Does anyone refer to cache Attributes while out caching?

It is nice to know if a tree needs climbing, but I would notice this at home when planning the days caching, rather than out in the field, other than that I don't really take any notice of them, other than noticing the amount of no snowmobiles allowed that seem to be cropping up...

Depends....

If I view a cache before going out to find it then I'll look at the attributes. But mostly I just go out and use the GPSr (Oregon/Colorado)....which has been mentioned don't support attributes (gpx 1.0.1?)

It's not a 'depends' then is it? It's a 'no'!

I wasn't asking if anyone uses Attributes

I was asking if anyone uses them while out caching

eg reach GZ and then have a look at the attributes

;)

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Delta68

I don't often look at attributes, especially in the field, but just a few times they've proved invaluable:

- occasionally there's an attribute which turns a near-DNF into a find

- when caching ad-hoc, an attribute can help determine whether to visit a particular cache.

As for seeing them on an Oregon, you need this GSAK macro. Caveat: I don't use this macro myself though I do use a modified version of its attribute display in my own macro.

How?

Are you using paper cache listings?

They don't show up on our Oregon

Mark

I use the GSAK Oregon output macro with "Always include my logs" set. I think there is an option sowmehere to include the cache attributes in this log and then you can see them on the Oregon. Sorry I can't for the life of me find the exact reference but if I do I will add to the thread. I certainly do use them on occasions.

Yes, quite often. I use the GarminExport macro for GSAK to export caches to my Oregon. This creates a dummy log as the first log for each cache, which lists the attributes. Here's the GSAK forum post which introduced the functionality (in 2010) - see item 7 for a screenshot.

Absolutely - but not "in the field", more when planning which caches to do. If it has a thorns attribute, I'll make dadgum sure I have longs sleeves and gloves. If it has a special tool required, then I'll try to make sure I find out what it is and take one.

I also look at the NM attribute when writing up my logs. If it's got a soggy log but already got an NM attribute, I probably won't add another.

I never have looked at them in the field - unless I have printed out the cache page (which I tend to do for multi caches or some puzzles).

My GPSr is a Etrex Legend HCx which supports very limited paperless (e.g. I download the first 30 characters of the hint).

I also have an iPhone and I will refer to this in the field if I get stuck; to get the full hint or read the description. I generally do this via a pocket query rather than "live" (it works faster, and works in places without any phone signal). I just noticed that in my pocket queries on the iPhone the Attributes are greyed out. When I look at caches "live" on the iPhone I can see attributes. I'm not sure if there is some way to have the pocket query include attributes that I'm missing?

When planning from home I do sometimes look at the attributes - but not always.

attributes do not seem to be in the gpx pocket queries .

They are if you choose GPX 1.0.1 (bottom of your account page). Note that this must be done twice (or did when I last used it) as the first time doesn't stick.

I have GPX Version: GPX 1.0.1 but I don't see the attributes on my iPhone using a pocket query.

I have GPX Version: GPX 1.0.1 but I don't see the attributes on my iPhone using a pocket query.

Perhaps not: that's a function of the app you're using. I was simply correcting Loony Londo who thought that attributes aren't in PQs. To confirm that they are, open the PQ in a text editor and you'll see tags such as

<Groundspeak:attributes>
       <Groundspeak:attribute id="56" inc="1">Medium hike (1km-10km)</Groundspeak:attribute>
       <Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="1">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
     </Groundspeak:attributes>

Perhaps not: that's a function of the app you're using. I was simply correcting Loony Londo who thought that attributes aren't in PQs. To confirm that they are, open the PQ in a text editor and you'll see tags such as

<Groundspeak:attributes>
       <Groundspeak:attribute id="56" inc="1">Medium hike (1km-10km)</Groundspeak:attribute>
       <Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="1">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
     </Groundspeak:attributes>

Thanks - you are right; they are in the PQ (I can see them in GSAK), but they don't show in the iPhone app.

Yes, sometimes. On my Oregon which has the first "log" set to display all of the attributes. It's made possible by a GSAK macro called ColoradoExport.gsk which also adds a diddy little icon for corrected, parking available and micro indicators.

As I'm only a newbie to this game I did refer to the attributes last weekend (they came up on my iPhone) as it helped to be able to tell my son what to look for. I also knew from looking at the details before leaving that one of them would definitely my husband to retrieve it because of it's position (I'm on the short side).