What a difference 11 years makes

Haps

It was 11 years ago when I discovered geocaching. I setup some of the first caches in my area.

Then I had to wait because there wasn't anything else. 6 weeks later I drove an hour to go find 2 new caches that were the closest to me.

Long absence and now I look. Holy moly that's a lot of caches out there. I can't believe how many are out there just on say a 50KM radius.

Time to dust off the GPS and gather up my kids and get outside again.

It was 11 years ago when I discovered geocaching. I setup some of the first caches in my area.

Then I had to wait because there wasn't anything else. 6 weeks later I drove an hour to go find 2 new caches that were the closest to me.

Long absence and now I look. Holy moly that's a lot of caches out there. I can't believe how many are out there just on say a 50KM radius.

Time to dust off the GPS and gather up my kids and get outside again.

Welcome back you must have the longest absence in caching history. :laughing:

Times have changed a lot since you left, now you have many caches of many types available to find. Oh, your old GPS will work just fine, mine is over 10 years old and works out just fine.

You can relive that experience: just try Challenges :laughing: (OK, I exaggerate, but ...)

"Longest Slump 3940 consecutive days without a find from 09/18/2001 to 07/01/2012" Is that a record by any chance
Wow... I think we've found the anti-kablooey.

I've known people with multi-year slumps before, but that 10+ years is impressive.

well, in your absence, you had some old caches still get logs, so you must have at least been hearing folks find your caches (though one could use a replacement it sounds).

Lots more to search for now, for sure.

Edited by lamoracke
"Longest Slump 3940 consecutive days without a find from 09/18/2001 to 07/01/2012" Is that a record by any chance

I've known people with multi-year slumps before, but that 10+ years is impressive.

I was gone for 5 years, I think, but yeah, 10+ years is impressive! :D

I was gone for 5 years, I think, but yeah, 10+ years is impressive! :D

There's a thread around somewhere. It's a couple years old, so this is probably it. A guy in my area with one find and one long since archived hide both in 2001, came back in 2009. And incredibly enough, hid a couple parking lot micros (and found about 50 caches). Then he dropped off the face of the earth again 6-8 months later. I'll be expecting to hear from him in about 2018. :(

Dusting off the GPS this week I think and will introduce my kids to the hobby.

Its pretty easy to change your caching name these days. You should check if "Rip Van Winkle" has been taken yet. :P

I see that you still have 3 active caches out there. They look like the sort that I'd love to find!

Edited by knowschad