New earthcache possibility?

seabee89

I want to place an EC, as they are my favorite type of cache to find. I am also very much a student of weather, particularly severe weather. I want to buildn an EC around the Tri-State tornado of 1925, and the damage it caused. would be a great educational opportunity. Meteorology is an earth science, so would this type of cache work as an EC?

For the purposes of developing EarthCaches, the definition of Earth science is really more limited to geological issues. If you can show that the geology of the area somehow causes these weather patterns to occur you may have a slim chance at getting published....but likely not.

For the purposes of developing EarthCaches, the definition of Earth science is really more limited to geological issues. If you can show that the geology of the area somehow causes these weather patterns to occur you may have a slim chance at getting published....but likely not.

I'll have agree...

I want to place an EC, as they are my favorite type of cache to find. I am also very much a student of weather, particularly severe weather. I want to buildn an EC around the Tri-State tornado of 1925, and the damage it caused. would be a great educational opportunity. Meteorology is an earth science, so would this type of cache work as an EC?

Actually. I'd love to see such a cache, but I think your chances to get it through as an Earth cache are bad as the earth science notion used by the GSA for Earth caches is somehow a bit narrow. This is another reason why I very much would like to have a type of virtual cache as an option as challenges are definitely not suited for educational purposes.

If you are not a geologist, you need not bother to participate, because this is a very exclusive club. Despite the many existing earth caches thay may cause you to think differently...

I know many EC-developpers in person and only one among them is a geologist and a further one has a geological background. So what you claim is not true in general.

I need to admit, however, that most of the Earth caches I regard as nice and educative were developped by people who have a knowledge of geology which is above the average (wherever they obtained it). That is not that surprising as without background knowledge Earthcaches often degenerate into being simply a location and a few lines of text that one can easily google in the internet. There is no real educative part present in those instances.

Cezanne

If you are not a geologist, you need not bother to participate, because this is a very exclusive club. Despite the many existing earth caches thay may cause you to think differently...

I've created 30 listings (many adopted out) with no background in geology...I possess only an interest and a desire to learn. You need not have a formal geology background to play...granted it helps.

Edited by Lostby7

I want to place an EC, as they are my favorite type of cache to find. I am also very much a student of weather, particularly severe weather. I want to build an EC around the Tri-State tornado of 1925, and the damage it caused. would be a great educational opportunity. Meteorology is an earth science, so would this type of cache work as an EC?

I don't know that this would work as an Earthcache, however this would be a great series. If would be great to follow the path of the tornado with a groups of caches or even a multi. Remember that Geocaching should help you see something or bring you to a place that a player may not have been to without "caching". Just because it's not an Earthcache doesn't mean its not worth doing. Don't be discouraged!

If you are not a geologist, you need not bother to participate, because this is a very exclusive club.

I'm not a geologist and I've just had my first Earthcache published, and I've got plans to create another when I get the chance to visit the site I have in mind. They do take a lot more effort to create than your average lock & lock in the woods (mine took me 4 full evenings to write, plus I did a fair bit of reading up and I visited the site a couple of times), but are very satisfying to create. If the OP can find a way that the tornado affected the geology of the area, that could potentially work.

Edited by buffhusky

I have four earth caches in Central London and I am not a geologist.

Did the tornado do some last damage to the landscape? Did it move any large boulders? Perhaps you could find photographs of the damage done and ask cachers to compare the photographs with the area now? You might find a way of measuring erosion - which would be an earth science issue.

I think we are getting a bit off topic on this.

Seebee89, I have spend more time thinking about your question. I thought about how would I approach it if I were you. This is what I would do to start down the exploration road. Head to the library to see if there is a book about the tornado. Research if there was any lasting geological effects. The best lead I think would be erosion (mechanical - wind, rain, etc) that caused a slump block (fallen rocks). You will have to do a bit if research to present the erosion portion (possibly the types of erosion chemical vs. mechanical).

If you do develop this, I am open to helping with resource material, ideas, or even helping with some text even.

Ok that is my last 2 cents on the subject. Best wishes in your research and development.

**NOT a Geologist**

If you are not a geologist, you need not bother to participate, because this is a very exclusive club. Despite the many existing earth caches that may cause you to think differently...

Add me to the list of non-geologists that own EarthCaches. I own seven and I am simply an eager student of geology on my own time...I own and read lots of geology books and ask a ton of questions.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian