Zambesiboy - actually - a lot closer to home!

Green Mealie also helped us out when we were in Zim in January, he's very passionate about geocaching, despite the lack of caches in Zim to find. I think he owns more than half the Zim listings, so not much for him to search for!

If you head through Harare give him a shout, I'm sure he will help out with a few of the out of the way caches.

He also volunteered to help with some maintenance on some caches we placed there, so if you are want to leave a physical container in a foreign land, this is the way to go about it.

Green Mealie also helped us out when we were in Zim in January, he's very passionate about geocaching, despite the lack of caches in Zim to find. I think he owns more than half the Zim listings, so not much for him to search for!

If you head through Harare give him a shout, I'm sure he will help out with a few of the out of the way caches.

He also volunteered to help with some maintenance on some caches we placed there, so if you are want to leave a physical container in a foreign land, this is the way to go about it.

Hi all

I have just returned from a very short business trip to Zimbabwe. I was only in Harare - but had the absolute pleasure of meeting up with GREENMEALIE - what a great guy. He took me out to do a few caches and arranged a Meet n Greet with some local cachers.

They are an AWESOME bunch - bushmanfred, Squash69; AJBanks; CullensHoey, Jaytoni and a few I can't remember.

I can honestly say - that Zim seems like a brilliant caching destination - not a whole lot of caches to find when compared with Gauteng or Cape Town - but Quality caches in almost every case!

The safety/political situation and fuel supply is also so much better than the general perception with life and travel not too much different than down south here.

I encourage anyone to consider a trip up north - making contact with the locals and arranging one of your best caching adventures ever!

Thanks TEAM ZIM - you guys rock!

Hey all,

Still relatively new having discovered the game by pure accident. Have been doing my best to up the number of caches in the Vic Falls/Hwange area, maintenance can be an issue as I'm not always in country.

I have a friend Kevin1984 who lives in VF who is also in the process of creating a few new ones there.

Greenmealie I found GC30ZWN, live quite close by at the moment.

I reckon it's time to have a topic or two on our "South African" forum about the neighbouring countries - as the caching communities are growing and we are becoming a more "southern" African community rather than just a single country.

I hope we see many more caches in the SADC countries - and a more active community. This will also hopefully allow a bit of a spot for info relevant to this country be posted and kept on the forum.

Zimbabwe has seen steady growth in caching over the past few years and last year overtook the likes of Kenya / Tanzania and Seychelles when it comes to cache find numbers.

Great to see caching growing - and also to hear of the southern cachers heading up to Vic Falls, Harare or Bulawayo and grabbing a few caches while there.

Hopefully we are going to be seein many more caches and cachers up north and many more of the S African cachers heading that way on caching holidays.