Questions about paperless caching on etrex 30/GPSMAP62S

I'm debating about upgrading from my eTrex Vista HCx to either the eTrex 30 or the GPSMAP62s. Haven't decided which one yet. The question I have has to do with the paperless caching capability. I understand you can read the description, see the last five logs, see the hints, etc. BUT can you see any pictures that may be part of the description? What about the basic map that also shows on the GSAK page prior to going online? Can you see either one of those items?

I'm debating about upgrading from my eTrex Vista HCx to either the eTrex 30 or the GPSMAP62s. Haven't decided which one yet. The question I have has to do with the paperless caching capability. I understand you can read the description, see the last five logs, see the hints, etc. BUT can you see any pictures that may be part of the description? What about the basic map that also shows on the GSAK page prior to going online? Can you see either one of those items?

As to the logs, you can see what you load. If you load more than 5 you see more than 5. You can see pictures if you load them. Garmin talks about that and there are macros with GSAK to help with it. The basic map from the cache page is not loaded, you need to have maps loaded on the device and then the caches show on those maps.

I'm in almost the exact same boat so please can I add another question to this post ? it's not too far off topic :rolleyes:

I have an eTrex Legend HCx and use a 2GB micro SD and looking to go to the eTrex 30

I travel all over the world and have plenty of " gmapsupp.img " for different countries, can I use these " gmapsupp.img " in the eTrex 30 ?

I've seen a few scare stories that I can't and it's locked with a garmin copy protect system ?

Or do I need gmapbmap.img and a gmaptz.img ?

Thanks

I travel all over the world and have plenty of " gmapsupp.img " for different countries, can I use these " gmapsupp.img " in the eTrex 30 ?

In your "older" Vistas and Legends, you loaded multiple maps together in one gmapsupp.img file. In the newer units (62s, and IIRC the new eTrexes) you load each map separately. The map goes in as "gmapsupp.img", but you can hook the GPS up to your computer and rename it as appropriate *.img. Each individual file is still limited to the tile/file size limitations, but you can have multiple files.

We have a GPSmap62s and an Oregon 450.

As far as maps - my husband knows more about that, but you can load different maps in. He has trail maps, topo maps, basic world map, local maps....Sorry, can't help you with those details.

The paperless aspect of both the 62 & Oregon - is you log them FOUND on the GPS. When you get home, hook up the GPS to the computer, login to geocaching.com, UPLOAD FIELD NOTES - and the rest is done via sitting at your computer (adding notes, messages, pictures, etc) to each FOUND entry and submitting.

Pictures? Never tried loading them....but I really don't know how they'd look on those small screens.

Edited by Lieblweb