Camp Muir!

Love

Some Lackeys and I are planning to head up to Camp Muir on Saturday July 14th. We'd love to have others join us!

Geocaches: GCA69 and GC1192

Info on the hike: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/camp-muir

Roundtrip 10.0 miles

Elevation Gain 4600 ft

Time: Start at the trailhead (at Paradise) no later than 8am.

Let me know if you're planning to come so we can know who to look for. Seems like meeting just outside the new visitors center would be best for a meet up spot.

I just returned from Camp Muir yesterday. You'll find the route to be in great shape and the lower trails are melting out quickly. Top o' the field is always accessible. As of this weekend, the scramble to Banana Slugs & High Places had almost completely melted out so while it is still an exposed scramble, you won't have to deal with snow.

I'd love to join this group but alas, I will be out of town that weekend. I would however be happy to answer any question people may have about the climb to Camp Muir.

I would however be happy to answer any question people may have about the climb to Camp Muir.

Ditto. Sounds like a great outing, Annie! My group went up in June 2007 and had a blast. We camped the night before at Cougar Rock and did both caches on a beeyootiful day.

Trudging up the snowfield - cache ahead and Old Bald Eagle

e44bad2e-be34-4f18-a21b-544f788b86f9.jpg

Mt Adams in the distance

6412cd2f-7c0b-4bd6-836d-2fe7b416cf9e.jpg

Almost there!

21c25b32-518d-41f8-93cd-9ed901a808db.jpg

Camp Muir, but not done yet - gotta get that Banana Slugs cache, and it's in a high place

d207f0a2-6322-40ff-99a6-936118ac4c0a.jpg

Edited by hydnsek

Ditto. Sounds like a great outing, Annie! My group went up in June 2007 and had a blast. We camped the night before at Cougar Rock and did both caches on a beeyootiful day.

That was a great day! I was with a later group of cachers that day - it was my first time up to Muir and it quickly became one of my favorite hikes in the NW. I'm hoping we're lucky enough to have decent weather again this time.

Some people in our little group are worried about the chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. We're still planning to head down and assess the weather situation when we get there. There's a chance we may choose to do a different hike, but we're still planning to meet at Paradise at the moment to decide.

Anyone else for sure planning to come?

Some people in our little group are worried about the chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. We're still planning to head down and assess the weather situation when we get there. There's a chance we may choose to do a different hike, but we're still planning to meet at Paradise at the moment to decide.

Anyone else for sure planning to come?

Thunder schmunder, I will be there.

It was a great day for a trip up to Camp Muir! There were some thunder clouds that looked to be heading our way as we left Camp Muir, but they never quite reached us. I was a little disappointed that we had to be the trend setters for glissading in most places on the snow fields...the tracks are so much better when you don't have to make them yourself. :) Anyway, we had a nice little group for the day. I do always love the atmosphere at Camp Muir with everyone being so friendly. Here we are at the start...

559083_10151911913370244_1569998925_n.jpg

Some of us have decided to head to Camp Muir again. This time, we're aiming for Sunday June 23rd (if weather is bad we may have to push it back to another date). We'd love to have others join us!

Geocaches: GCA69 and GC1192

Info on the hike: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/camp-muir

Round trip 10.0 miles

Elevation Gain 4600 ft

Time: Start at the trail head (at Paradise) no later than 8am.

Meet just outside the visitors center.

heading up Baker that day for a six day glacier training and to summit again, I love this mountain! Otherwise I would be ALL OVER THIS! If it gets moved to a different day, I will probably join you. If not, you all have fun!

As an aside, I may go up the week prior (training and all) if anyone is interested. It will be during the week, I am off school that week so I do not have any limitations for what day.

When you get to be 88, about all you have to brag about is your grandchildren. This is a quote from the Alaska Mountaineering School ==

"

AMS Guide Leighan Falley's Team called in from 14,200' camp. They did reach the top of North America and are making their way down at an enjoyable, easy pace. All is well with them and we look forward to seeing them tomorrow."

Our son Tom met his wife when both of them were guides on Mt. Rainer, Leighan is their first born and is now married to a Climbing Ranger for Denali National Park. They gave us a great grand daughter last August on my wife, Arlene's birthday. Leighan is also an artist and commercial pilot. What does this have to do with geocaching, nothing but we did get our 8,000 find near Hood River Saturday. Dick & Arlene

Edited by W7WT
Some of us have decided to head to Camp Muir again.

Hmm, we might just come out of retirement for this one and re-join you. We had a great time on the last one. We could get a pony keg of Rainier this time.

I like the way you think. :) I promised any Lackeys that come that I'd provide a can of Rainier for them - they just have to carry it to Camp Muir. Also would be great to have your company again!

Cool Cow and I were just up there on Saturday. The route is in good shape in spite of the 4' of snow they had on the snowfield last week. Don't expect to see all of that pavement you saw last year and be prepared to go straight up the avalanche chute to Panorama Point.

We'll actually be heading up to Camp Muir again on the 23rd with the Climb for Clean Air. We'll be making a 9AM start so we'll be sure to look for you on the way up!

f44eb1f0-d517-4cb7-b4c4-e00e01bcd3aa.jpg

Cool Cow and I were just up there on Saturday. The route is in good shape in spite of the 4' of snow they had on the snowfield last week. Don't expect to see all of that pavement you saw last year and be prepared to go straight up the avalanche chute to Panorama Point.

We'll actually be heading up to Camp Muir again on the 23rd with the Climb for Clean Air. We'll be making a 9AM start so we'll be sure to look for you on the way up!

Oh cool! Thanks for the trip report. Looks like you had a beautiful day! We'll see you at Camp Muir or on the trail. :)

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather - but plans are still on! We'll keep the plans of meeting at Paradise at 8am - and if the Camp Muir hike looks too nasty, then we can pick a back up hike nearby. Fingers crossed for the best!

I've done it before in high winds (50-60mph) and low temps. Just be prepared with wind protection and possibility of glaze ice. Ice axe highly recommended, and crampons would be best, but just be careful and descend if you do run into glaze ice without those items.

Slightly better but it is going to be a wet day. The snow level at 10,000' means any precip is going to be rain so be well prepared for cold and wet weather! If a trip to Camp Muir comes to the point where ice axe and crampons were required it is well beyond time to turn back.

So how many folks are going so I know who to look for?

Being Summer, we're not up for going in the rain/wet snow and/or no view. We're not out yet, but we're not convinced the weather is going to be all that great on Sunday. So, we're only weak maybes right now.

If a trip to Camp Muir comes to the point where ice axe and crampons were required it is well beyond time to turn back.

Camp Muir is usually just a grind up with hiking poles. But, it does happen. That one time in high winds it was good going up but coming back down that highest section had turned to hard glaze ice and even with the ice axe (no crampons) it was a nasty bit to descend. Not that common but just saying always be ready, even for Muir.

So it's a tough decision but I I've decided to postpone the Camp Muir hike. I agree that better conditions and getting a view are what make that hike one of my favorites. A lot of Lackeys had dropped out after seeing the weather and having injuries or other things come up. I'll let you know when I schedule a new date.

Hmm, we might just come out of retirement for this one and re-join you. We had a great time on the last one. We could get a pony keg of Rainier this time.

A keg is looking like a real possibility, assuming a hale and hearty lackey is willing to don this contraption:

2wrhjqw.jpg

That looks perfect! :) Since I might bring my heavy camera, I call "not it!"

Hike details are still the same - 8am at the visitors center. At least a few Lackeys and some of my other friends are planning to come along for the adventure!